Graphics improvements suggestions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hamiltonfan2205, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

Would you mind linking to these statements? I havent seen that and it would be interesting reading.

2. stonec

stonec Registered

The only "change" to development they spoke about in last Q&A was that a new feature is now held and only released when someone makes a decision. Before developers released new features more freely. Speaking of this rain windshield feature, it would have been much easier to finish it earlier. Now all released cars might need changes for it and half of cars' wipers are not working, etc. Also when you release new major features, you inevitably create new bugs as well.

3. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Start by checking out the text that introduces the last couple of builds.

4. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

My theory, and I'll stick to it until I read or see some counter evidence--is that many of the advanced features have been put on hold in favour of other fixes because frame rates would be unacceptable. Some aspects of the graphics are already so poorly optimized (shadows and reflections in particular) that the average user can't run rF2 now looking as nice as it is capable of looking. I always have top or very near top equipment and still can't run maxed-out if you want to have AI in the mix. The difference in frame rates with all else being equal from one ISI track to the next or one ISI car to the next is astonishing. Put a combination of a "heavy" car and track together and your frame rates could be less than half another combination. What's the point of adding realistic rain spray, rain drops, better wet reflections, sun occlusion, shadows that look realistic, and the 10 year-old elephant in the room, getting rid of the excessive jaggies, when we can't even run the thing very well as it is now?

5. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Hopefully lessons get learnt here. It's so easy to get mired into forum complaints that a developer can lose focus on what they originally thought was more important. Especially since the original plan was probably the correct path to follow.

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

With a GTX460 first builds I was running HDR, even in game AA with F3 looked great, I was getting 48 fps off the start.

But... it was so smooth, I was doing 4:15 no tow laps regular back then was 5% of 200+ drivers in my F3-Rookies fixed setup room.
    IE: Physics at full speed is not possible with stutter, latency, etc.

Ambiance looked just like your pics............

Seemed every time a new ISI car was added the F3 tyres changed, and the windshield got more mottled :)

Poor Evie :(

lol

My biggest gripes with entire RF2 would be slightly better mirrors, gaps in F3 rim and tyres, blue holes and pop up mountain at Belgium.

But you won't seen me worrying or asking for them to be fixed ad nauseam either. lool

" Good things come to he who waits "..... ;)

Yes look at weather, rain and mist and fog interacting with windshear and puddles, dripping windscreens. :p ................. how absolutely thought sucking FPS depressing is that ? hehehe ;)

Why didn't they just make rF2 ........DX11 so we could have nice shiny cars, nicer weather effects ............and physics feel like they they came from a cornflakes packet. p

Nice for the people that actually want to run wet races and have the PC grunt to do it well............. kowtowing to a minority is not the way.

edit: lol this will get some friends on my list hahaha

Seriously after 3 years anyone still here complaining about gxf is nothing but a troll.

Why aren't you off driving and enjoying your pCARS or AC or whatever ? and stop whining if graphics is so important to you ?

Go and enjoy sim life ....wt... ? :)

I certainly been told enough on here how the others are superior. ?

I should go to their sites and complain about the physics for 3 years so they do something..........really ? lmao

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2014
  7. tjc

tjc Registered

So...

I`m a troll then D...

?

:confused:

:p

8. peterchen

peterchen Registered

troll troll troll

9. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Excellent! Bullseye. :)

10. hammer666

hammer666 Registered

A little blurry, but Wow!

11. stonec

stonec Registered

Has been posted before, video mainly shows how you can make poor track look good by use of massive post-processing filters. Almost complete lack of colors, everything is greyed out.

12. PorscheMR6

PorscheMR6 Registered

The blurrishness makes it look as if it was recorded with 90s TV cameras, so it's not really realistic but still pretty good.
    The problem is though that in every single game so far PP has given me massive lag. It so bad that i feel sick after 5 minutes of playing.

13. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XE772onWnU
    I am a staunch supporter of ISI and the work they've done. I've supported not just their in-house projects, but also those done for other companies as well.
    My games folder is a testament to that fact. I have spoken with my wallet.
    While my biggest issue to date with RF2 is the multi-player difficulty in joining online races, I'd be less than truthful if I said all was great when it comes to visuals and audio.
    Those two things are certainly NOT deal-breakers.
    Part of my disappointment stems from the fact that 9 years and 3 months after the original Rfactor release, they still appear to be fighting to get car visuals sorted. Rf and RF2 should not even be close, in terms of a graphics comparison and yet... they sometimes are (as proven by some of the mods in the link above).
    ISI, while busy with multiple projects has had one heck of a base to build from with all the modding done to the original sim.
    I respect that RF2 is not their sole project and is much more complexity under it's skin. It also uses a completely modified engine etc... but lots of things should have been learned from the first one.
    At the very least ISI could have sought out the best modding group and employed their skill to handle the initial car offerings, while their internal team handled the physics and other intricacy.
    The guys at Apex or Enduracers were more than capable.
    Still...guys must be respectful in their criticism.
    While disappointment is normal for some, it is never okay...on either side of the argument to insult other's and their views.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  14. tjc

tjc Registered

Good post Saabjock... :)

15. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Graphics aren't comparable between rF1 and 2, not on a moving screen and definitely not on my computer. I have no clue what you guys are talking about there and you guys are the graphics experts. Please.

Yep, and you'd be surprised at how many people don't understand the purpose of that video. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2014
  16. stonec

stonec Registered

Indanapolis and some of the Feels3 tracks have been converted from rF2 to rF1 and they look basically as good as in rF2, for example here. It's mostly about improved track artwork, graphics engine hasn't advanced very much between rF1 and rF2. Especially those static clouds in video linked look so much better than what rF2 dynamic sky seems ever be able to achieve.

17. hammer666

hammer666 Registered

Not seeing a "complete lack of colors" [sic], here, just looks very nice to me. Which is kind of the reason I posted it.
    We're not all the same, and don't all like the same things.

I don't really have a problem with RF2 graphics. A lot of the time I think they look great, would just be really nice if I could, for me, for my tastes, turn down colour saturation easily. :)

18. tjc

tjc Registered

First of all I am by no means an "expert" and never claimed to be.

I will say this though, although I commented on Sabbjock`s saying "good post" I will say that I don`t think rf`s and rf2`s graphics are "comparable" no, that`s wrong. rf2`s graphics need work yes, but they are deffo better than rf`s...

19. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

I'm not sure if DD's post was pointed at me, but as I was complaining about the wet weather effects I'm going to assume that..

Well, I'm not sure about Australia, but on most places on this earth we actually have rain. Therefore it is an essential feature in a racing sim (after all we are racing outside...often). And in order to simulate that we actually need to see the rain... that means we need to be able to see that the track is wet, but looong before that you need to see raindrops on the windshield (because otherwise you don't know it's raining). And rain spray is important too because the lack of sight is also an important factor in wet conditions.

But yeah...I guess rainspray that doesn't look like smoke puffs from colin mcrae rally 1998 and simple rain drops on windshield is too high-tech and "fancy graphics" and too much to ask for :rolleyes: heck, we're simracers we don't need no fancy effects :p No I think ISI could do this quite easily if they just focused on it for a while. I'm not asking for fancy AC graphics, I just want to be able to see when it starts to rain. lol

And UNTIL we get those fancy features, I'd at least like the existing features to work somewhat properly. Atm, when driving, and it starts to rain, it's like:

1. Track suddenly feels less grippy..what is happening?
    2. A few smoke puffs..I mean rain spray are visible... ok it's actually raining! I think? Wow it must have started raining many laps ago. Best to request pit stop and change to wets ;)
    3. Track feels wet
    4. Track looks wet
    5. You can hear it's raining (yes it's almost drowning the engine sound)

:D

20. willz

willz Registered

i agree with the colour, its far too strong, its better with hdr off, which in itself seems to be stupid, feels 3 had the colours right in some of his tracks so it just goes to show it can be done