[REL] Gingerman Raceway by James Mabe On Sale Now!

Discussion in 'Locations' started by cyruscloud, Nov 5, 2014.

1. cyruscloud

cyruscloud Registered

Hello

Gingerman Raceway is available at the shop at www.unitedracingdesign.net

-The track contains 4 layouts, the new 2.14 mi layout that runs clockwise, the shorter 1.88mi old course also clockwise, and two counter clockwise layouts with the short version being how the track was run for many years.
    -It supports up to 48 cars with shared pit stalls, or 24 with individual stalls.
    -Track makes complete use of RF2's unique features such as Real Road and wet weather.
    -All of this for €3.50 or roughly $4.5

This release marks the first of this new business I am venturing into. I hope you will support me in this, I've priced the track at the lowest point I could afford to. Also understand that by purchasing this you are not only buying this track but also investing in future tracks from me, the better you can support me the more tracks, lower prices and better quality I can produce. You can almost think of this as a kickstarter, however those usually rely on people putting in money on a promise. I did not want to do that, rather I have here something real to enjoy now and to see with your own eyes the potential future your purchases can go toward. I am every bit a track enthusiast I enjoy all types I am familiar with hundreds across the world, which means I am very open minded about future projects and bring a great variety of popular circuits and maybe some hidden gems that you don't.

Why did I choose Gingerman Raceway as a start, well for one the designer of this circuit Alan Wilson was also the one who designed Autobahn Country Club which was the first ever track I built myself many years ago for RFactor and I felt this was coming full circle while also building something new. Another reason is that as simple as it may seem this track is just fun, it has lots of elevation change, a variety of corner types, some really challenging long turns and corner complexes and many overtaking opportunities.

I'd also like to thank Gingerman Raceway itself for allowing me to present this fully licensed. I am a firm believer that Sim Racing fuels real racing as much as Real Racing fuels sim racing. We can support each other, like what I've done with this track I'm glad to hear about it, like the track itself, let the raceway know; better yet if you are in the area maybe stop in yourself and take a drive on the real thing using what you learned in the sim.

Finally thanks to Luc Van Camp for his support while I learned my way around RF2 and Ales Ogrinc for supporting me on getting this business going and making use of his shop.

All support for sales should be address to United Racing Design, all support for the track itself can be addressed here to me.

Once again, thank you and I hope everyone who decides to make a purchase enjoys the track.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2014
    dazzer and bwana like this.
  2. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Very nicely priced. Thanks

3. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

$4.50 isn't badly priced. Paid and will try it out in the coming days.

4. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I purchased already to support you, because we are seeing that the tracks modding in rf2 is almost died! I did few laps. Not bad, but I ask my self, why is so difficult to make the trees looks natural in rf2?
    It isn't only you, but even ISI original tracks the trees look orribile and with a cartoonish aspect and colors. The only one who was able to make a decent trees(actually good trees) was feels!
    I have to say that in some sector the trees are fine, but some trees are simply wrong and with over bright colors.
    I think that you should add more fake skid marks.
    For the rest the track looks really good and feels good with a car such the Clio and the Abarth.
    I like the road textures too.
    Can I ask if you have used the new ISI shaders in this track?
    Over all and as a first track, it isn't bad at all.

5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Give us a full review GTClub_wajdi!

Congrats cyruscloud on your new venture. Awaiting an objective review, I am sure I will purchase. Price is good and using URD gives credibility and also hopefully access to their e-mail-based update system.

6. sg333

sg333 Registered

Purchased and downloaded, shame i've no time to try it out yet. Screens look promising. Glad to support another modder and URD also! :)

7. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Congratulations on having launched this project man! Exciting times indeed.

I'm going to buy and download, and hopefully make a very thorough test of it tomorrow. Detailed feedback will follow immediately after. :)

Edit: Bought and downloaded. :cool: I really don't want to go to sleep now...

8. cyruscloud

cyruscloud Registered

About the trees, I know what you mean and trust me I worked around with this for a while, basically about 4 hours out of the 24, 2 in the monring and 2 in the evening that have extreme light angles you will get this tree brightness. This is really due to them being flat trees and rotating, why is it so much stronger than feels3 tracks. Well I have a few ideas, one is his tree textures are generally darker period even at noon they are dark trees this limits how much brighter they will get at full sun angle, also he runs a multiply map on his tree shader the darkens parts of the tree more. Really its something I am going to have to experiment with a lot more. Since this was a commercial release I couldn't borrow any tree textures so I was very limited on what trees I could get and time spent working over all the maps. Its my intention to release an updated version of this track down the road with more details and more polish as I better learn how to handle RF2, working out the best compromise on trees would be one of those things to work on. I think they look quite good in the central parts of the day, but as you said quite strong at those periods of low sun. This happens in real life actually but with flat trees and not fully rendered normal maps the depth is lost and it becomes too strong and even compared to reality.

9. sporkface

sporkface Registered

My 2 cents:

This is the first payware track I've ever seen for rFactor, so at first I was a little skeptical. Then I noticed it was hosted by URD, and I'm happy with their EGT cars so I figured, why not. $4.50 isn't going to break the bank.

D/L-Install: Seamless, as always.

Graphics: Pretty plain. It's basically just a road in a field with a couple buildings by it. I know this is a real place but, damn. The track textures are great, real road looks convincing. I did a rain race and everything worked like it should. 8/10

AI: Absolutely crazy. If there is any overlap between you and them entering a corner they will drive straight into in an attempt to "block". Aside from that, pretty good. I haven't noticed any slow spots or wonky behavior. And in a multiclass race of EGT/350z/Clio they kept pretty clean. 9/10

Drivability: My PC is getting pretty old with 4 gigs ram and a GeForce 260. Still I could easily run 29 AI in the rain at night with no noticeable hits in framerate running the same settings that cripple me at Spa, Nurb, etc. with a lot less AI. Don't know how people get 48, but I think my PC could handle it. :cool: 10/10

Overall so far: 8/10 Would buy again.

10. cyruscloud

cyruscloud Registered

Much appreciated sporkface for the review, keeping fps good was a focus of mine on this first track, so I am glad to hear performance has been good.

11. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

If I recall, feels3 said people could borrow assets from his tracks if they needed them. He still visits here occasionally, so you could PM him to confirm. You will impress many more customers if you keep updating these early tracks (there, I already have you releasing a whole series ;) ) as you learn and acquire more.

12. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Can I ask you again if you have used the new ISI shaders in this track?

13. cyruscloud

cyruscloud Registered

I don't mind answering but need to be a bit more specific on what shaders you mean. I'm not really using any shaders that weren't already available as of spring this year if that is what you mean.

14. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I think ISI updated their shaders with build 860 (and fixed a bug with 880). See changelogs.

15. Adrian

Adrian Registered

Nice track! Happy with the Track/price ratio :) Only comment is the AI sometimes do some funky things around T1 when you try to make a pass there otherwise awesome.

16. cyruscloud

cyruscloud Registered

He's talking about the new terrain shader then, I had to double check since I was told about it but forgot it it had gone public yet or not. No this track isn't using it, I had the terrain all setup before the shader was made available, currently it is just using a vertex alpha blend between 4 different materials all blending to the base texture, so basically tex1 to tex2, or tex1 to tex3 but not tex2 to tex3 as the new shader would probably allow. I will be looking into it for future tracks though. On the other side though I actually used vertex colors on the terrain to add more variation which I wouldn't be able to do with the other shader.

17. cyruscloud

cyruscloud Registered

My first time creating ai with a block path, maybe I went a little aggressive with the line itself but they may vary a bit pending on your aggression setting. On the plus side if you have ever watched club circuit racing the ai probably matches up pretty well with the aggression and mistakes amateur drivers tend to make.

18. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I haven't done race sessions yet, only test driving in a couple of cars.
    You have done a solid job with this track man, you really have.
    It looks gorgeous, crisp and nice visuals.
    AI seems to know its way around too, I'll be able to tell better once I've done some actual racing of course.

Only gripe is that my sad little G27 wheel really sells me short on this track.
    The track surface seems to make it go bananas for some reason.
    The wheel's internal gears grind and grind and grind when going straight, when cornering, when braking.. all the time sounding like a buzz saw.

With my current ffb settings I actually can't drive the Skip Barber here. :(
    The Nissan 370z is kinda the same, but not quite as bad. The Megane is kinda okay, but not good.

I have tested with the same settings on other tracks of course to make sure my wheel isn't broken or something.
    It just seems that your track, my wheel and my ffb settings don't mix.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way man.
    That's also why I started out by ridiculing my own wheel.
    Because the G27 really is a sad wheel. ;)

I bet those lucky bastards with belt driven wheels can just race on without any nuisance. ;)

All in all, amazing work man.
    I am happy to have been able to support this project.

19. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Flag warnings don't seem to work and quite disappointed to see no animated flag workers etc, unless I have something set wrong.

20. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

The track surface is superb on a Fanatec :)