Interview: Gjon Camaj and Tim Wheatley on rFactor 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by guod, Sep 15, 2014.

1. speed1

speed1 Banned

I guess the engineer tought it would be enough for his customer until he understood the needs and developed a 4 wheel drive, but as he finished his work he realized the customer was already dead. :rolleyes:

2. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

I've had two occasions (I think) where I have wanted answers for very specific questions.

I think one was to do with oval stuff and one was because I was making a video and didn't want to be misinformed.

Both times I emailed Tim. Both times I got answers to my questions.

It was hardly a fight.....

The pace of development is no more glacial here than it is anywhere else. If you sit down and actually think about the other sims, what they deliver, how fast and the size of teams involved.....ISI seem pretty bang on to me....

3. Adrian

Adrian Registered

Tangentially related, I believe increased developer interaction with the community helps to create a positive environment as it humanises the company so people see it as a collection of other people like them and less as so cold and uncaring entity. The positivity and acceptance of the track team's work has increased a lot since they started posting on Twitter and here more for example.

By interaction I'm not just meaning telling people what your working on and posting screenshots etc btw :)

4. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

Lucky for us, that no matter if ISI is doing good or wrong, our life doesn't depend on it :D (that is, if they don't decide to build bombs and guns and everything behind our backs :p )

Personally I don't have a problem with ISI. Off course (as said above) I do have some wishes that are not there, but I got the feeling that ISI are doing anything they can to give us a product that as many people as possible can like. And I think they are doing a great job at that. In the end of the day I paid for a Sim that didn't have rain, had only 4 or 5 cars or so, and had even less tracks. I was told that I bought the game as-is, and for me everything extra is a bonus (maybe a needed bonus for me to keep enjoying it, but still :p ) and I have very good faith in ISI to keep developing the game (both code and content) for years to came, just as they told they would. (I wouldn't say I would be happy if they wouldn't add anything, but looking at everything as a bonus is way more satisfying for me. I'ld rather be happy with something extra I did get, then being angry for not getting what I expected) ;)

5. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Even if this interview was never made,nobody can accuse Tim as being "cold and uncaring", just watching his avatar all these years proves he is human and not cold and uncaring ;)
    Gjohn on the other hand is cool, but he should contribute more here imho.

6. boxer

boxer Registered

+1

7. speed1

speed1 Banned

Of course, it is only a point of view I try to show and to make it clear as possible. The intention should be clear, at least i hope so. :)

8. speed1

speed1 Banned

He must be cool, he likes sushi. :p

9. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

I like oysters, I guess Im cool :cool:
    Seriously, sushi is good for longetivity, if you can gulp it though :S
    I guess a gourme forum is needed here :rolleyes:

10. speed1

speed1 Banned

Stop talking about food man, i'm in the sleeping mode, otherwise i'll start a early morning cooking session. :) GN8

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk

11. Adrian

Adrian Registered

:) exactly, if your a normal human with emotions and even a shred of empathy it's Much harder to say “Tim sucks” than it is to say “ISI sucks”

Also Tim's good leason is a bad one imho. Sure if no one from isi ever came on here then there probably would be less negativity but there would also be a lot less of the great community we've got. Guess it all come down to wether you believe in those words Lord Tennyson wrote :)

12. pkelly

pkelly Registered

Gjon & Tim - thank you for taking the time, from your busy lives and rF2 work, to answer questions posed to you in these interviews. Refreshing and candid. Thanks for singing the same tune as before. We know where ISI's at...if we've been listening carefully. Looking forward to more creative endeavors from the ISI crew :)

13. Gjon Camaj

Gjon Camaj Registered

This is my absolute favorite restaurant (and happens to be one of the best in the country)
    http://www.gjelina.com/

Then this one:
    http://www.aupieddecochon.ca/

As for drink, I usually stick to local Michigan beers. Also fond of rraki made in the Balkan highlands and smuggled into the USA in plastic Fanta bottles... that's just the hillbilly in me coming out.

14. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

What a way to end a thread! Now we know the answer to the top question. The answer was a lot more enjoyable (and palatable) than most of the posts. Thanks, Gjon!

15. Natureboy

Natureboy Registered

Some very nice info in the interview Gjon, thank you. I knew this Sim was special within the first few corners of trying it out, and for my first online race the experience was more than worth the whole $85 for a limetime license. I am very happy to hear that you have a plan to get online use back up because the online racing is truely unique, challenging, fun and rewarding.

Thanks.

16. Miro

Miro Registered

Hehe, raki is from Grece, rakija is from tha Balkan. Use to keep my fingers of this stuff since I spent two days with my uncle burning this stuff two times over again from his own plums.

17. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Thanks for the interview! After over two years with rF2 I'm still loving it as much I did in the beginning - if not even more. Always new stuff/improvements coming. No other software has been able to achieve that to me. Only thing I'm not happy with is lifetime license which I bought at the beginning: it makes me feel guilty! :)

18. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

'The customer is always right' mantra does in no way apply in this case, imo. Imagine a customer going into a clothing store, starting to criticize the colors of the clothes, how the clothes are produced, and yelling at the employees about how their business model is wrong. Its a ridiculous notion, but that is to some extend what's going on here most of the time sadly.

Its also funny to me, the way some people set up success criteria for ISI. 'ISI need to do this and that in order to be successful'. Guess what? No they dont, because they have their own criteria, and guess what? They already are very successful. Not a single average sim racer could possibly know what's best for this company. ISI is successful because they do what they feel is best. Like all great artists. God forbit they start letting themselves get dictated by this confused bunch of users. That would be the death of rF2. :)

Sendt fra min LG-E400 med Tapatalk2

19. speed1

speed1 Banned

He is a human. :) I was scared and had a nightmare because of the sushi. :p

Beer is ok but I recommend german beer, the RAKI is the right choice, the hillbilly in you i like, about the food we should talk again. :)

Originally Raki is a turkish national drink.......writen without the i on the end. In the turkish alphabet there is no i, it's writen without the dot on the top. ;) http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakı

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2014
  20. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

lol you are not talking to turists, keep the national out of raki, we all produce it, have it and drink it around here ;)