Graphics improvements suggestions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hamiltonfan2205, Nov 16, 2014.

1. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

In another thread you have people saying 4x MSAA is "ugly"... :confused:

I don't think some people will ever be happy with rF2 graphics.

The other day I did a 10 lap in race in AC and by the end of the race I had a headache from the graphics. LOL I'm not kidding you. It's sooo "shiny!". And I have post-process effects turned off. The thing about AC and pCARS, is the graphics never let you forget your in a game. Yeah they look great in screenshots, but racing it's too "graphicy" :)

I'm very happy with rF2 graphics.

2. Tosch

Tosch Registered

:)

Gfx engine has changed a lot (in most cases to the worse :() since I made these shots (May 28. 2013).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Changes are underlined in red.

3. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

Makes sence. But i personally would have thought that weather and rain in particular would be High priority since its one of the strong Selling points of Rf2. Its the biggest reasons i bought it and since ISI themselves advertised with screens like the ones from 2010 im pretty sure they would have liked to have that finished and working long ago. Which is what leads me to believe that they have sort of given up on that. if not - i Think years Will pass before we see it working nicely.

4. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Here is a good example.
    Look at the sky (color),
    trees (shadows, self shadowing),
    green wall (specular reflection desaturates the green).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Who had more influence on weather not being high priority, the people who complained about the graphics or ISI? Wasn't there an interview with another developer released and they said in their research that sim racers don't want weather? So maybe ISI agrees? IMO the weather should have been made high priority long ago but unfortunately ISI has probably listened to the constant complaints about graphics.

6. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

Yes its a shame that things get worse. Really strange.

7. tjc

tjc Registered

I certainly would agree with you on pCARS budd, definitely (imo) it`s as you say, waaaay too "shiny" and that does, certainly to a degree anyway not let you forget your in a game as opposed to a simulation. I`d say AC is less so but kinda in the same "mould" as it were...

I`d also say that I am, again, to a degree, happy with rf2 graphics in a basic sense but the older content does show it`s age but again, I know this will change.

The points raised by K though are valid ones and those "issues" do need addressed. :)

8. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Yeah good example alright ;)

No cloud HDR sky is about the ugliest thing I have ever seen in a sim, period.

GPL 15year old sky craps all over it ?

lol ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2014
  9. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

Graphics has gotten worse so probably a wrong theory.

10. Minibull

Minibull Member

Mmm, it certainly is a nice selling point, but then "finishing" up the physics side of things could be seen as a bigger selling point. We have great ffb, flexible chassis simulation, and with contact patch improvements, a stick and span tyre and road model.
    Also, trying to improve things like multiplayer and mod management could be seen as more critical than weather, that sort of thing.
    Given up totally, I highly doubt. But given up until a time when they can spend good dev time working on it? Makes more sense. Like all areas of the sim.

11. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

They don't know which way to go maybe.

IMO ISI should just say F it and go with a marketing strategy of "Yeah our graphics suck but we prefer to focus on physics, weather etc.." I'm sure there are plenty of people like me who don't understand these conversations about graphics and lighting and are more into sim racing than photography.

12. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

I Think that would be a smart move actually.

13. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

We can always go the excuse route on team size, but nobody is equivalent to Activision, EA, etc. Kunos was tiny (and some folks still annoyingly would always revert to "small team" excuse for every single point of criticism). Slightly Mad is the oddball as they have a lot of contracted artists, not full-time people.

14. Andreas67

Andreas67 Registered

++++:)

15. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Yup, you nailed it!
    Really strange!
    And I can´t agree with tjc that the old content "shows it´s age".
    IMO Belgium 1966 looks miles better than Sao Paulo or so!
    Heck, even Mills looks more real and immersive than most other tracks.
    Don´t know what it is, but that´s my impression...

16. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

I see more and more graphic bugs for each build :p

Once, I was excited about the wet weather driving but I think I have to give that up now. Some months ago (or was it even a year ago?) ISI worked on the rain spray and a few builds later it looked okay. And now it looks absolutely terrible again. Wet racing is impossible when we can't even see when the rain starts to fall...and still no raindrops on windshield. I guess ISI have their reasons but I seriously can't understand why they don't focus on one thing and finish it. Wet weather looked okay in 2010. 3 years later they work on the rain spray and then abandoned it :confused: Wet track reflections once looked okay too but now I can only see the wheels and some random bodyparts in the reflection. It's like they can't finish one thing without it being broken by next build, so they jump between different stuff and nothing ever gets completely finished... Well, hopefully sometime in the future it will!

I feel like I have NO IDEA what ISI are up to. What are they working on right now? Every build is a surprise. I'd like to know when we will have raindrops and spray that looks okay, and btw where's my f*cking Cobra?? lol :p

Despite all this I can still enjoy the sim....

17. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

I still believe ISI can get it done but I've been a bit disappointed, as such I've shelved RF2 for now.
    I've probably run a total of twenty laps since the last build was released...most of those to test the new Corvette pack.

18. Minibull

Minibull Member

I think someone said the same about the track and car guys and the reply was along the lines of "because they are waiting on other things so they move around with what they are doing". Do 2 weeks of working on this while waiting for that to happen, cool, that has arrived now I'll get back to what I was doing before.
    Just like the stock car situation, you see the NSX, Cobra and Corvette stuff and go "hang on, what happened to the NASCAR stuff we saw aaages ago?" Seems they are waiting on rule sets to be sorted before releasing them. Given the past reactions to releasing things before certain things arrived (Sao Paulo...) I'm not surprised they would do that.

It could be the same for the whole graphics issues we have, and the related systems. Maybe that will then be their focus once the CP changes are implemented, UI done and multiplayer tweaked a bit more. And then, that might be where you get weather, lighting and graphics being tweaked, all in sync with each other. They are all pretty related or intertwined. It wouldn't make sense to fix the current HDR issues right now, to then have to rework it again when you change things in the weather system.
    That's how I'm looking at it anyhow. Call it optimistic or deluded, I don't care XD. I certainly don't think it is "beyond" them to sort the GFX...

19. coops

coops Banned

Its quite obvious its still a work in progress. It would be better off for ISI if we were updated more on this or told how hi of a priority it is. Then we would not see so many threads and posts about the subject.

20. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

When ISI again and again state that they are in the process of making the core as solid and future proof as possible, I don't see how it can come as a surprise for people that things like rain spray and other visuals aren't top priority right now. I feel that ISI have actually been quite open about this.