Interview: Gjon Camaj and Tim Wheatley on rFactor 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by guod, Sep 15, 2014.

1. coops

coops Banned

I cannot believe some of the posts in here i hope that when ISI start on rf3 1 day.. That they will not release it for about 3 yrs after they could have. Then ppl might be happy with what they have spent there $$$$ on instead of bagging the ****TER out of ISI for doing things there way. Get a life or make your own SIM if you think you know everything. Also if you are not happy walk away have a break and come back after a few builds have been released. I did it not because i was unhappy because i thought a break would be a good idea. I will always come back to rf2 after a break as i believe its the best sim on the market completed or not. Show me another sim that has an engine that can do what ISI is doing. Call me a FANBOY what ever you want but not late for dinner. If you are reading this its because you think its the best sim out there too or you would not be here posting in the forums you would be somewhere else POSTING AND RACING.

2. Eddy

Eddy Registered

I fully agree Coops

3. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

You said it best coops. :)

4. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

+1 nothing more to say

5. rhamm

rhamm Registered

I was certainly happy to read they're not in perpetual crunch time like lots of other game developers these days.

6. Woodee

Woodee Registered

It's probably the reason many are closing their doors left and right because they are being strained beyond measure. There is only so much pressure you can put on devs before they start cutting corners and releasing things that aren't as optimised.

Perpetual thing... when anything gets released people will ask if it supports the current hardware available etc... it's the iPhone mentality. Grass is always apparently greener with the newest tech. The gaming industry or hardware does not stand still. If they did I think they feel they won't be able to sell anything. There always has to be a selling point to everything, innovation for innovation's sake. At some point a dev team would have to plan and pick what they were going to use to build their game. If a game constantly has to be rewritten to support the best hardware released every 6 months, it's hard enough for big dev teams... not sure a small dev team could afford it! Especially with a niche product.

This is where sometimes I think dev teams that develop ONLY for a specific console (I know it's rare now) they don't have to "pin the tail on a moving donkey will blindfolded" if you get what I mean. :)

I also enjoy when we can all discuss things, no matter if the opinions differ. We can have differing opinions while being constructive and not calling out others.

Joel from Machinima says it well ;) (Warning: oh... there is some bad language in the clip linked from 36 min 34 secs)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2014
  7. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Me too, especially because I am one of those developers (not game developer but having to squeeze everything into arbitary timelines and budgets for people who have no idea what they are talking about). Nothing innovative comes from confining environments...

8. Nelson

Nelson Registered

I appreaciate ISI's insights. So thank you for the interview!

Unfortunately, a lot of conversations here seem to get poisoned in their course by few people.

9. stonec

stonec Registered

I had a re-read of the previous dev Q&A and it left quite a few open questions, more than answers actually. It would be interested to hear again from devs about the progress, especially with stock cars and multiplayer interface improvements. Many of the things mentioned in September are still in the dark for us.

Stock cars are probably one of the most important releases upcoming for rF2, but it has all gone very quiet as of late. Few months ago we saw some preview screenshots, since then nothing. I hope I'm wrong in that it doesn't mean they are significantly delayed?

I haven't noticed or read about any changes in realroad in the last couple of builds. It would be interesting to hear more in detail what changes are targeted, as this feature could still be improved.

Any news about this content, what is the next car on release list?

What is this new utility more exactly, are there any updates on this?

The experimental dedi interface is currently used by 0 servers, due to some obvious issues with it. What are the future goals of developing this tool?

This sounds very reassuring, although currently join experience is still the same as it was 2 years ago. What are the exact plans on making joining easier and how is it progressing?

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I'm pretty sure the Real Road improvements was the Scaling options, whereas before it was permanently 5x accelerated we then got the option to change that.

EDIT: Scratch that I'm wrong, the time scaling was added in June....crikey time flies!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2015
  11. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Also with the stock cars Tim has said many times they're basically waiting on contact patch updates for that.

Given its immense complexity, I'm not surprised it's taking a while.

12. Matt A

Matt A Registered

I'm waiting for the Stock Cars also, BUT I want them to be at ISI's usual standards, such as the recent re-release of the Clio, or the Formula Renault :) In fact the majority of ISI cars are fantastic, so for them
    to rush such a monumental and important update to bring us Stock Car earlier would be the very definition of counter productive imho :)

Like Rich said above, this stuff is complex, but I honestly think it will be worth the wait. And if you look back through this thread you'll see, ISI work at the pace they see fit, and I think that's the bast approach.

13. Golanv

Golanv Registered

I would very much like to see a realistic Stock Car (NASCAR) implemented in to one of the two sims I currently occupy myself with.
    rF2 has promised to deliver this, and I couldn't think of any better platform to give me an idea what it is like to drive a NASCAR on an ovaltrack.
    If the release is anything less than the top ISI witchcraft I would be automaticly disappointed, and revert back to waiting for improvements (read: Oval racing with Indycar).
    I doubt that very few have an interest in roadracing experience with Stock Cars, hence what makes Stock Car ovalracing what it is, should be in game before any attempts to release the vehicles.... (again).

14. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

When the Gen 6 car is released my first go will be at a road course.

I'm not and haven't been expecting the Gen 6 car to be released quickly since, as already stated, ISI must get certain things working with the contact patch before releasing. I've followed in the past development of another software's tire model for a couple/three years and know it's a complicated process and understand this contact patch thing wasn't going to be done in a month or two. I know lots say the development is slow but I can compare ISI to a big name racing simulator dev and ISI is actually quite on par or even quicker in tire model progress.

15. SVO

SVO Registered

I absolutely love oval racing and stock cars, but a Gen 6 car at The Glen would be simply amazing!

16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

+1

I just don't read for watch stuff like this for that one reason ( trolls and whiners)

The other is I do not want to know what may be coming or when to spoil it.

I don't hang on new models and content like most here do.

When they come they come gives me more time to enjoy what I already got.

Rather then continually pestering ISI ..." when am I going to get my xxxxxx Car " ( whine whine )

How lame.

17. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Dedicated server prototype does work better then regular dedicated server. When you are using Dedicated server prototype go to single player mode and choose settings you like to use online, if you also like to use real road(saved) random weather must bee selected , you must also edit Multiplayer.JSON, "Default Game Name":"Server name here", remember to open ports in you router/modem and also in you Windows firewall in case windows don`t do this automatically. :)

18. guod

guod Registered

Yeah, we're all anxious to see Stockcar 2014 (or is it Stockcar 2015 now?) especially with Daytona coming-up soon. Remember it isn't only the cars being worked on. Gjon said "We are undertaking a major revamp of our Race Rules code especially with regards to oval track racing." Getting those correct are vitally important to late model stock cars (and other oval racing) working as it should. And then there are the new tracks.

19. Woodee

Woodee Registered

*cough* 1960-1990's Indycars *cough* ;)

20. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

AC couldnt do half wuth rf2 beta was doing back then in jannuary 2012.

Just because its shiny and wif sun flares, Its the best sim ever.

Clearly they dont know whats the meaning of simulation. Simulation =/= screenshot generators. Nice graphics ez to achieve. Even a free race game on IOS can do dat.

Theres alrdy a religion of rf2 haters out there. They dun talk abt rf2....at all.