Tiger Moth Aerodrome 1.02 Now Available!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Justy

Justy Registered

Totally agree with you. I'm actually quite surprised, as well as disappointed this isn't more of a priority. I hope that we will at least see some of the graphical effects which are not yet present i.e. rain on windscreen/visor, that go with wet weather, sooner, rather than later though. :)

All in good time I guess.

2. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

This track is step back graphically after Indy and specially Mores! Ugly grass and cartoonish trees and not high quality textures! After Mores which I consider the best ISI track( high quality textures, shaders, grass.....) I thought here we go ISI has stepped up, but this one is like 2 steps backward!

3. Justy

Justy Registered

Looks fine to me. Just because there is less to look at, trackside object wise, doesn't mean its worse... just more bland. :)

I was under the impression, the only thing that has changed, is the terrain shaders. I assumed that would be the grass and so on. (i'm not an expert though, that is purely an assumption).

The grass and how it blends with the gravel and track surface looks great for me. :)

EDIT:

View attachment 14487

View attachment 14488

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2014
  4. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Mores terrain is for sure superior in terms of art, if compared to that one, but it was surveyed and developed from scratch with a huge ref material available so Wajdi has a point there. He just loves to exaggerate with a bit of drama, especially because, apart the grass art, there are LOADs of rehashed 2D from Mores and previous tracks. Same art he claims 2 step ahead if compared with itself. :)

5. Tosch

Tosch Registered

There is a bug in the current build (860) with the new terrain shader. You can see it when the sun is low above the horizon. Specular reflection looks strange. This should be fixed in the next build and has been mentioned by Tim in the release notes.

[​IMG]

Trees are different story. How much gfx memory you want to use for an object depends on how important the object for the scene is.
    Nordschleife (very important) = 135MB for tree textures + some bushes
    TigerMoth (less important) = 4.8MB for tree textures
    All trees for Tiger Moth are in a single 2048x1024 dds file (2.66MB + sepc and bump maps). For Nordschleife every single tree has it's own dds file and for some trees these files are 2048x2048 (5.33MB + spec and bump map).

Even with 64bit there is no reason to waste resources (and yes, Nordschleife needs an optimization pass).

...and btw the material settings at Tiger Moth looking great!

6. Tuttle

Read the OP post Tosch. :)

7. Justy

Justy Registered

I think he was pointing that bug with the low sun out to Wajdi. ;)

8. Tuttle

Yeah, n/m. I skimmed just after I saw the bug mentioning. :D

9. Pablo S

Pablo S Registered

Tim/Tuttle,
    Thank you for a fantastic track! Now, I seem to be having some issues with the AI, on R1 and R3 mostly, with ISI addons, like the FISI 2012 or the Nissan GTR, but also 3rd party, like the ASR 643, where the cars clip the barriers and crash. Aggression, I tried anything from 0 to 35%, 100% difficulty. Anyway, thank you guys.

10. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

11. Carlos Cavalcanti

Carlos Cavalcanti Registered

what bothers me is the lack of the effects of rain, watering the visor of the helmet or the car window, why ISI stopped and left side of this part? sorry I'm Brazilian and do not know English'm using a translator, I am a great admirer of your work but give more attention to climate change

12. speed1

speed1 Banned

Good job, looks great, performance is good but the crazy opponent AI/player AI is crashing into the barriers. :)

13. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Some AI cars are hitting the barriers some of the time. Lower the aggression a bit just below 30 and that helps a lot. Did for me. :)

As Tim said, accidents are very likely to happen here due to the extremely dangerous nature of the layouts. I usually have around 1/4 or so of the opponents dropping out. I have no problem with that. Love the drama it creates. :)

The Williams F2 is magnificent around the R1 layout. So is the Civic and FISI. The Skip Barber is crazy fun too and so is the 370z.

Don't know why people are holding back from using this track online?

14. speed1

speed1 Banned

How is the opponent AI agression related to crashing player AI,.......... the player car crashes into the barrier while under AI controle as well, and that alone on the track. :)

15. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Well, I usually do the actual driving myself, so... :)

16. speed1

speed1 Banned

Me too, just wanted to mention it. :)

17. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

This layout would be fun, as well as a completely blank layout - no tires, nothing. Just you and a strangely empty airport for all of your hoonage desires.

With the popularity of the various drift / cruise servers in LFS, I'd imagine a empty airport could be a blast with cars such as the Panoz, NSX and the coming at some point Corvette.

18. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Nice idea EB...

If doing a layout/version with no tyres, walls, etc. like Empty Box suggested, then just have a painted white line on both sides to dictate the edge of the course and have a strict tyre detection system that will disallow the lap if 3 tyres are out of bounds (not touching any part of the painted line in the slightest bit), or 4 tyres, (whichever is agreed on) at any single point in time. And throwing in a few movable/with-physics pylons every here-and-there for some references (rather than just going by painted white lines) wouldn't hurt, but not too many or it will look like some amateur, parking-lot, autocross track........Of course, if the track's "limits", or sections of the track's limits, are outlined/surrounded by grass/dirt/sand etc. then this won't be needed.

Speaking of pylons (with physics), road cars (with upgrade options), and autocross tracks....are you guys thinking what I'm thinking? :) ......

19. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

"At the moment" :)
    In the same interview you can read about them making changes to existing code in order to make it more future-proof. Sometimes you need to take care about foundations before you start building walls. Demand is one thing, but maybe it wasn't just the right time to do it for technical reasons. Also, if they're currently working on oval content, they don't need rain support that much, but they need to work on tires and plugin system for race rules. And perhaps it would be unwise to work on wet racing without further tire development? Who knows - they have better insight and likely see 3 times more things to do than when looking at it from customer point of view.

But like I said - I understand the demand. But sometimes it's a matter of dependencies between features and architecture of software - there are just things that need to be done first.

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Very, very good point :)