Lets Talk Racing! - Car/Track Techniques, Setups, Telemetry, Replays, Help/Advice,Etc

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Miro

Miro Registered

2. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Speaking about racing/driving advice, I tried searching, but I didn't find it - Do we have a car setups thread? I'm very bad at creating my own setups.

I find it very helpful to drive and compare other people's setups to see what they've changed from the default and how it affects the car.

3. jjcook

jjcook Registered

1. rf2 has a handy little 'compare ' button in the set-up menu....you can load your own set-up, click on another s and hit 'compare' to show the two set-ups side by side-....i dont use others set-ups , i have my own quirks , but i do like to compare mine .....i find it most useful for checking to make sure i have not botched the gearing for a particular track

2. mix up the discussion:: "slow in , fast out "....discuss! and a tip from Alison Hine i remember from gpl - 'dont cut clean and coast' like you do in a street vehicle

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2014
  4. tjc

tjc Registered

5. tjc

tjc Registered

6. tjc

tjc Registered

Thanks guys... some really good stuff in this thread already. :cool:

7. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Just FYI I have collected several good videos and cheat sheets from around the web at professionalsimracing.com

8. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2014
  9. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Use DeltaBest :)

10. tjc

tjc Registered

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

There was one before but it seemed to be pretty inactive unfortunately.

Edit: Found it - http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/7429-rFactor-2-Car-Setups . Maybe it should be a made a sticky to encourage more activity.

Can share setups here too.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2014
  12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

13. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Nice! Thanks!

14. kotakotakota

kotakotakota Registered

I imagine most people have seen this one already but it's a classic so I'll link to it for completion :)

15. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

If I have a car that is squirrely at entering corner first thing I do is reduce coast. Quick declaration due to engine rpm's translating to the diff. can unsettle the car real fast.

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

You mean you want to add coast (higher % #)....The lower the number the more loose...

17. rongarz

rongarz Registered

Other than buying a new set of pedals, does anyone have advice for improving my sense of braking with the Logitech DFGT brake pedal? I did put some foam material under it to add resistance when it gets close to the floor. I have raised the relative volume of the brake sounds, which has been a slight help. I'm not asking about hardware mods, but I'm looking for sim and software settings and practice techniques.

I know the theory of threshold braking from reading and watching videos, but I still have no sense of the correct pressure until I've passed it and lock up. I lose time on every corner against AI and other players. When I try to match braking points that I see other cars using, I either lock up and/or end up off the track or into the cars in front of me. To stay on the road comfortably, I can tell that I'm generally using two or three times the braking distance as others, which kills my lap times.

I know I can adjusts the brake bias, but I've been trying to learn with the defaults first. Are there any other settings that would give a better feel for braking with poor pedals? Are there any videos specifically looking at sim braking? I have already watched the Skip Barber video, other real world racing videos and the iRacing lessons. Are there any tracks or maybe a skidpad track for calibrating and improving braking distance? Or maybe there is some other utility or plugin for real-time visualization of proper braking?

18. Hermmie

Hermmie Registered

The DFGT Pedals ( as any Logitech-Entry Level Pedal Sets ) are quite poor to be honest. I've seen people fitting a squash ball under the brake pedal for a more progressive and harder braking feel.

I would suggest using the on screen tire / damage overview ( where you can see all four tires with their temperatures ), so its easier to notice when the front tires lock up ( turning from red to yellow quickly due to the rising temps ) and setting the tire sounds as high as possible, maybe even lowering engine noise and sound effects. That definately helps me managing my tires alot better.

Also note that depending on the car used, the setup ( especially downforce setup ) can change braking behaviour quite drastically. A high-downforce car can cope with strong braking pressure when the downforce is still working at high speeds, but you need to reduce the braking pressure when the car is going slower to avoid locking up. The more downforce, the more braking and vice-versa.

And, remember to squeeze the pedal, not slam it. The sudden weight transfer will lock the brakes, it needs a gradual build up for maximizing the braking performance potential.

19. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Try different materials under the pedal, tennis ball, squash ball, whatever you have lying around the garage, to improve the feel of the brake pedal.

20. speed1

speed1 Banned

Try to adapt the brake pressure of the vehicle (setup) to the pedal. Use as an indicator the max pedal stroke or pressure point. You can see the effect very well when you set max right height and maybe soft suspension. The maximum pedal travel could be the maximum brake pressure as for example as well, or the desired pressure point. A car is not only braked based on pedal resistance but by the body's emotional together with speed reduction and tire noise in the first place. You must try to replace the missing body feeling by visual motion.

The maximum pressure should be ideally reach the maximum spring travel of the front before the tires lock up.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2014