Ferrari with rFPro

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paddler, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

I think you're confusing the simulator with the wind tunnel. AFAIK the Ferrari simulator was one of the most complex and expensive in the F1 area. I think they're switching mostly because a better tire patch/terrain physics combo. I remember Montenzemolo complaining because of the bloody expensive (6 Millions $) investment for their simulator, instead re-introducing real tests...canceled for budget savings. :)

[​IMG]

2. thuGG

thuGG Registered

Maybe if you bothered to read the thread you would know that Kunos didn't provide software to Ferrari's simulator.

3. Domi

Domi Registered

That comment is quite pointless sorry, in fact you are contradicting yourself. McLaren even with their awesome simulator, and a much better engine, is clearly behind Ferrari this season (and last seasons). So yes, simulators are very interesting tools for the drivers, but they are still far away from other areas. Having the best simulator is pointless if the data that you get from the wind tunnel doesn't correlate with the real telemetry, for instance. If anything, the simulator choice was the most irrelevant problem of Ferrari.

Speaking about rFPro, I'm still amazed that very few people have really bothered to read what they do on their website. There is so much misleading information on forums...

4. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Looks like the War of the Worlds!

5. Tuttle

It is! :D

6. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Here lies the confusion for me, when AC first arrived on the scene I was involved in many debates/arguments with AC fans on a few forums, Usual rF2 is better/AC is better stupidity. But what I do remember is many AC fans ramming down my throat how Ferrari used Kunos for its sim/F1 team whatever. So all along it wasn't true anyway and all Kunos was used for was some Tourist attracton ;)

7. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Dallara uses AC! Not just the visuals either.

8. Descoat

Descoat Registered

I´m not saying that ferrari is a chaos because of it´s simulator, perhaps I didn´t explain it better. Ferrari is a chaos even with it´s simulator. Hope you will understand now. But the decission of changing it are like all the decissions they are taking in years: chaos

Mclaren didn´t made a good job because many factors affected them, and none of them were from it´s simulator:

1.- Paddy Lowe went to Mercedes, as many others in the past.
    2.- Mercedes didn´t gave them complete information about their engine ( logical )
    3.- it´s stupid to develop a car for a Mercedes engine if they are not going to work with it in the future. This year was only to test the really car for next years.

I think James Allison begins to feel that return ferrari was not his best choice. Aldo costa is laughing in Mercedes´s motorhome.

9. Tuttle

That's the same simulator I posted before. They (Ferrari+Dallara) invested in this monster few years ago.

10. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Incredible ... I so want a go in it ... mmm, maaaayyybeeeee.....

11. Uff

Uff Registered

From SimHQ. ;)

There are automotive companies which already use the base of Assetto Corsa. It is in action in the motion simulator of the Ferrari Museum in Maranello. And it is used in the company’s industrial (non-F1) simulator. Dallara also have the product in their full motion million dollar plus rig. As technology develops for home use too, the strength of the key components of any racing simulator can continue.

If using AC/rF2 or whatever other sim for professional use might help developers with consumer version too... well, I can only be happy as we will end up with better sims too. :D

Edit: I think SimHQ is referring to this.

12. C3PO

C3PO Registered

BTW, I'm suprised this hasn't been made more of ... last week McLaren put out a promo video of a day in the life of Jenson. Very nice little film. One thing which hit me though was they actually went into the McLaren simulator room, which AFAIK has never been seen except for the outside of the door. You don't see a whole lot but enough to glean a little bit of information about it.

I was surprised to see it, so naturally grabbed a screenshot on my phone playing the vid:

View attachment 14568

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152676985606413&set=vb.12254981412&type=2&theater

13. Robcart944

Robcart944 Registered

??????

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2014
  14. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I am not talking about the physical design of the simulator :) , I am talking about the software itself. Pistons and all that crazy complex stuff doesn't mean anything if they are running Need for Speed :) . It's been widely known for many seasons now that Ferrari was very weak in the simulator area. I am not surprised they were looking for a major software upgrade.

15. Miro

Miro Registered

A license (deal of paper :p ) doesn't mean there is only something written on paper and that's it. The license is for something, it is for the software and the software in this case is some sort of a big deal.

16. C3PO

C3PO Registered

The weakness, as I understood it, was in the hardware.

17. Tuttle

All I know is De La Rosa working for the Ferrari F1 simulator and saying the weak point was the lack of real car data from real tracks to make things matching from IRL to virtual. That's the most complex part of the simulation job; simulate the given car physics to improve it. This meant for the team adding wind tunnels output data in the software simulation, instead real collected data on track, impossible due the new regulation. The other use it's just the track training, more focused on learning.

18. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Ah yes ... now I remember something about this ... there was certainly an issue with correlation in RL and correlation in the wind tunnel. Sounds like they've gone the whole mile to change things around.

19. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Please don't state opinion as fact. :)

20. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

And what was they using before rfpro? Which software?