ASR Formula Open Wheel Classic

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Sderenno, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Sderenno

Sderenno Registered

Thanks for fuel bug.

2. Arandor

Arandor Registered

Absolutely gorgeous mod!
    One of the bests if not the best I have ever driven in rF2.
    I have no comparison - of course - but it 'seems' real.

And no offense, I have to react this:
    There are (at least) three major differences between IRL and Sim:
    • A sim driver do not feel any g-forces. Some are represented in the wheel, but it is still like you are driving with one hand and one eye. You don't feel the car at all in simulation compared to real life.
    • A simracer don't have any 'fear' (or caution) whilst driving. If somebody can do a corner 200 kph in Sim, IRL with the same car I bet he won't be faster then 150 kph (which is safe and grippy). I think in Sim we often overdrive the car. Since we don't feel it (1) .
    • Most of the simracers (including me :) ) haven't got the skills that makes a somebody a good racing driver. (Second reason why we (2) overdrive the car.. and spinning)

The question is: What do we want to simulate? The car and the exact car dynamics (like rF2) or the 'feeling' that the driver has while racing (simcade games)
    Of course if the goal is the car physics, then we will make a lot of mistakes, and it won't be the same feeling for us as driving irl. Maybe not entertaining at all. Good question which approach is the 'better'.

Sorry for the "off". I just have not enough self control to not react :D and act like a smart guy (obviously I'm not that :D )

3. Sderenno

Sderenno Registered

Answer is: I think rF2 can do all.

Simcade have many scripted aspect specially on feedback.

4. Arandor

Arandor Registered

Hahaha, you are right and this is the perfect oppurtinity to close this conversation with a compliment: This mod is a fine example to show that both approach can exists in the same car/mod: Here, we are on the edge. I bet I cannot drive a real historic F1 car like this (so there is a bit "cheat" (difference between the real "parameters") on it), but its so challenging and immersive that I believe I could have replaced Senna or Prost anytime :).
    This is the kind of mod I really like.

5. RaceDoedel

RaceDoedel Registered

Yeah, just say thank you for this awesome mod !
    This is best mod ever.

6. Sderenno

Sderenno Registered

You are right too.
    Our goal is to share our passion for these beautiful cars and for this SIM, creating something that is graphically beautiful, engaging in sound, with a rewarding feedback and that simulates a car similar in performance. I think that with some little fix we and you can be satisfied

7. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

The more I drive it the more I like it. Looking forward to the Fuel Fix :)

8. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

It is far from being "historical" physics so it is unlikely the thing is locked down ;). I am hoping they seek guidance or clarification on a few areas from the ISI masterminds - like the two SimHQ LMPs and the Lola T280 - so we can all benefit from this work. It is too beautiful to not be a top notch 91 season representation in all areas!

9. Remik

Remik Registered

Awesome mods !!! Thank you so much !!!

10. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW...

CCCRRRAAAPPP!!!!

McLaren comes out while my mobo has been RMA'ed, grrr....Not you guys' fault, though. Reading the replies I will love it, as I always thought the ferrari was a bit twitchy.

11. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

It is far from the 91 season BUT it is fun to drive. Imagine the DW12 without the lazy front end.

12. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I want to express my appreciation for these magnificent cars. THANK YOU so much. Your work is seriously in a league of its own. So awesome. Thank you. :)

13. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Guimengo, why keep saying "it is far from..."

What exactly are you not finding realistic?

14. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

There is likely a bit too much grip (tires were not nearly as advanced back then) and too much downforce (ditto), but it isn't "far from" in my view. It feels better and more authentic than any other high-end open wheel car I have ever driven in any sim anywhere ever ;)

As mentioned above, I hope the physics keep improving, but this is refinement, not fundamentals.

These guys have fixed the problems with the DW-12. I will say now it will/should feel more like these brutes when ISI gets done fixing their version.

15. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

It is DW12 with a couple of modifications. The little I drove, it drove awesome, but that's a different topic (I am a really big fan of no lazy front end and this altered Indy set provides that). I just want to make it clear to some folks here that I am very much in support and gratefulness of ASR, and they know, and trying to do my tiny part.

16. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Btw, regarding physics...I was a bit miffed because I spent a few hours on getting a balanced setup. But now the new one just is perfect out of the box :)

I think we're simulating being drivers, not engineers, so I feel more mod teams might take this approach, even at the risk of being called "too easy". F1RFT 2013 is the same, URD EGT also, these are mods that allow to work on driving skill, not endless setups.

17. Sderenno

Sderenno Registered

the IndyCar and F1 90 years have the same wheelbase, but the F1 had a wider trackwidth, so I believe they are similar and i think also that the very different of the grip can depend by the circuits that 20 years ago were definitely less carpets

18. Slamfunk3

Slamfunk3 Registered

Not to mention the IRL Dallara is pretty basic and old school tech. Compared to F1 of the early 90s which most def was on the cutting edge of technology.

P.S. Not that I'm trying to talk down the dw12, it does provide entertaining racing. But it is what it is.

19. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

So the 90's F1 should be even easier to drive and more capable?

20. Sderenno

Sderenno Registered

Guys, IMHO the difficult is not and should not be driving, but push the car into the limit