Another "hopefully one day our sims will sound like this" thread :)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Registered

Totally agree ! and the Toyota Celica was a blast too. Lots of ambient sounds really well reproduced

F1 1992 had a great sound too.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2014
  2. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Wrong driver for '92, but yes, I forgot that Lamborghini had supplied engines to a couple of teams back then. One of the most common problems with sim racing engine sounds is the lack of range...as if the original recording only covered a few thousand rpms instead of the full range of the engine. The ASR boys did a better job than others at accurate sounds and ranges, but yes, this one is probably the worst of the whole mod. It's still better than most of what's out there, though!

3. yusupov

yusupov Registered

the sounds absolutely made that mod for me, to echo the original point. still sore abt what happened & still hoping it makes a comeback.

4. speed1

speed1 Banned

It was divided into sections with the old gmotor engine, something like idle-idle low, mid- mid low-high and high. I've played a bit around with it for fun years ago but i've forgotten how it exactly was, anyway it isn't the full bandwidth. Depending on the rpm the sound engine remixed it.

Don't know how the current sound and physic engine does that but it wan't change much until someone simulates acoustic sound waves and resonance relatively to the developement, starting with air intace duct up to exit flue, but i don't think that will happen in the next few years.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2014
  5. speed1

speed1 Banned

Unfortunately no natural intake noise and no variation by engine inertia. The sound of simulations never made me believe to modulating a real car engine by the throttle pedal.

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Richard Burns Rally, Live for Speed, and older versions of NetKar Pro had audio created by physics, you should try them and see what you think...

7. speed1

speed1 Banned

It's been a long time ago when I had the opportunity to test or owned them. I usually have the property to dispose games if I don't use them anymore ( licences i would no longer find as well ), but I doubt no single sample were used.

8. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Registered

The only problem I found with the F1 92, is that some sound engine doesn't match the RPM range perfectly, and you find that the sound represents 10.000 RPM and the engine is running at 12.000 to put an example. This happens just with some engines as the Lambo, but others work perfectly.

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Yup, I noticed there was something "off" with the Lambo within 5 seconds of listening to a youtube video of it.

10. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Well then, they nailed most of them and can fix one. Still better than 99% of what's out there to my ear.

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

The sounds in that mod are awesome, for sure. Don't get me wrong, this thread wasn't aimed towards that mod (or any mod) at all.

12. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Registered

Yeah, I think the same, it was just an example. But it's true that most of the MODs don't get the best of the sound options. There is a lot more there that's still unused.

13. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

14. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Registered

a ma zing

15. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

16. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

Not F1 cars but one of my favorite open wheel car sounds.

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

FANTASTIC!!!!!

What would make people's hairs stand up more? What would make people laugh and jump up and down - like they were 12 years old again - more? What would get our hearts racing more?......Watching all the above videos but with no sound (completely muted)? Or just listening to the above videos (no visuals) with your speakers cranked and shaking the house with the sounds echoing and bouncing all over the place, feeling the electricity of the engines through your body, feeling and hearing all the complexities of the sound, the bass, treble, mids, as if there was a racing car war-zone brewing in your home ready to explode?

GRAPHICS ARE SO OVERRATED!! :)

18. datanode

datanode Registered

Sound improvements were one of my first requests, It has always been high on my list of desires. I really wish this area had some focus.

What concerns me is I am not sure it is even on the roadmap. Seems there are quite a few that seem to think the sound engine could really do with some attention!

The strongest memories are ones created by the sounds I heard. A good few years working around these cars, in some cases, these particular cars.

It won't won't leave me, but the sound engine in rfactor2 leaves a lot to be desired .

19. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Registered

For me the sound is essential, it makes you immerse into the race. It's a guide about what's happening with the car without the need to see displays or gauges.

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

1990 Lambo V12

Is that the engine in the F1 mod we were discussing earlier?