NVIDIA 344.48 WHQL GPU Drivers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Since I can never find that NVIDIA/AMD GPU driver update thread, I decided to post this.

Source --> http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/geforce-344-48-whql-driver-released

2. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

I've just tried DSR with my GTX580 and I must say I'm quite impressed with the results. Did a quick test with 2.0x (2715x1527 :confused: )and I have no jaggies, no aliasing and better looking mirrors..... the surprise was how few frames I lost :)

View attachment 14606

3. Maug

Maug Registered

Anyone has an alternative legit download link for these drivers? I always get crappy download rates on the nvidia website.

Edit: Nvm as soon as i posted this message the 31 minutes of download for the 40mb left were downloaded in less than a minute...

4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

WOW. Are you using Sweet FX as well? What AA setting are you using? Don't tell me you're not using any AA at all?

5. kaptainkremmen

No SweetFX. 4x AA forced in nvcp.

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Just plain old 4xMSAA?...

7. kaptainkremmen

Yup

EDIT: Just tried 3X (3324x1870 :confused: ) with no AA. Not bad but a when in motion there's a bit of shimmering.

View attachment 14609

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2014
  8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

So all we do is use 4xMSAA and enable this new DSR for unbelievably impressive results? Is nvcp needed anymore? What DSR setting?

9. kaptainkremmen

I was using 4XMSAA already. I installed the new driver, set DSR Factors to allow 2.00x (Native Resolution), lowered the DSR smoothness to 10,went into Configure Sim and changed Resolution to 2715x1527, jumped into rF2 with my normal settings and parked to take a screenshot.

I tried 3.00x DSR with no AA at all. Smoothness 10 and could see aliasing especially when moving (second screenshot). I then changed smoothness to default 33 and it was much better.

I run medium/low ish settings to keep the FPS up.
    It slows my desktop down a bit possibly because you have to set DSR globally as there is no option in my rFactor profile .
    I don't use GeForce experience, NvInspector, sweetFX etc .

That's about all I know :)

10. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Thanks!

So are you recommending 4xMSAA with DSR 2 and 10 or No AA and DSR 3 and 33? Which is better in your opinion?

11. drdrum

drdrum Registered

How do you work this dsr thing. i scanned my comp for games and it came up 0.

12. Robcart944

Robcart944 Registered

I hope I'm not off subject but every time I've installed these two latest drivers, my monitors don't work the same as before. I have a triple monitor setup with GTX 670 SLI with 2-DVI and 1-HDMI connection. One of the DVIs is connected to the second card. When I run the new drivers, it will only run 2 of the monitors and not the third but the desktop will still be showing three monitors wide. I think it may either have a different connection format or one of the DVI's has now got to be a HDMI connection.

Has anyone else had this happen? I have looked all over the internet and found nothing.

13. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

+1

I'd like to experiment with it, but wothout taking ten hours. I tried 4xMSAA with DSR at 2 and 10 and then 2 and 33--significant drop in visual quality (more AA and shimmering), but big gain in FPS compared to 8xSGSS previous setting. I'd like to know that the settings are supposed to do if someone can explain them briefly! If this can replace SGSS with better performance it will be huge good news for rF2 fans!!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance.

14. kaptainkremmen

I don't really have any recommendations or answers I'm afraid. I tried it out of curiosity to see if system would benefit. My 580 won't allow me to run much AA before it grinds to a halt so an alternative was quite appealing.

Your image quality was obviously much higher than mine to start with.

The DSR setting allows higher resolutions to be selected in the game and then it downscales it to your monitor resolution.

This page does some Smoothness comparisons.

15. Eddy

Eddy Registered

I don't get your DSR settings Marc. in control panel i can choose from 1.20 (from native setting iirc:confused:) up to 4.0
    I thought 4.0 = gpu renders at 4k quality and then filters it back to screen max, in my case 1980*1020
    In control panel i see also DSR smoothing but that is set automatically.

It cost me 5 fps max but it all looks soooooo much better imho

Again Marc that is what i think the setting does but no expert here :eek:

Ohw i don't use MSAA or SGSS i only have ingame AA setting to 4

Edit: only tested on-line at longford with BT20 and then it cost me 5fps with all settings at max except for reflections those are set to low

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2014
  16. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I just read that article!!!

Sadly, the conclusion is that this approach is very taxing, so we won't see any noticeable performance gains. Image quality may be a bit better, though....hopefully at approximately the same FPS. I'll see...

17. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Of course it will look a lot better because you are applying the equivalent of super sampling! Some of us have already been doing that for years. This setting is easier to use (the old settings are very confusing and many were not available in the standard control panel). But I suspect to get roughly the same quality, it will roughly the same performance hit.

Are you saying any setting from 1.20 to 4.00 causes the same 5 fps hit? That shouldn't be possible.

18. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I tried 2x DSR and didn't like the slight bluriness of the image. AA looked near identical to 2xSGSSAA but FPS loss was less with SGSSAA (-25% 2x DSR vs -18% 2x SGSSAA compared to 4xAA settings in live benchmark).

Something odd i found with DSR as well, go into the main menu and move the mouse cursor quickly on and off any of the bottom button and you'll notice warping of the image (observed when i tested with default 33% smoothness).

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2014
  19. TOCA2FREAK

TOCA2FREAK Registered

Does this work with nvidia surround for triple screens as I can't see option to set DSR functions. :/

20. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Not sure but i could understand if not. I've read that if you have a 4k monitor resolution for example, DSR function is disabled. Since you have triple screens, it's possible nvidia has locked DSR accessibility due to your already very high net pixel count.