MSI GTX 970 mini review with rFactor 2 performance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrR1pper, Sep 25, 2014.

1. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Well I would mate if i not been running slimmed down OS images since day 1 with my 2500K

I ekked out every last rpm I think and without doubt at 3.7GHz the H97 Pro ( equal to Z97 if non overclocking ) with Haswell refresh was noticeably faster in desktop.

When I say noticeable to me mate I talk in 0.0 's :)

But I got to admit it surprised me somewhat, almost to the point I get crazy notion of running benchtests with my Card and SSD before I built for mate. lopl

I think a H97 Gamer and stock i5 ( save money on cooling and CPU ) so more left for GPU is a good option when you don't have quite enough.

Lot better its seems then H67 etc. was for mine.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2014
  2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Windows, especially 8.1, does a very good job of taking advantage of multiple threads. Also, Haswell has more instruction sets on hand compared to Sandy and even Ivy. Windows may be taking advantage of some of these additional instruction sets.

I just can't see rF2 having much difference with Haswell compared to Sandy Bridge. 4.5 GHz Sandy is about equivalent to 3.9 to 4.0 Haswell. If the program doesn't take advantage of any instruction sets first introduced in Ivy or Haswell, then I just can't see how a Haswell chip can be faster than it's equivalent Sandy chip, again, as long as the clocks are equivalent speed wise - 3.9-4.0 for Haswell, 4.5 for Sandy.

3. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Ok, i'm 99.99% sure it's not a cpu issue for good. The boost in fps that setting max pre-rendered frames = 1 was giving is no longer working and this is on my gtx 770. The cpu utilisation lowering effect is still there but the fps performance in the benchmark is reverting back to it's prior state (16% worse). I've tried all the other benchmarks and they are perfectly fine. I tried the bench again with the player and config file deleted and starting over and no joy. I then tried a clean reinstall of nvidia drivers and same again. I reckon it's my rf2 install playing up somehow, so i'm downloading the installer and going to try from scratch. Pain in the ass in it's the problem.

4. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

No change. I don't understand what is going on. Everything else apart from rf2 is performing as expected. I now get a consistent 16% fps loss on rf2 with my gtx 770. I don't know what the hell it could be.

5. Natureboy

Natureboy Registered

If nothing is working, try having the 770 installed - uninstall the nvidia drivers - disable the 770 in hardware manager and shut down. Remove the 770 and start up, then re-shut down and install the 970 and boot up again. Install drivers and see how it goes.

I had to do this when going from a 660 to 770. At first I got equal to +10% fps increase with some terrible lag on my g27 (Actually, I uninstalled everything logitech before uninstalling the 660 then put it back after the 770 was installed)

After this tedious and possibly unnecessary routine the 770 was giving +90% over the 660 and the temporary lag problem was fixed.

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Yeah rF2 I expect hogtied@3.7GHz the i5-4590 would start losing to the 2500K @4Ghz+

Great sweet spot for budget buy compared to a 'K'

Devils Canyon 4690K + $40
    Equal Z97 over H97 Pro +$40 or more

( although you can now overclock a K on a H97 with bios the Z97 will have better power stage and components for overclocking. )

Good clocks on a Devils Canyon you really want Corsair H100 cooling min. imho. + $100 ( thats 20% off Newegg too)

At Turbo it will push any single video card along fine.

That $180 above would buy the GTX980 over the GTX970.

4590@3.7Ghz + GTX980
    4690K@4.5Ghz + GTX970

Make interesting bench.

7. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I don't Know if this can help you, but my 7790HD flex edition runs much better in triple screen than single screen! I have done a lot of test, with single screem( 1080p) all max-60fps, while with 5760p and all max I got 68-72fps!

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

1. Durge did you try this thorough method to uninstall/install your drivers? --> http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php?p=307847

2. Make sure you are using the exact same AA. Set it from the NVidia control panel or NVidia Inspector and disable it in rF2.

9. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Not sure what we talking about here Spin.

I ran a i5-4590 / H97 Pro with a GTX460 SOC and Green 1TB.

Installing windows, drivers apps, tools and running said apps and tools and the 4590 was snappier then my 2500K running 800MHz faster.
    A few benches it pulled better marks then the same GTX460SOC in mine running at 400MHz less ( even allowing for driver maturity it was pretty close )

The only thing was slower then mine was boot-time due to no SSD. ( I know from many OS, test and HDD swaps how the identical WD Green Sata, runs on mine )

Nothing to do with rF2, I never even ran rF2 on it, I just mentioned in in reply to the 2500K owner how well the new i5 felt....and I thought they are a decent buy.

Assuming that is what you talking about lool I lost

10. Jiisuki

Jiisuki Registered

I'm having coil whine with a 760, only in menus. I'm having the same in Train Simulator. Those are the only games that I'm having this problem with. I've tried to enable adaptive v-sync, but it didn't help.

11. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Limit frames would do it for the menus, not V-sync.

12. CoNa

CoNa Registered

Just migrated from 7970 slighly oc'd to a msi gtx970.
    Comming from amd the past two cards owned, setting up nvidia surround when all monitors are not exactly same model, it was a real pita... AMD wins with eyefinity hands down. Had to run through a lot of testing to finally got it to run with full resolution and have bezel compensation.

But once I got that working.....true fps bliss.....almost all on full( shadows medium,reflections low), multiview,hdr and still 50% better fps.!!!
    All that initial pain was well worth it. And I have still not tried any OC yet. The 970 has plenty of extra umph to add if oc'd.

13. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

woa - what fps are you getting with multi view + nearly full detail? I'm looking at buying a gtx 980 (upgrade for my gtx 680) ... with medium / low settings and no HDR I can get 100+ fps currently ... I have triples and have been waiting for this kind of report.

14. rogue22

rogue22 Registered

Ripper where your in game test done with AI cars or solo?
    Give me a quick run down at which settings and track you used at 1080 single monitor. Just curious if I should upgrade my CPU or not.

Btw don't sweat the coil whine its more common than you thing, just more pronounced in bigger cards cards. You should hear my 7990 when it kicks in. Sounds like my PC is about to take off and hover around the room.

15. TechAde

TechAde Registered

So much new hardware, so little time.... :D

Attached grab is a fresh build 860 installation, completely default settings both rF2 and NVCP, except 1920x1200 and Level 4 AA selected in rF Config and zero AI selected in-sim. Civic @ Silverstone International.

On a GTX980. Frame rate is in top left.

View attachment 14364

16. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I used a replay for benchmarking comparison (because it's consistent) but it's not useful to gauge performance when live.

17. rogue22

rogue22 Registered

With full everything at 1080 my highest was 170FPS, my lowest around the pit area was 50 FPS.

I7 920 stock HT off (Turbo mode makes it jump to 3.2ghz when need)
    Gigabyte X58 UD5 motherboard
    Gigabyte 7990 6GB
    6GB of Corsair @ 1333

Note my GPU is dual core though, I used radeon pro to get crossfire working. As you can see its not your CPU giving you issues seeming I'm on a first Gen I7 at a low clock speed compared to everyones 4ghz overclock. Rfactor 2 doesn't benefit a lot from overclocking. I notice a lot of my DX9 games don't get as big a boost when I upgrade my video cards compared to DX11 titles so I wouldn't sweat it.

For a single GPU card, you got a good one, put the benchmarks away and game for Christ sakes, that's what you got it for. lol. :D

18. CoNa

CoNa Registered

With all details on full, medium shadows, low road reflections, no other reflections, 30 AI, on Road America, with multiveiw and hd on, I was getting +100 fps. I will not be home until sunday, then I can give you more exact details. Comming from the 7970, it's just amazing. rF2 is soo biased towards Nvidia.

19. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

Sweet! That gives me hope for my projected purchase sometime around christmas of a GTX 980 :)

20. rogue22

rogue22 Registered

Cona what do you get with shadows and reflections to on or at there highest settings?

I'm curious if I have crossfire working properly or not, compared to yours settings it seems like it is.