Graphics improvements suggestions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hamiltonfan2205, Nov 16, 2014.

1. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Duplicating information is something I always try to avoid in my projects.
    Sooner or later it backfires on you one way or another.

That's one thing that bothers me the most. So many things developed and then wasted by some way too obvious flaws or not being connected to the rest of the sim "for time being".... It's something I can understand, but then that time becomes months or years as ISI moves to do something else, not even related.
    In many cases it doesn't qualify as "for time being" anymore.

True.
    Artist's job should be to describe how given object looks like, not which settings engine should use to render it.
    I've already started updating my material editor towards such approach, but I gave up on it two years ago. I didn't want to invest my time blindly.

2. stonec

stonec Registered

Material settings are indeed a pain to edit and a big part of the equation. Even most ISI tracks are tuned wrong, Indianapolis was first ISI track that used somewhat realistic road specular reflection. Road reflections from rain are also too weak on every ISI track. The best work in this area is done by Tosch. Norschleife isn't using as advanced tech as latest ISI tracks, but it looks at least as good imo, thanks to material settings and proper wet reflections.

Second annoyance with converting tracks to rF2 is that every texture itself needs to be massively de-saturated and "de-lightened". There is no need to do such thing in AC for example, rF1 conversion tracks with original textures look pretty ok with AC HDR. rF2 HDR is much more "aggressive" with colour transform, hence it's absolutely necessary to edit every single texture, or end result will look as from childrens colour book.

3. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

No, not at all.

The cars had a preferable scripted position to finish the race but it didn't mean they will achieve that position indeed.

If you have a front runner running in 20th probably someone will have a mechanical failure in front of you in order to "help" you to climb.

But this was the only variable "scripted" and easily removed with any GP3 Editor.

The races weren't scripted in any sense.

4. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I believe he meant that the game has already pre-determined race events before the race started, such as retirements and etc independent to performance. Performance obviously plays a role but the outcome of the AI without user interference is pre-determined. From my experience and testing that was certainly the case in older GP games, in GP4 I can't say I've seen that play out in the exact same manner when re-playing full weekend and full race sessions.

5. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

I see, but I've never seen this sort of behaviour in GP3 (GP4 I honestly say I played few times).

6. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

Farm out the graphics to one of the very good modding teams (APEX, URD, etc...) and leave ISI in-house team to concentrate solely on the physics.
    Sometimes you have to realize despite your best effort, something is above your capability.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. tjc

tjc Registered

Eh?

What makes you think ISI can`t handle the graphics...?

I think the graphics are improving all the time. There may still be improvements to make but I have every faith in ISI to do that.

I think your post is quite insulting to the graphics guys at ISI tbh...

8. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Yep. Condescending and insulting pretty much beyond everything. :(

9. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Not necessarily. He 'could' have just meant that they didn't have the manpower to be able to handle it; which is no insult. IDK...I try to give people the benefit of the doubt before lashing out at them... :)

10. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Development was announced in March 2009, release date January 10, 2012 (open beta)
    Non working HDR, shadows, environment and road reflections etc. how do he dare !!!!!

11. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Aka: you tried your best and failed. Not very nice indeed.

And the funny thing is... nothing indicates that graphics are beyond the capabilities of the ISI team...
    Unless it's just a "close your eyes and jump on the anti-rF2 bandwagon" thing.

Which again is probably why some of us are responding to that post...

12. tjc

tjc Registered

I didn`t lash out. :)

I responded to what was posted which I think was quite insulting...

Simple.

13. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I think the issue comes down to requirements at the time the project began and future-proofing. The Lolas are a prime example. In 2007-09 they'd have looked great, the renders were bad but the cars would have fit in magnificently. Except for the low resolution decals, the F-Renault model for example will likely not look outdated three years from now.

14. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

That is exactly what I meant....(from a man-power vs time to date standpoint).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  15. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

This makes even less sense than the insult option as "Graphics" means GFX programmers plus the entire car team plus the entire track team. All this manpower working on graphics it is not working on physics and, at the same time, a car modding team it is not working on lighting, graphic engines, shaders, tools, 3D track assets, textures etc. Apples and bananas.

16. tjc

tjc Registered

Well you certainly could have worded your post much better than you did as it does not come across well at all imo.

Whatever, Tuttle has answered your concerns.

17. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

There's absolutely nothing insulting in saying that something is above your capability. To write in decent English is beyond and above my capability. To be the USA president is above my capability.

Don't be offended so easy, guys.

18. stonec

stonec Registered

Quoting the modder who probably has studied rF2 graphics engine the most and made Nordschleife (Tosch): "Gfx engine has changed a lot (in most cases to the worse ) since I made these shots (May 28. 2013)."

There has been some improvements (automated HDR), but sadly many features taken out as well that were once there (raindrops on windshield, sun glare, self-shadowing of trees). Over the last year, little has changed, problems with multiview+SLI, daytime lighting and overexposed cockpit view have been there since day one. Tracks and cars are improving, graphics engine not.

19. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

tj.......................

I CAN"T UNDERSTAND A THING YOU SAY ~!~

( roll eyes )

hehehe

20. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

The difference is that these guys are supposed to be capable. Nobody expects you to be capable of the things you mention. But if someone questioned your capability to do your job i guess you might be offended?

But like stonec says its worrying to have someone like tosch confirm that things are actually getting worse in this department of the sim instead of better.