Interview: Gjon Camaj and Tim Wheatley on rFactor 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by guod, Sep 15, 2014.

1. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Packaging and other stuff get over it gess......, off your heads ask me, same as Gjon says about installs " never had a problem" .... neither have I. :confused:

Some of you couldn't run a chook raffle your life depended on it. hehehe :)

I mean seriously so if nothing else changed some of you apparently would be happier driving inferior fizzix. lol ;)

I also thought it was good article lot of new info for me.

Maybe some of you should stop sitting on tweets every day of the week, you will get a ulcer . :p

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2014
  2. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Ah, OK. Then next time I send a e-mail directly to Tim instead of posting here in the forums.
    Good advice! Thank you!

3. speed1

speed1 Banned

Doesn't change the fact what it is for turkish people and where it comes from, and it wasn't meant nationalistically. Similar to whisky, wodka,............. etc. , of course meanwhile all those drinks are produced anywhere on the planet but still they have a place of origin. :)

Seems to be a common characteristic of us human how fast we get out of peace when the word National is in use. :)

4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

The other clothes store sells blue shirts. I know you have five other colors, but you need blue shirts.

5. 88mphTim

*googles "chook"* Chicken?

And I agree on the tweets. It sometimes seems people are more waiting for information about features than they are the features being deployed. I felt a bit crappy last night, ran the sim for a bit on Tiger Moth (hope I can get a nice video out soon to preview it) and felt ooooodles better.

6. 88mphTim

I'm replying to you right now. What posts of yours with legitimate questions haven't been answered?

This thread was supposed to be for any further debate or questions. What you used it for is entirely something else.

7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Can't even do an interview without a bunch of drama, geez, lol

8. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Oh dear... I hope I've not made you a load of extra work, sorry.

9. 88mphTim

I've never had a problem with anyone asking things, just like you said. I assume I missed a post of his somewhere, and he took it personally.

10. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

A question I do have;

With the possibility of the rules being totally customisable in the future (I'm guessing this means more depth to the flexibility of what's already available) will this be by means of editing files as currently or will it be added to the dedicated server UI, like another options page?

11. 88mphTim

A mixture, most likely, much like the rest of the in-sim UI, the most common options should be UI based, uncommon ones very likely not to be.

12. speed1

speed1 Banned

I hope the sushi has not thrown us out of the ground, I feel a little responsible in relation to OT,..........but it seems the sushi has pulled me into his spell. :p I had a hard time to get it out of my mind, and a nightmare haunted me in the sleep. :)

13. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

cheers. This is something I am very much looking forward to.

14. peterchen

peterchen Registered

No. You don´t have missed a post. I´m barely asking any questions. I just remembered a few questions that others had
    where the answer (if any came) was..... difficult to understand at least (to avoid the word "unclear":) )
    And I don´t collect these cases, so I won´t give any examples.
    No. I don´t take anything personally.
    And no, I never said something like "ISI sucks", "rF2 sucks" or "this and that sucks". That´s not my style.
    (just saying as a precaution, in case someone want to put me in this drawer. Doesn´t mean that you ever said I think or said something like this Tim! :) )

At Spinelli: The drama is home-made.
    The expectations of Tim and ISI regarding the reaction to the Q&A interview differ "a little bit" from reality. Thats all.

EDIT: Aaaah, sorry! Now I was OT again!!!

Edit2:
    At least I have one real question:
    That development of the wheather system is now not at a high priority
    means we don´t have to expect a real-time-wheather-through-internetupdate-gizmo
    anytime soon, right?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2014
  15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Those configurable rules that are coming is something if never thought of but will be a great addition

Looking at the stock car/oval rules thread I think I'd really need to swat up on them otherwise I'll be breaking them all the time & getting banned lol

P.s I'm real world race karting each day in asia & totally loving it
    Us sim-racers really do have a massive (& unfair) advantage -on my 1st session (without knowing the track)
    I was way ahead of people that said they'd done 12 sessions!

I'll take a pic of the karts see if anyone knows what it is

16. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Oh dear...I am somewhat saddened by some of what I have just wasted valuable breathing time reading in some of this thread. Gjon and Tim and others have really made an effort of late to open up about rF2. That interview was a rare and precious thing. People (including me) have griped on for ages about communication, ISI stick their head above the parapet and BOOM some people start shooting them down all guns blazing...Well thanks for that, yes I would have liked to hear more, but now? Well I'll be surprised to see them do more...

For myself I enjoyed reading that interview, no I didn't see everything I wanted, no it looks like I am not going to some of see my personal priorities dealt with for a while, but there was much other stuff and some reasoning as to what and how they are progressing as well as confirmation they are not going to sit back and say job done any time soon, in fact there is much more to come over time. Nice one guys.

17. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

The first few questions and responses in the interview are very telling. They explain why rF2 has not been able to achieve much of what we thought could be possible. basically, they have allowed the devs to come up with their own preferences for what they develop without an overarching design for the sim. This means wasted time with half-baked features, incomplete, move onto something else I'm bored now. This is where a publisher comes in really handy. They make the devs stick to what they had committed to release. If they over-committed or can't deliver, well, their hard luck. It's a necessary discipline ISI clearly lack. It clearly shows in the delivered product: lots of promise, not complete.

I think it important now for ISI to recognize they made a mistake in not getting this distributed via Steam. It should be made a priority, if they want this to grow. Their own methods are frankly rather lame, and they waste time on developing methods when there is already a framework that works, takes care of all the commerce etc. etc. Plus, it brings in lots of eyeballs in a way that DIY does not do. And if Gjon has had no problems with the updaters and installers.... well, I'm sure I speak for very many, we've had the exact opposite experience and have on multiple occasions done a complete uninstall/reinstall to overcome a game rendered unplayable.

The packaging system design has proved unworkable. It's fairly clear none of the mod teams have managed to get on top of what is needed to make tires, and without that, we have no mods. (The only ones are payware). Plus, it should be fairly clear at this point that the mod scene has now changed, most of the folks who were doing that aren't any more, and the better path is to develop fully licensed content internally. ISI doesn't have the staffing strength or funding strength to do this, and seems to have little ambition for this either. Ultimately, this is what is going to limit the sim.

The other area not covered much at all in the interview is the multiplayer aspects, and the lack of online participation. I put this down very much to ISI not offering a fully hosted environment. They need to do something like RRE, iRacing in offering this. It's become both too difficult and too expensive for individuals to host their own events, and I see very few hosting companies stepping into the gap. I mean, what is Cloud supposed to be about if not this? Again, I feel this is both a lack of ambition and also a lack of resources.

So, my conclusion is that what exists is some nice code, some nice models, and very much a nice amateur/hobby system and development approach. The flaws that exist could be overcome but only by going at it with a serious, industrial approach. It's been proven small companies can pull off massive MMORPGs. I don't see ISI trying to partner with an EA or Valve who could develop such capabilities. And so, in future, we're going to continue with this incomplete, limited game which will be unable to reach its full potential. ISI are satisfied with what they've built; but, it isn't what their customers want or need in many areas, and there's no great desire to make those things happen. This is all fine, they can do what they want. But there's a great danger they'll get swept away by teams/devs with much greater ambition and drive, to which customers (and even mod teams) will flock.

18. 88mphTim

Yes, asking people to act on the internet like they would face to face is indeed very far away from reality. That doesn't mean the expectation should go away. I will always expect visitors to our forum to not act like 'gamers', and if they exhibit the worst qualities commonly associated with 'gamers', then I probably don't want them to post here at all.

I am confused by your previous statement and this latest post. You said that you have to fight to get answers. I asked you to give any questions you'd not been answered, and you say there weren't any for you? Does this mean you were just piling in on drama, attempting to cause more? Because that is my only explanation for the contradiction you have shown there. I can only describe that as disappointing.

Right, if at all. We've never actually said we'd do realtime (as in, real life 'what's going on right now at the real track') weather natively, I doubt we will.

19. peterchen

peterchen Registered

First: Thank you for the answer!
    Second: No,no! It was never intended to piling in on drama, neither I wanted to cause some!
    It is just like I said:
    I had just the impression that communicating with you or getting an understandable and easy answer
    is (sometimes) difficult. And I bet I´m not the only one who have this impression!
    Maybe you have another impression, maybe I´m wrong, but I thought it was worth to mention. (and to think about).

Besides that, my first post in this thread had nothing to do with this. You wrote "Perhaps I'm not clear, perhaps you're not understanding, no idea." Perhaps, yes! But you did nothing to clarify it. Your choice.

20. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

I think when asking a question and that question being answered it is important to remember that Tim or others may not be in a position to divulge information in the depth we would like. This may be because either they are not allowed as something is early in dev or, they are simply managing expectations because they don't want to be perceived as promising something they are not sure they will deliver.

Of course, they may have no info at all and still attempt to answer to appease the person asking the question.