Baffled by press

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Promag, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Thanks a lot for your answer I can repackage cars, but I have no tools needed to edit GMT (am I right, you need a tool for doing that ?).

2. matf1

matf1 Registered

I used to date a dark haired girl, but she left me poor with her constant wants.
    I then dated a blonde and although she is a stunner, I couldn't get any meaningful engagement with her.
    Now I date a fiery red head. She's cranky as all hell but goes off in the bedroom!

3. Lgel

Lgel Registered

I won't answer all your points, some are in a post I answered to Rich Goodwin. I am not disapointed by AC because I never tried it, and I won't until it remains the sole options. I bought RF2 because I had invested many hours in investigating RF1 innards, and I thought I could benefit from this knowledge in RF2 (which is partially true).

It seems that AC and ISI have given different priorities to their developments, AC has priorized looks and ISI physics. Both products will evolve, ISI looks will improve (so I hope), AC physics can improve if they feel their clients ask it.

But third party support (modding) will be crucial (free or payware) for their success.

For me the real acid test will be the release of the Enduracer Mod (did you run it in RF1?), if they do what they have said they will do and if in paralell ISI brings a new enhanced UI, RF2 can win.

Cheers.

4. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

3dsimed would be the easiest one for this.

5. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

This thread has a life of it's own and don't you talk about my moo cows :( !!!

lol ;)

I would have liked someone to comment on this............

How can someone sit here and say it's us league guys that carry your butts is what I would like to know.

Where are they ??? loool How about sparing a bit of your precious time to train rookies, strengthen open rooms and help build numbers.

lool ............ something or rather.

Please explain in Historic how spotters, teamspeak, motec and OSDs is real life racing because I am baffled . ? :confused: lol ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2014
  6. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Thanks for your help.

7. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

To answer your question first, no in fact I haven't tried EnduRacers in rF1 yet (I know, blasphemy, right?;))
    I will try out some more of the old legendary mods in that sim, as soon as I get my freakin' G27 pedals working again. ;)

I understand the points you're making. I'm in no way out to diss you mate, so I hope you don't feel that way.

I really hope AC will improve somewhere down the line, physics/ffb-wise.
    But it doesn't seem there are many AC-users complaining about this on their forums.
    I've on the other hand seen plenty of threads regarding graphics, screenshots, and how to mod the championship files to remove the worst AI opponents... ;)
    Very few really "technical" threads. Seems people are content. Or just not that interested.
    Why, I have no clue. Don't know if most AC-users just aren't as demanding?

The changes made to AC so far (bought early access as soon as it became available) have not done the job imo, quite the opposite.
    I really tried getting into the online racing. Ridiculous, worse than Codemasters' F1 servers. Driving standards are atrocious.
    Then I tried to get into the offline career mode. Made it halfway through, but it's so superficial I almost fall asleep each time I boot it up.

I actually feel a bit sorry for AC...
    It's kinda caught in the middle I feel, where its "feel" and actual racing is nowhere near as good as rF2's, and its visuals are nowhere near as impressive as pCARS'.
    As far as I'm concerned I think I'm mainly going to run rF2 when I want as real racing as possible, and pCARS when I want something pretty to look at and some more "light hearted" racing.

I haven't quite figured out where AC fits in, when it imho is a bland compromise between "look" and "feel".
    The way it's being hailed by the press and most users simply amazes me. I just don't get it.
    But again the line between many sims and racing games is getting more and more blurred. Companies passionate about racing sims want to make more money by appealing to gamers as well.
    Is this a good or a bad thing? I'm not entirely sure.

I am in no way supporting any kind of "sim racing war". It's not my intent to add fuel to any such war... my sim (read: schlong) is better (read: longer) than yours type of nonsense. It's not about that.
    I simply want to be able to enjoy as many different sims as possible.

I do have certain standards however, and my spare time is very limited these days. I don't have time for products that doesn't meet my requirements.
    I left console racing because I felt I was wasting my time with it. It wasn't challenging, it wasn't fun or rewarding anymore.
    When I see elements of console racing games seeping into supposed racing sims it makes me a bit nervous for what the future holds for our genre.

I don't want our hobby getting watered down to please the masses.
    It is a niche genre. Why are we even talking about how to push pure racing sims to the masses with fancy UI's and glossy graphics?
    Next comes the ever so slight dumbing down of the physics, to make it a bit more accessible.
    The masses will never embrace sim racing in its purest form anyway, so it is highly paradoxical.

Sim racing is not gaming imo, it's so much more.
    It's a hobby, a passion, a way of life, a tool for real life racers to better themselves, a way for mere mortals to experience a fraction of what real racers get to experience, etc.
    It takes enormous amounts of time, patience and willingness to even start to break the ice, and enjoy it for what it is...
    Like all the greatest and most endurable things in life (playing music is another example).

8. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Hex, this is just to contrast, not disagree with some of your points.

About three years ago I had never touched sim racing, or what I now consider sim racing.

My first experience was with iRacing. After years of gran turismo and for a it was a daunting and captivating level of realism to me.

I jumped on rFactor2 as soon as I became aware of it.

At that stage I was very unimpressed. Where do I gets these "mods"? How do I set this up? Why can't my PC handle this?

For nearly two years I dropped in and out of rfactor2 almost willing myself to enjoy the experience. Luckily, now I do.

I am 100% convinced that the perceived success of assetto corsa is due, in part, to Steam. Casuals who have dabbled with other racing games thinking " why not" and purchasing.

For continued growth of rfactor2 I don't see it as a bad thing for ISI and us as users to look at other sims and why they may be doing "better" and try to bring some of those things here.

Learning and adapting to a very dynamic current and potential user base is crucial, I feel.

Being open, honest and objective about rfactor2's shortcomings while providing real suggestions to possible solutions, without resorting to fanboyism is very important I think.

Edit: what I failed to explain very well was rfactor2 needs to be more user friendly, on a basic level. Making it more obvious how to do things and where to go. These other sims do that pretty well, dare I say better than is done here currently. To capture users, it needs to be as easy as possible to use and install things.

9. I3bullets

I3bullets Registered

Ask the coelacanth and it might answer: "Yeah, sure, you CAN survive in a niche and you CAN do so for a very long time. But it's bloody hard, I'm tellin' ya! And you gotta live in constant threat of extinction. To be honest, I'd rather be a goldfish."

Edit: I agree with your post in general, though :)

Edit 2:
    This!

10. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

It supports multi CPUs, I assume you meant to say multi GPU support?

11. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Hello Hexagramme,

What Enduracers mod has outstanding is that is covers endurance racing cars from 2006 to 2010, you have different classes GT1, GT2, GTC, P2, P1 and sorry if I forget one class, have a look at their site.

There is a great number of autentic liveries, racing is very interesting because as you know in real life, at le Mans a top class car has to lap an average of ten slower cars by lap (which is very dangerous and requires a lot of care).

In E.S. if you run in GT2 you are racing against your class, but by lap 7 of 10 you begin on a medium track to be overtaken by the fastest cars. The GT1 are very fast in straights and compete with P2 which brake shorter and are faster in curves. On twisty tracks a P2 can win against a P1, etc.

I was the mod I spent more time running.

What happens to your G27 pedals? Once mines were leaving residual gas when I was off the gas pedal. I googled how to and cleaned them and no more problems again.

Cheers.

12. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Really though, what does this have to do with the UI? Obviously you need to add icons to the package for the UI to display them. Finding the correct DDS settings on the forums isn't easy. Once you have the correct settings its very quick and easy to build a new component with the icons. Again, what does this have to do with the UI. You complaint is aimed at the packaging system, not the UI.

There are also tools to make packaging easier:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/19023-Component-Builder

13. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Exactly! Pack the dds file in a MAS and then its a single file to drop in the correct skin folder. Everyone should pack in MAS files anyways as it reduces the skin size dramatically which speeds up the skin xfer process on servers.

14. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I agree with you here. I did like the old tree list with the spinner on the right. The spinner is still there, it's just under the tuning button so maybe a custom UI could bring back this old rF1 look. Then again, the load time as you go through the list of cars would be a little aggravating. But even if the old treeview/spinner look came back, you still have to rebuild a package if you want your own VEH files in there. But what is the big problem with having to build a new package? It really isn't that difficult.

15. I3bullets

I3bullets Registered

16. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

I would love to have game like this, locked fov, ffb, realistic clutch etc. but the problem is that I don`t think there are not so many others who would like to have it like this.

At the moment F2R is hosting 5 ISI and 2 third party mods to public racing, we are also helping with car and game settings and I feel teamspeak is good tool to this.

17. Eduard Mallorquí

Eduard Mallorquí Banned

rFactor2 it's just too mainstream, they should do IQ tests about simracing to let you drive it, and only the chosen ones should be able to use multiplayer.

18. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

19. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

yesss!!!

20. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Hello Noel,

First of I highly appreciate your posts and your tools ( even if I don't still use them).

May I ask if you ever added cars or skins to RF1?

I inserted about a hundred in mods in RF1, I never had to create a SMICON and an ICON nor any preview.jpg, the UI made them for you automatically.

That is why I was thinking maybe erroneously that it was a function done by the UI.

I have learned many things in this forum and I hope it will continue.

Cheers.