Graphics improvements suggestions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hamiltonfan2205, Nov 16, 2014.

1. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

I have been talking about the bad graphics. The graphics were good in rf1 only needed more shadows + reflection ... instead came up with HDR. No balance visualization + large load on the processor.
    ISI smarter than everyone else.

2. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Indeed :)

3. tjc

tjc Registered

K... I agree too, the racing is indeed the most important factor but being a graphics kinda guy I do like things to look nice and as realistic as they can/should too.

Imo the graphics are up there in importance in a pretty big way and rf2`s graphics/HDR/shadows etc do need some attention but yeh, we are here to race. :)

4. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Just need the external camera shot of the Nissan parked on track with that glorious reflection on the scene, to follow up this 4 year old one. That shot was beautiful.

5. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

This could have been ISI's version of Nvidia's Fermi release.
    Just a thought!

6. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

Anyone could render a pretty image offcourse...

Funny tho when for instance Ubisoft showed videos and images of the game Watch Dogs pre release of the game, media that looked slightly better than the game that eventually got released and they get pretty much burned at the stakes for false images, false marketing, ... yet us simracers, we get images that could have never, not in a million years, been actually rendered ingame (in the current ISI engine) but we're all like "be and let be".
    They'll get their stuff together when they feel like it.

Funny that this was actually one of the shots that got me very excited about the next rF game. Finally proper weather!

7. hammer666

hammer666 Registered

As much as I agree that "We're here to Race" - we do need something doing on the rain side, as it's not very realistic to be racing in hard rain with a clear windscreen and perfect vision. :-/

8. tjc

tjc Registered

Mmm... I can`t think of/remember that shot...?

:(

9. stonec

stonec Registered

Nah, surely this rain pic is rendered in-game. ISI isn't exactly known for fake hype or creating images/videos with fake effects, besides there is a video showing similar type of rain effects. I'm pretty sure all ISI screenshots on home page are unprocessed.

10. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

I remember that clip aswell, it was a 12s long clip if I remember correctly?
    Trust me, I'd like to believe it but the difference between what we get and what we saw back there as rain... There's not really a comparison and that's in 4years time.

11. stonec

stonec Registered

There were also other graphics features lost along the way. For example sun glare, standing water reflecting light properly, sun occlusion, self-shadowing of trees, etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Fabio Pittol

Fabio Pittol Registered

The specular and reflection attributes of the road shader need to get ajdustments in order to shine with the sun.

I a have a felling that something steped back during the development, cause at Interlagos the atmosphere is the same as it was on rF1, appears to be a cloudy day, even with noon sun and clear skies.

13. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

If correct he means that shot with that white/black GTR taken at Palm Beach by Tosch in DEV-mode, or at least it was showcased here by Tosch.

14. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

For me, the most important role of graphics in racing simulation is to make situation clear to the driver.

I welcome better looks and encourage it, but don't consider this a necessity. What I don't accept is when visualization doesn't translate into something I can understand as a driver.

I'll give you an example - sun occlusion:
    In reality, clouds cast shadows on various parts of landscape. In rF2 when Sun is occluded from my point of view, entire landscape goes dark from horizon to horizon.

In reality I would easily distinguish between these two cases. In rF2 Sun occlusion and overcast produce similar reaction of lighting engine making it impossible to distinguish.

So, also being a "graphics kinda guy" I'm ready to accept graphics quality as is. But being a simracer I cannot accept how some things are visualized in rF2, because they simply mislead me as a driver. And that part - I'm not letting go. I will let ISI do things their way and according to their schedule, but once they turn their attention to wet weather, I will certainly have some demands.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2014
  15. tjc

tjc Registered

If you are correct Rony then I can remember that shot. :)

I did think it was another shot that was being referred to though but could be wrong...

16. tjc

tjc Registered

Once again (as I`ve said before) very well put K...

And, once again, I can only agree. :)

What I would say though is that although better looks and graphics may not be a "necessity" I do think that in 2014, actually almost 2015, we should be able to have realistic/high quality (if not top quality) graphics along with realistic physics (which rf2 certainly is delivering) and also visualization that ranslates well to the driver, giving him/her all the info needed to drive well...

I fully take on board your example of sun occlision and it`s also a very good example as it`s something I`ve noticed myself too. These things do need to be (and I`m sure will be) addressed by ISI.

But being that "graphics kinda guy" I would like to see the graphics in rf2 turned up just a notch or two, another thing btw I`m sure ISI will do, after all the graphics in general continue to increase and develop as we go along this journey.

For me (and I may well be wrong here) we are kind of saying the same thing but maybe I`m using the "wrong" terminology.

When I say I`d like to see the graphics quality turned up a notch or two I mean the graphics in general, not just the nice shiny cars and wonderful reflections etc but also stuff like the sun occlusion, shadows and how they work, the wet weather... in general how the graphics affect not only the looks of the sim but the translation of it to the driver too.

I hope that makes some kind of sense lol... :p

17. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

Its almost 2015 and the screen with the Nice rain effect is from 2010. I wonder where this optimism "im sure isi Will get there" comes from? It seems to me the other Way around. My thought is that they havent been able to make that effect work properly and simply has given up and what we have now is what we get. What do you guys base this optimism on? Just curious.

18. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Yup

19. Minibull

Minibull Member

Because of the way they work, with a very small team.

You could have argued the same for the contact patch, unchanged in how many years? But now, we are starting to see it coming together.

Like I said earlier, maybe they spent their time working on that, and then found it wasnt up to snuff, different conditions, cars, etc. So they put all that work in storage (never deleted, surely...) and move to their next task, as you cant spend yonks working on one system while so many other more critical things need work, not to mention bug squashing.

20. stonec

stonec Registered

It's a couple of devs working full-time, that's it. Plus a couple of artists on tracks and a couple on cars and one guy making car physics. That's it. I don't think graphics has seen much or any change since automated HDR was introduced last winter. I guess focus has been elsewhere.