Baffled by press

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Promag, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

The new U.I. that ISI is working on is requiring a crap-load of work and programming into the core game itself. The core U.I. of rF2 is being changed, this is completely different to a mod of the current U.I. which is essentially just "change colour of this screen's writing from blue to green", "display the word 'Car Setup' at font size 10 instead of 14", "make display/replay screen be twice as big when returning to pits", "make car setup screen a black background instead of orange", etc. etc.

The Minimalist U.I. and the Kart U.I. (and any other U.I.s that may be out there) are like car-skins, while the coming U.I. update is an update to the entire core of the engine and the deep functionality and features of the whole U.I.-to-game "connection".

2. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

sadly rf2 has been judged by many from how the UI looks like :(

3. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

No we are actually a very little handful of people who feel like that. :D

4. smithaz

smithaz Registered

Where have you heard this? I cant wait!

5. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I have a feeling that the complainers won't have much to complain about when the new UI is released... :)

6. Comante

Comante Registered

Don't underestimate the power of those you call complainers.

7. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

While I personally don't have an issue with it, it seems to be a problem for a lot of people.

So it's right their voices are heard if it creates a more polished, saleable product in the eyes of the masses. After all, the more people buying rFactor2, the better, for all of us :)

8. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I just think that people need to realize that the UI probably isn't being updated because of complaints. It's more likely that it was just part of ISI's plan from the beginning. It's also important not to overestimate the power of the complainers. Nevertheless...

I don't have a problem with the current one, but I also won't mind when it's updated. It'll at least be nice to not hear that old complaint anymore. :D

9. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Viva the complainers:p

10. TypicalAnalytical

TypicalAnalytical Banned

UI improvements. What an unnecessary distraction.

11. stonec

stonec Registered

I agree it is unnecessary to focus too much on UI. That's why I suggested, just re-make backgrounds, buttons and fonts in HD and minimalist style, instead of putting year(s) of effort into re-coding everything. ISI has a lot of talented 3D artists building complex cars and tracks, some 2D UI artwork is matter of few days at most. Having an easy-to-use stylish UI is quite important in giving first impression of product, it's something Steve Jobs for example dedicated most of his effort on and it paid off.

Of course there are things you can't achieve with simple UI art changes, such as movable "apps" as in Assetto Corsa, but this all ranks to "nice to have" features rather.

12. Lgel

Lgel Registered

First of all I am a rabbid complainer, to confirm that I am one of the usual suspects, here was my post in the thread relative to build 880.

Congratulations to the ISI team.

I don't know if it is this build or the previous one (I skipped from 770 to 860) that improved so much graphics (shaders). I dusted of the Marussias which were looking awful in replays and what an improvement (noticeable in cockpit to).

Thanks for the fast loading of plugins.

The sim is in another league now.

May be you should ask yourself why newspapers revise and try to improve their UI (hint to keep their readers maybe).

We here bought the sim, liked it, gave a vote of trust to ISI, thinking it would improve the sim, and we can cope with the UI and with every other problem we face (most of us are computer nerds, and old timers in the sim world), but we are not the problem.

The problem are all the potencial buyers who try the demo, have a look to the UI, think it is an older game than RF1 released in 2005 by the same software house, ask themselves if the game is a clearance of unsold games, are deeply impressed by the vintage looks of the cars, spin a few times on cold tires on a green track, uninstall quickly the demo and join the ranks of RF2 critics (they have no time to appreciate the dynamic weather, the superb FFB, the mysterious Realroad, the very good AI, the excellent third party mods, etc.).

Have a nice run with the improved Lota T280.

Cheers.

13. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Nah, not so much imo.

Viva the appreciative people who take the time to serve up some constructive criticism, while remaining grateful and somewhat humble.

And viva the people who aren't condescending know-it-alls. :)

(NOT saying you are any of those things, btw :))

14. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

I don`t agree with you at all, UI and the core should been done when rFctor2 was released first time.

15. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Game with no multi CPU support and no proper UI don`t belong to modern simracing.

I wonder how many with single screen did complain if rFactor2 was locked to resolution 800x600?

16. Domi

Domi Registered

Exactly, first impression for a lot of people is the key. If it doesn't look/feel for no reason they will quickly move away. It also happens with mods, if the default setup makes the car feel bad, or FFB is too strong etc, most of them will think it's crap and will uninstall or or stop playing and try another thing.

And whereas I personally can live with a crap UI, as I've been doing since rF1 era, I want to see as many players as possible in rF2. So improving first impression of the game should be something needed and welcome for current users as well imo.

17. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Bit of an overstatement, I'd say.

18. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

How many of the best simracers in the world is racing rFactor2, guys like Greger Huttu, Hogo Luis, Dom Duham etc., no, do you wonder why not?

19. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

I'm burning my HDD right now. I just can't drive out on track. That ui takes all the enjoyment out of simulated racing, I can't set up my car, I can't choose a race, I can't adjust nothing ;-) Ui is the furthest thing from my mind when on track. Next people will be demanding they can play their favorite MP3 in car, or live chat on steam or heaven forbid, complete missions or do time attacks. Sigh :-/

20. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

They are the best sim racers on other platforms. Rf2 has plenty of aliens.