Ferrari with rFPro

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paddler, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Panigale

Panigale Banned

The sim in the Ferrari museum is running AC but the real pilots will use rFactor Pro. Hard not to chuckle at that a bit.

Maybe this will open the door with Ferrari, F40 LM or F50 road car? (Check out build-threads and crack open a cold beer, one of the best resto threads on a F40 LM.)

Have to rethink Ferrari in F1, this is a sign that the old ways are ending. Marco's days as team principle are probably limited to the remainder of this season.

2. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Pretty impressive ISI, way to go :)

3. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

It doesn't have to do with Kunos, it was part of the argument. Kunos used to provide support to Ferrari for both fan museum simulator and for the team, but there was a falling out somewhere. rFactor Pro isn't an ISI enterprise so it is not the same. It would be wonderful if ISI had some pull similar to what Kunos achieved with Ferrari, and actually who knows what Gjon Camaj and Tim Wheatley have cooking in their minds and networks of contacts, but the argument is that this work done with the teams is very unlikely to wield benefits to rFactor 2.

ISI provides a lot and rF Pro utilizes it. rF Pro folks may obtain very specific team data (or not, the teams may have people to enter specific things) but because rFP isn't ISI, it doesn't carry over (NDAs as example of why). The same can be reasoned for content, deals for rFP are specific to that platform which isn't widely, commercially available. It would be a dream to have Ferrari cars done for rFactor 2, like the dream it is to have some of them in Assetto Corsa, but again because it isn't the same entity the original point remains.

4. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Someone raced FVA?
    How is the physics and feeling compared to rF2?

5. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Well there are two ways rFPro could benefit rF2. One is the contacts with teams which could lead to licences. But the other area it could benefit rF2 is in the core engine. As you said rFPro isn't owned by ISI so gaining cheap access to licences probably will not happen. But rFPro does have impacts on rF2's engine. More teams using rFPro isn't a bad thing for ISI thats for sure.

6. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I think the opposite. The guy is oozing Enzo Ferrari. He came in critical of the engine (regardless of them having to develop to a smaller size), cut the people heading their fields, and laid it to Alonso that it's the car that matters, not the driver... though that definitely isn't the case with how Fernando drives. Luca di Montezemolo often let criticism from Fernando slip because it was the truth, but maybe he softened up to Alonso over the years and the message from the Agnelli family was clear.

That said, the guy comes from America so here's hoping he has kids who play games and the thought of more Ferrari cars in different sims like rFactor 2 is a very attractive option :p.

By that reasoning though why don't we have more F1 cars or even road/racing cars from F1 teams? rF Pro is out to sell their services, not push people towards ISI. Working with rF Pro to serve their needs may shed some light on some areas for ISI so the pmotor side is more extensive but specific info is likely required and ISI isn't the one dealing with the teams so they can't have access to it. <-- Speculation

7. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I guess I didn't word that very clear. I was saying it could potentially bring licences but because rFPro isn't ISI it probably will not happen and hasn't happened. I was agreeing with you.

8. Miro

Miro Registered

Kunos provided only the GFX engine for Ferrari apart from the show simulators. They had no involvment in the F1 part apart from this.
    The other part was done by VI-grade AFAIK.
    Just as rf pro is using the current rf2 gfx engine just not pulling it through directX.

The difference is that isi devoloped rf pro aswell working together with an F1 one team which I assume was McLaren. And if they say they learned a lot for rf2 through this I guess it is true. The problem is you cant run rf pro on consumer home PC's and therefore the real time physics department has to be simplyfied quite a lot.
    BTW rf pro has modelling vendors for v-grade as well.

The difference is the technology. This know how is not just hot air.
    Actually I'd like to know more about that but there isn't much info out there for the 0815 simracer.

What data you get for your consumer simracing game from manufacturers is another storry.

9. Panigale

Panigale Banned

Well my guess is as good as yours and I respect your opinion (F1 discussion is fun nonetheless) but Marco was hand picked by Montezemolo who was just booted from the CEO spot. Marco is a salesman, doesn't know squat about racing or engineering. Salesmen can fumble their way through running a Fortune 500 company but in a sport where results are immediate and very public, I don't see it working well. Montezemolo picked him because he's knows how Ferrari "works" internally not because he knows anything about F1. My opinion of course but how Ferrari works is the root of their problem. Picking someone like Marco to run the team is more an example of Ferrari's old ways. Five bucks says he's replaced before next season begins. :)

I'd also take Alonso over Vettel. If they think Alonso was critical of Ferrari, wait until Vettel is struggling. Bottas to replace Kimi would have been a smarter choice I think. Anyway, sorry for off topic folks.

10. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

My last comment here (I'll try my best to stick to my word!) and it'll still be off-topic :p.

Remember Flavio Briatore? Absolutely no racing experience yet he was annoyingly good at running Benetton (regardless of the illegal traction control) and Renault. People aren't born with experience but acumen instead. Marco ran things in the US and if he fits the Ferrari profile and can be an effective leader, why switch? He already has the bitch resting face aspect down perfectly :p.

11. traind

traind Registered

Enzo would probably have loved Alonso. Enzo favored drivers with style and those that were fully committed. If they were in those categories he would tolerate much from them. In the current paddock, Alonso (arguably) leads the pack in those regards.

12. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Incorrect. He never said that. He always made it clear, and to me, that the F1 simulator did not feature AC.

13. C3PO

C3PO Registered

^ what he says.

14. Led566

Led566 Registered

Briatore...anyone?

15. C3PO

C3PO Registered

I wouldn't be so sure. Half the Ferrari factory seemed to be at their press launch for AC.

16. m0ck

m0ck Registered

has anyone here noticed rFpro running The Ring?
    http://vimeo.com/101508362

Too bad we probably will never see this commercial laser scanned version of The Ring in rF2 :(

17. m0ck

m0ck Registered

has anyone here noticed rFpro running The Ring?
    http://vimeo.com/101508362

Too bad we probably will never see this commercial laser scanned version of The Ring in rF2 :(

18. traind

traind Registered

Despite multiple people in this thread citing that Kunos was not the physics software in the Ferrari F1 simulator and the fact that RFPro is related but not the same software as RF2, still there is chest beating that this news somehow makes "my sim better than yours".

It never ceases to amaze me that some people seem to find a significant portion of their self esteem tied into what video game they like best.

19. Descoat

Descoat Registered

LOL.

Thousands euros spent in a professional driver to develop a simulator and finally they decided to use a rfactorPRO software. This F1 team is completely lost. I understand now why Alonso has decided to leave that chaos.

Sincerely, I don´t know If there´s a possibility to test that software like a demo. But for sure, that it will be quite different than rf2, specially under wet conditions.
    McLaren simulator is one of the best but none of them are close to the real cars as many professional drivers have said for years.

We need real tests in a real road, with a real car. In 10 years, perhaps hardware can support a complex software and can simulate in real time everything.

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ferrari F1 Team switches to driving simulator software from rFpro

source --> http://www.autocarpro.in/news-international/ferrari-f1-team-switches-driving-simulator-software-rfpro-6554

Maybe Ferrari got fed up with Kunos and wanted something a bit more sophisticated in the physics department, who knows. All I know is that it was pretty much widespread across the F1 paddock that Ferrari had one of the weakest simulators in all of Formula 1; that has obviously changed now and it's so cool to see Ferrari going with rFactor Pro.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2014