No DX12 for Windows 7

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Carlo, Nov 14, 2014.

1. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Well I tried everything 2 nights running I can't get rFactor2 feeling as smooth in W8.1.

CPU and GPU usage are all over the place.

Crying shame is I liked everything else virtually , I use the old classic shell with a pinned startmenu and a single folder for sims

I strip everything from W7 more then those videos do, so why wouldn't I do the same on W8. ;)

Got my normal W7 sim OS down from 19GB to 12GB in W8, same tools nothing missing.

Everything was better then W7 , fixed 2 bugs with W8 comp. mode apart from that was nice.

Problem is rF2 and 5 other sims I tested are not better or even the same, they range from " pretty much okay" to " almost clunky"

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2014
  2. Connor Caple

Connor Caple Registered

See - all you have to do is watch an hour of YouTube videos and then piss about re-configuring the system and deleting and disabling things and you can make Windows 8 behave the way it should have at launch after Microsoft ignored EVERYTHING we told them about in beta.

Brilliant. :rolleyes:

/sarcasm off

3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Those videos are all pretty much doing the same thing, lol. They're programs that take 2 minutes to setup, lol.

4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Those videos are all showing the same thing, it's literally a 2 minute job.

So rF2 and your other sims seem better on W7 than Win 8.1? I know you mentioned some inconsistent CPU and GPU load readings; is there anything else you can add? Im very curious. Thanks, Durge.

5. Carlo

Carlo Registered

I am well aware that you can make Win 8 emulate Win 7 to some extent (still no Aero). The point is, one shouldn't have to. One shouldn't have to use 3rd party tools to modify the UX. One shouldn't have to waste time uninstalling privacy invading, crippled, crapware. Apps are just another attack vector for criminals and black hats. And I have no confidence that uninstalling completely removes the attack vector and thoroughly cleans the registry.

I really do hope MS does the right thing with Win 10 and back-tracks on Satya Nadella's "mobile first, cloud first" strategy, software as a service (SAS) mantra, and one size fits all paradigm, but it's unlikely. I'm currently evaluating the Win 10 enterprise version, and though some improvements exist over 8.x, it still doesn't go far enough (yet).

Troll alert:

Just did a search on Google for "Windows 8 sucks" - 31,800,000 hits. In videos - 19,500,000 hits. Need one say more? At least I take comfort knowing that Win 8.x is going to die an early death less than a year from now.

I'm waiting for the other tired argument "you just don't like change". And yes, I am a greybeard and I do know a bit about UI/UX design.

Back on topic:

See the update on the first post.

6. Carlo

Carlo Registered

DD, I'm also interested in your findings.

My first priority is always data integrity, security, and privacy. I rarely optimize for performance, therefore any benchmarks/info you wish to share would be enlightening.

7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ya, and like i said, all those "windows 8 sucks" results are people like you: ones who slam a much technically better OS because of some "button" that takes 2 minutes to fix and some apps and crap that take 10 minutes to fix.

Saying Windows 8 sucks compared to Windows 7 - because of some stupid start menu and metro-app crap which take minutes to fix - is like saying the new Ferrari model sucks because it has a new and annoying way of opening the door, even though the new model has more HP, more grip, more torque, more downforce, and better handling balance than the old model, none of that matters, it still sucks because of the new door system.

8. Carlo

Carlo Registered

9. kotakotakota

kotakotakota Registered

The thing that keeps me from upgrading is that rF2 is literally the only thing I use Windows for. So as long as Windows 7 works with rF2, this is the OS you'll find me on.

10. Carlo

Carlo Registered

Unless Win 10 is a winner (for business/govt/enterprise users), Win 7 will die a slow death. Support is supposed to end in 2020, but MS just announced support of NET until 2030 which seems to indicate that 2020 may be extended. An EOL date hasn't even been set for Win 7 Pro (MS has to give 12 months advanced notice before doing so). In the past 12 months, Win 7 pct share has increased from 47% to 53% even though the retail (consumer) market only sells Win 8.1 machines.

A year out or more, who knows what direction software houses will take because of DX12 and Linux developments in the gaming community. I suspect that larger developers such as Lockheed will eventually release sims that support both DX11 and DX12 much like FSX supports both DX9/DX10 (two separate shader directories). And, hopefully, sims and OpenGL on Linux takes off - I kinda like Linux Mint.

11. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

Or is it like a Ferrari where most of the car was built by mechanics but the door and sundry other parts were done by someones pet monkey ;) .

12. Carlo

Carlo Registered

Back OT again (sorry), but I thought Win 8/Win 10 users who miss Aero and chrome might be interested in this:

http://www.glass8.eu/