Baffled by press

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Promag, Oct 27, 2014.

1. stonec

stonec Registered

Yep, first impression is important with sales. UI gives first impression. Ok this example is a bit far fetched, but just look at how iPhone crushed Nokia few years ago. Nokia had all features (even more) than iPhone, but it was all hidden behind ugly and slow UI.

2. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

Thats a great example.

3. ErnieDaOage

ErnieDaOage Registered

Judging a book by its cover! I don't care a lot for the UI, as long as its not a shell iam happy :)
    And honestly there are way too much people already online in rf2 who doesn't have the slightest clue of racing, i really don't need those first couple of laps crash and disconnect mentality. People with the attention span of a mayfly should stay away from simulations. So as long as ISI don't run bankrupt iam not in the need of those sales. And people with a passion for their hobby will allways try to maximize their expierience. So it doesn't matter at which game or sim you start because a true simracer will not gonna be happy with gran turismo, forza or need for speed so those guys will come to rf2 anyway.

4. TypicalAnalytical

TypicalAnalytical Banned

That's cute but does not consider the impact of the opportunity cost of distraction from development of real simulation funnctionality which will bring in more real sim racers which I believe will dwarf the number of converted snot noses.

5. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Every thing is fine on the RF2 front, please repeat with me again.

Read the number of posts on an another forum who attends to different sims, consider for how long AC and RF2 are available, if you dislike the numbers (184 vs 1376) write posts explaining that AC is an inferior product marketed for idiots for such and such reason.

http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/

Assetto Corsa 1,376
    F1 2014 275
    F1 2013 705
    F1 2012 501
    Formula Truck 22
    Game Stock Car 192
    GRID Autosport 101
    GRID 2 68
    MotoGP 14 62
    MotoGP 13 70
    MXGP 15
    Project CARS 13
    RACE 07 81
    rFactor 2 184
    Bob's Track Builder 2

And express once again your surprise at what the reviews say about RF2 (they have no clue, they can't distinguish between a true sim and an arcade game, etc.).

We are the hardcore drivers, we are the best.

End for today I was ill at home and bored, so I took time to write many posts.

Cheers.

6. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

I'm sorry, but I hate this attitude. It's more harmful than any "bad" UI could ever be.

I feel we as a community and ISI as a company should be as welcoming as possible and show these people why we are all so serious about sim racing.....in the hope of getting them just as serious and hooked as we are.

I don't think being holier than thou is the best approach to this....

7. Promag

Promag Registered

Yup

8. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Fun 2 race, he?
    "Fun" sounds different to me...

9. Maug

Maug Registered

I think everything is said.

And yes we are the bestests.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2014
  10. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

2nd agree to this. I'd love to see these fanboys/flamers try to prove their assumptions of a game developer thinking in such ludicrous manner. All these people do is make it easier to go to ignore list and keep the littering hidden.

11. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

1029 out of 1376 is skins in AC. Only 15 cars and 88 tracks. In rf2 there's 35 cars and 75 tracks. So situation is not that bad but of course also the amount of skins tells something...

12. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

I'm not disagreeing with your point but your proof is misleading at best. This forum is the most active forum for rF2, just like iracings forum is the most active for iracing, wmd portal is the most active for pCars. Generally official forums are the most active for that particular software. According to your logic, rF2 has more sales than pCars and a couple of Codemasters games. :p

13. myself9

myself9 Registered

Oh pleeeeease. Over 1000 of those AC contributions are skins/helmets. Most of which I wouldn't wipe my @@@ with.

Let's not skew data to conform to our existing beliefs, shall we?

Edit: NINJA'D BY TIG GREEN! ;)

14. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

15. stonec

stonec Registered

Then why does rF2 not have all these skin/helmet packs available for download? Right, I forgot the whole process of getting a custom skin and helmet to rF2 is so complicated it is probably not worth making something which none will install. It is also interesting that a game based on rF1 engine (GSC) and mainly targeted for Brazilian market has more downloads on RD than rF2.

16. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

UI is not only cosmetic look but when HDR can not bee used with nVidia SLI my UI looks pink and I just love to have that bright pink color on my left and right monitor it looks awesome and I am sure you love looks of my UI too.:)

View attachment 14844

View attachment 14843

I am sure when somebody new is looking for the new sim, AC, pCars, iRacing vs rFactor2 you go for rFactor2:D

Please don`t ask me to calibrate my monitors there is nothing wrong with them.

17. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

So, are you saying you genuinely find it easier to create and install skins on AC than on rF2?

Last I tried to do one for AC it took ages (with a JSON file too iirc) and with rF2 it takes mere minutes.

I'm not even being a fanboy, I like all sims.....but last time I did it the AC method was vastly more complicated.

18. stonec

stonec Registered

Not sure about creating, but installing skin, the process is like this:

rF2 (copied from ISI tutorial):

Your DDS file needs to be put into the correct location for it to work correctly. Start off with the location you specified for data to be installed when you installed rFactor2, by default this is in the Documents folder.

Within the Documents or Data folder, the structure for placing a car skin is like this: \Documents\rFactor2\UserData\player\Settings\ISI_SkipBarber_2012\SKIPBARBER_05\Altskin1.dds
    ‘ISI_SkipBarber_2012′ is the name of the component, ‘SKIPBARBER_05′ is the Veh file name (minus the .veh), and Altskin1.dds is the name of your saved file.

For other cars, simply alter that location for each different car component and Veh file name, and if the location does not exist, you should create the appropriate folders yourself.

Note: Your saved DDS file name must be less than 10 characters wide, not including extension, and ‘alt’ must be within the filename.

AC:

Putting the skins in the game:

First you need to find your Steam installation folder and from there navigate to Assetto Corsa cars folder. The path should look like this Steam/SteamApps/common/assettocorsa/content/cars.

Now select car folder your downloaded skin is for and copy your skin folder to skins folder.

Voilà

19. Domi

Domi Registered

Couldn't be explained better.

20. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

If I packaged you a skin just to install, it is equally as easy to install on rF2. Take the skins files, drop them in to the correct car folder (same method, just one folder deeper) job done.