aiw~thing

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Bink, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Question 1: Looks good to me. Wasn't aware of the pacecar line.

Question 2: Silverstone International has the block line as 4th driving line.

2. Bink

Bink Registered

yea... I didn't know about PACECAR either... sounds reasonable though.

Silverstone, eh?... I'll DL it tomorrow... Got the gui, struct, and about half the 4th line functions done today... so perfect timing, Tosch.

Thanks

3. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

At least Tiger Moth and Silverstone uses block path.

In other hand, it's possible to build car class (or model) related special driving lines, which are described in RCD files (like DrivingLine=SparkF3_FAST, for example).

4. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Here is a list of driving lines I've found in some AIW and RCD files some time ago.

5. Bink

Bink Registered

Cool ... thanks.

Got an amazing pm yesterday. It was the top data block, and one waypoint block for an aiw file with 7 driving lines. They all use the same formatting and ori flavor as a fast line.... so.... information wise, we're good to go for having the script learn how to make 7 drive lines (thanks to Mike).

So... you know... a few more ones and zeros.

[edit]: On second thought.... why limit the script to 7? Maybe we should go for 12 like Portugal GT (above).... that way, when rF2 is ready to use them, we'll be ready to build them.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2014
  6. Bink

Bink Registered

Help !!!
    Woke up this morning wondering about Jka's post where he mentioned a 2nd Pit Lane. (??).. I am curious about how it is used... as an alternate, (?).. for different series [protos in one lane, GT in another] (?).. or same series just uses 2 pit lanes (?)... Questions at end of progress report spew (below).
    I did manage to come up with the mechanics of a new rollout in the GUI for optional driving lines, allowing up to 12 lines (total). It allows you to "clone" and rename existing lines to new drive line 'slots', and change the order of the drive lines (except for FASTEST, LEFT & RIGHT).

The idea is that most people will want to clone (for instance) one of their existing lines (like the fast), and then modify it in the spline editor so that it has the path of a new line (like WET or BLOCK). Additionally, there are controls allowing you to select, 're-name', 'move', 'swap', 'insert', and 'delete' your driving lines. Also are provisions for re-naming the LEFT & RIGHT lines to INSIDE and / or OUTSIDE (only)... [in other rollouts, the script figures out which side is inside & outside anyway...for other reasons]. Drive lines 3 thru 11 can be named whatever you want. This new drive line functionality is all in the "optional" section, and doesn't add any complexity to an "average" track's building process.

When I got that worked out, and for the most part, coded, I realized that "behind the scenes", there were some things that could be re-written in a more straight forward approach. [arrays of maxScript's object oriented version of arrays of pointers.. which don't need to be there anymore.] This is mostly because there are more things that the script can do now, and originally when I started writing the script, it wasn't as capable as it is now, and with the inclusion of garage paths, the extra drive lines... and now the prospect of implementing a second pit lane, things could have gotten wanky if some structural changes weren't made. So version 1.20 is going through a 'make-over' as to how and where everything is stored and accessed. Should only take a couple more days to get all this straightened out... and things will be more expandable in the future. This will have NO impact on user.
    About this "2nd pit lane"....

1. How or where does the game use it?

2. Are both pit lanes used for the same race, or is one for certain types of series, and the other for a different one?

3. Does anyone know of an existing track that uses 2 pit lanes (need to look at the file to see where the 2nd lane needs to be in the waypoint order)?

Thanks in advance...

7. Radar

Radar Registered

2nd Pit Lane or 2nd Pit bay?

2nd pit lane is easy to answer, 2nd Pit bay (or spot) not so.. I'm not sure any tracks ever used a second pit bay, not that I could recall anyway. Would this be for sharing of a pit bay if in teams, of if you have 30 cars but only 20 pit spots, that the 2nd be used for those additional car fields ???

8. Bink

Bink Registered

About this "2nd pit lane"....

1. How or where does the game use it?

2. Are both pit lanes used for the same race, or is one for certain types of series, and the other for a different one?

3. Does anyone know of an existing track that uses 2 pit lanes (need to look at the file to see where the 2nd lane needs to be in the waypoint order)?

Thanks in advance...

9. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

10. Bink

Bink Registered

@ lordpantsington .. interesting article. Seems like 2nd pit is rare. What I can't understand is why Jka had 2nd pit on his list of "should have" items for aiw building (?). 'Bout ready to just say "f--- it" with the 2nd pit lane tool. Thanks for the info.... Must be freezing in GR about now.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2014
  11. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

2nd pit is optional, not mandatory.

2nd pit is created same way than primary pitlane in ISI's editor.

12. Bink

Bink Registered

EDIT:.... Just got one PM'ed to me.... (thanks to Steve!!!)... thanks to everyone else that's been slogging through this as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2014
  13. Radar

Radar Registered

Hi Bink.. Sorry for delays, just getting on now to see how you progressed..

The track I did years ago had 2 pit lanes. Basically any lane that joins the main pit lane (is how I interpret the 2nd pit lane use). So basically like a pit paddock area..

With my track, I had the main straight, along side this was the pit lane, then along side that was the 2nd pit lane. The 1st half of the 2nd lane you couldn't enter as I blocked this with the main Pit Wall however it did join along the entry of the 1st pit lane, and exit where I wanted the cars to join (along the 1st pit lane, which in my case was half way down the lane)..

The idea behind this 2nd lane was to ensure that when your car started in the Pit Paddock area, that you drove in the right direction to enter the 'actual' pit lane and once on the actual pit lane you followed this to the pit exit and onto the race track. Doing this would ensure anyone coming out of the 'garage' (tents in my case) were all going in the same direction and not having accidents in the paddock. The other reason was the Pit Official would point you in the right direction when you left your garage.

I hope all that made sense Bink.

14. Bink

Bink Registered

Yea, I get it. Sounds like there are a variety of reasons why a track might have a second pit lane. In the link that lordpantsington posted above, it seems like "not enough space" for all the cars was the primary reason.

I'm just finishing up the (optional) "drive lines" controls the past few days. It's working out well, and allows for cloning (e.g. clone the fast to make a WET template that you can modify in the spline editor)..... You can also move, and swap the order that lines appear in the aiw file. Primary lines are fast, left, and right.... optional lines give you up to 8 more. Pretty sure that rF2 will only recognize 4 more atm, ... but they sound like they may 'recognize' more in the 'gold version.'

Probably post some images of the "Drive Lines" and a new "Build Status" panel sometime this week. After that, I'll look into 2nd pit.... now that we're armed with everyone's information on them.

Thanks for the info, though. It all helps....

15. Bink

Bink Registered

16. mschreiner

mschreiner Registered

17. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Don`t know what to say :eek:- GREAT!!

18. Bink

Bink Registered

v1.24 notes:
    1. Label at top of Drive Line rollout should say "lines 0 thru 2 must exist before use"...
    .... (FASTEST (0), LEFT (1), & RIGHT (2) templates are generated for you early in the script).
    2. The paths of (optional) drive lines 3 thru 6 are not figured out for you...
    .... ('Drive Line' ro let's you clone & rename existing lines which you then adjust in the spline editor).
    3. "Second Pit Lane" is not written yet (and may not be in first release).
    4. "Reverb" rollout will be removed... (collision corridors generate reverb anyhow).
    5. "Import / Export" rollout will be removed (max already does that).
    6. Every object that the script makes is now placed in a max "layer" called AIWthing...
    ....(so easier to import / export, hide, freeze, or delete).
    7. Internally, Spline Edit structure reorganized, and "Write" rollout functions rewritten...
    ....(write time for average track ~= 4 sec.).
    8. "Car Drop" may be removed (and become a little, separate script... later).
    9. Fixing a couple anomalies in the fast line generator is last goal.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2014
  19. Bink

Bink Registered

Fixed some issues with the fast line generator.... much better now.

5 Minute AIW file:
    In testing on Fuji (ethone's), Laguna (Mario's), Toban, Lime Rock, and the little test track that Mario posted, making a basic aiw file takes about 4 to 5 minutes. By 'basic', I mean that a 5 minute aiw will not be perfect, but it will allow you to put some cars 'on track' in rF2 devMode. The nice thing about doing aiw in 3dsMax is that, like track building, you can always go back in and adjust things so that it can become whatever you fancy as 'perfect'... given some extra time. You can re-make things too... instead of having to start over, as is the case with some devMode operations.

Oval Tracks:
    While the arrangement of existing controls for making the Pit Path works really well on road courses, when I tried to do Joesville, I found that the present pit path controls are pretty inadequate for ovals.

Everything else (other than the pit path) works well for ovals, so I've been working on some controls to allow oval track builders to "draw" the pit pit path spline.

When I work in 3dsMax, I've always used a 3d mouse [3dxConnection] (left hand), and 2d mouse (right hand). This makes "drawing" splines with the 2d mouse pretty easy.... as I can move the viewport with the 3d mouse, as I place new spline knots with the 2d mouse. 3d mice are pretty cool, as you can 'fly' the max viewport anywhere in your 3d space.

The other day I realized that lots of people probably don't have or use a 3d mouse (duh)... and that most "pick point" methods of drawing splines with a 2d mouse sit and wait for the next pick point... which doesn't give the user any way to use their 2d mouse to move the viewport. [Tragic 'light bulb above head' moment at 2am.]

Now, except for this new code for ovals, there are no places in the script where you must 'draw' splines with a mouse.... it's just an option so far (for collision corridors).

But... the new 'mouse drawing' of splines for the oval pit lanes will probably be required... so I'm working on something that always (automatically) centers the viewport on each previous 'pick point' (newly made spline knot) when drawing splines. Should be pretty cool, and will make it so that you don't need a 3d mouse.

Aiw[]Cam:
    Also working on putting the "aiw-cam" function back in the script.... so that it is available at track (driver level) for a new building perspective in max, as well as at some elevation above the track for when you are adjusting splines... That is... it will allow you to look at the spline you are adjusting from an overhead position, and allow you to move forward / backward, and side to side Along The Spline's Path. That way, left hand can be pressing some keyboard keys to move (or stop) you along the spline path you are adjusting, and your right hand (mouse) can be adjusting the spline editor's controls. So... in effect... it provides 3d mouse functions on your keyboard (without having to buy a 3d mouse)... which frees up your 2d mouse for adjusting the spline path that the 'aiw[]cam' is following. Should make spline adjustment much easier & faster.

Videos:
    Also bought 'Camtasia'... which means there will be some videos of this aiw~thing in action pretty soon.... once I make the time to learn it.

So... lots of little details.... and stability is getting better every day.

20. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Always like reading about your work - TIA