Interview: Gjon Camaj and Tim Wheatley on rFactor 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by guod, Sep 15, 2014.

1. FatnSlo

FatnSlo Registered

Disappointed that better triple screen support (in game bezel management, side screen angles, etc) still looks like it will never happen in rF2. Me and others have been asking for this for years. The Q&A before this last one said better triple screen support was being worked on also yet not a thing has changed.

2. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Hmmm, how big is the pizza in gjelina? The pomodoro (tomato... basically our typical cheese pizza) sounds good but looks a bit pricey depending on size! The second one, it's a full-on French dining experience?! My French is ok but my food French is abysmal, I was completely lost in that menu :p.

3. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Funny how perspectives can be so 180

It told me they have a different view on matters and personally I quite liked it. Dev's and the like are hired for a reason you know, it makes sense to allow them to fully explore their potential.
    You should hear dev's from big software/gaming companies complain about how tight they are being held, how little they get to express themselves technically, how little creativity is allowed and how they are being pushed to finish up because the next 'task' is awaiting their over crowded schedules.

For all you know in a system like this we would never have seen real road because the bossman demanded x & y in a set time limit.

And just look at the size of this team and claiming they haven't achieved much......you have no idea what you're talking about do you?

See above. same story.

Any idea how Google handles their people? they get their cloths cleaned, have spa's, run their own projects, get food, fitness, lots of freedom to ensure people are happy, well fed and all that to allow them to tap into their own creativity and come up with great stuff.

Such a failing company :p

MP is one of my biggest worries as well. In fact with the next build our 20+year old league might be in for a shutdown now that xp is being ditched, but I (we) never really blamed rf2 for creating this lull. its an issue with many aspects and I really don't think the packaging issue (how annoying it can be or was) is solely to blame for this (although I think Gjon was somewhat black and white on the subject, I doubt it will increase MP usage purely because of that) that's an admin issue at best when you are talking about the general MP experience and that has never been a problem with rf1 where things where a million times more complicated.

Iracing makes tons of money on a closed system and they can both afford and influence their MP experience, that is simply not the case with rf2, its different. apples and oranges

Individuals hosting their own events do not rent expensive servers. what are you talking about?
    And doesn't the interview state the MP setup will be changed and made better?

Don't get me wrong, I can be very critical as well, and not always too happy with how things are done or not done. (although my worst criticisms I usually press 'cancel' instead of submit) This week we are again facing an MP vmod error and tbh I just gave up on it for the time being, to fed up sometimes with investigating problems.
    But those things come with the deal we got, an open source highly configurable platform. its part of the deal, always has been with rf.
    If we want that changed then we are in for a much tighter agenda with only a few things people can fiddle with and little innovation.

I'de rather be annoyed at times and pause for a few weeks to cool down and enjoy what they throw at us next , then to have to deal with a perfect platform without flaws and issues and....wait....such thing does not even exist :p

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2014
  4. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

mines pretty expensive :(

5. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

What you using it for? few hours public fun in the week? or full blown events?

When we are talking about individuals setting up events i'm assuming they are 'hosted' races from a local system, not $1.000 server boxes, that don't make much sense to me.

6. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

fair play, mine gets used for 2 series and is a dedi box

7. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Well the people using your server and running in those series are very lucky then, I hope they appreciate it :)

8. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Again, I must have missed something... Where does it say that this sim should be "complete" by now?
    A link..? A quote..? Anything...? No? Oh that's right: ongoing development.

Oh yeah, ISI definitely need some greedy money men hanging over their shoulders...

Cigar in one hand, whip in the other, forcing the devs forwards in a rapid pace.
    That way we can have a lot of completely "finished" features and content that completely suck because the devs were forced to compromise on everything in order to meet the Big Man's deadlines.

Remind me again why I moved away from consoles and AAA games...? :rolleyes:

/As this thread is getting a bit poisonous by now, I'd like to say that this is not meant as an attack on you.
    Just a few thoughts of mine served with a pinch of sarcasm, like always. :)

9. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

We get by with a 29 Euro/month server for our league but the only reason that's affordable for a small league is because I had an unused Windows Server licence of my own. A dedicated server gets expensive real quick when you combine a monthly fee for Windows.

10. rogue22

rogue22 Registered

And your surprised?

Lol!

11. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Why not just host from your PC? I hosted 100s of races albeit usually low double digit attendance but without a single problem ever.

12. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Tried, not fit for purpose. We regularly get approaching 30 in our BTCC series.

13. speed1

speed1 Banned

Either the interview was arranged or the media consultant has in no sense a feeling for the right questions. :) It was very cramped/rational and lacks the interhuman relations, such as for example, the background of his motivation why he programmed a simulation and not a triple AAA title. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2014
  14. Led566

Led566 Registered

The admin of my league programmed something similar server side.
    Now every time we get in the server we have the weather of the session based on real-time weather forecast of that location at that precise moment. It means temperatures, rain probability, winds, humidity all based on "near" real time forecast at 20 min intervals (latest forecast available for the locations when the session starts) .
    Needless to say...racing in Europe racetracks in the winter, could be a very difficult thing.:mad:
    Last week we had Poznan wet, while last monday Sebring was overcast but dry (you know it's Florida;))
    Some races in England? Maybe better wait until next June :cool:

15. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Whenever I see somebody expressing concern over "why isn't this finished?" or "Why don't they work more on this?, all I can imagine is that these expressions are completely ignoring how this type of software gets accomplished.

Surely in the act of expressing concern or disdain, they haven't forgot the number of people working.
    Biggest thing in my mind for others to understand, is that ISI more or less are their own agenda creators. They started with a plan and projected things they wish to accomplish and the manner in which to attack it ( put this concept into action and then this other concept can fit with the first one and those two will make this new concept work..... and as with other talented creators in any field of creation, they see something else that could be accomplished by reworking the first two concepts).

This is what gets you things like real road etc. As time goes by people ask for more of this or that, and someone in the group sees a suggestion from users and off they go creating another new thing, most of the time this requires reworking those first three things to be able to support the fourth new thing.

That process repeats it self over and over. You can end up with things no other sim has, and that gets customer thinking that the "Moon" must be possible.

Then here we go again.... "why isn't this done? whats holding up this other thing! Customers keep asking for the "Moon" with out realizing that a few clusters of a few people are going thru this evolving of software not only continually, but in different areas of the sim (tires, track, suspensions, FFB. etc. etc.)

All these different projects have to "fit" together to give you a racing experience that in most areas excel where other sims pale.

We have seen people around here work for year or more on just a track. ISI has the whole darned program.

SHEESH!

I don't get the disdain from some, that is just outright foolishness, if you consider what we have at the moment compared to what wasn't here.

16. speed1

speed1 Banned

The real reason is the bad interview for all the bad response, not his answers. ;)

17. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Agree to all sir :cool:

18. speed1

speed1 Banned

My baby makes me forget everything.

19. tjc

tjc Registered

Yip... chook = chicken... :)

(Just thought I`d throw that in... )

20. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Yep, in Australia we have "chook" and meat raffles in pubs and clubs. :)

Point being I agree with Gjon.

I don't accuse people of PC illiteracy like some....... "my" motto for my much loved rF2 hard drive and Operating System is kiss ....... "keep it simple (DD) stupid " lopl :p

How many pile program on program after program, multi AV and malware and such and expect ccleaner or add remove to solve everything.
    How many consider a fresh Operating Systems a waste of time except in the most direst of times .
    How many spend considerable time testing various hardware and software combinations and settings for capability, stability and performance.
    How many make solid archives of all their rF2 gear and backups of all relevant files and folders just in case
    How many click update or run a setup without a moments thought.

All this stuff I would already have well covered before I layed any blame at ISI's chook feet. lol

Just saying. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2014