Can't see any car parts in mirrors

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, Aug 30, 2014.

1. speed1

speed1 Banned

kaptainkremmen and TechAde, very intresting way, thank you. I'll try that but i doubt i'll get to it today. So you guys mean i should be able to see the mirrors whith correct settings. Ok let's see what i can do, you will here from me. ;)

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk

2. TechAde

TechAde Registered

It's not quite as simple as that as it'll vary from car to car and even then will be hugely influenced by seat position, even with the correct (calculated) FOV.

Imagine sitting in the real car and placing your monitors in front of you, at the same distance from your eyes as you have them in your rig.

Can you a) see the mirrors without moving your head or b) are they hidden behind the monitors?

If a) then no, you shouldn't see the mirrors in-sim, if b) then yes, you should see the mirrors in-sim.

Now think what happens when you move the seat (and therefore your eye position and the monitor position) backwards. The mirrors that you could see either side of the monitors are now hidden behind the monitors. In this seat position you should be able to see the mirrors in-sim.

3. Slamfunk3

Slamfunk3 Registered

From what I recall rf2 no longer uses a separate cockpit model. At least the ISI cars don't, the high quality cockpit model is part of the main model. However I know there are cars converted over from rf1 that still have them separate.
    As for the mirror view, there's an option in the .plr file where you can pick what is rendered in your mirrors. It worked in rf1 (and thus GSC) but I remember someone on here mentioning a while ago that it doesn't in rf2. Don't know the reason but I imagine its somehow performance related.

4. speed1

speed1 Banned

TechAde, understand.. I already tryed to understand what am i seeing in a real car whithout to moving my head and eye position. The result was that i can't see any mirrors, neither i can see the center nor the left or right mirror. Of course because of the view spectrum of the eyes i can see there is something but without moving the eyes or the head and depending on the car i wouldn't be able to detect anything clear in the mirrors. It was than blurred but in the sim i'm looking on a flat screen which would allow to see and detect clearly what is going on in the mirrors. So basically that is wrong when i'm going by that and i shouldn't see the mirrors in the sim without the need of moving my head or eyes. Thats why i'm allmost confused a bit, and i feel the view i had with the Corvette was quite realistic in therms of the cockpit size, but than there are no mirrors on the screens. When i'm moving the seat to see the mirrors it becomes to small and untealistic anyway.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk

5. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

The cockpit model doesn't render many of the parts you can't see

Williams F2
    View attachment 14231

Unfortunately the mirrors don't show the bits that are there.

6. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

That's why I love my Head Tracking :)

Works with triples too

7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ya, the option set to all ("15"). The only conclusion I can come to is what others are saying - less parts being rendered during cockpit view to save resources.

It looks like this is more complex than just a "render the entire car, or at least every part that should be visible in the mirrors (including the interior, eg. for the cental rear-view mirror) while using cockpit view" option :( .

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2014
  8. speed1

speed1 Banned

Now i understand why people like head tracking. :)

I was surprised how good my perception of things seems to be as i've calcuated my FOV and get a result of 23.1 to 22 i've set by feeling. :)

So it looks like i wasn't that far off, and i refuse to use the fake mirrors. Now there leaves the only way with the seat and that seems quite unrealistic to me. The optimal option was an eye tracker i guess but that doesn't worked well as i've tested last with the PS3 cam and any free software i've forgot the name of. :(

Here the result of mine

View attachment 14232

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2014
  9. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Yeah I need to see driver behind me get smacked in the melon with my muffler.

:cool:

lol

10. Slamfunk3

Slamfunk3 Registered

Cheers KK, that's interesting. I guess the question now is what controls that? Is it in one of the .gen files or (most likely) hard coded in the .exe

@speed1,
    Your seat position is pretty spot on. If anything the 0,0 position is a little too high by default IMO. Side mirrors on GT cars are pretty useless, that's why everyone uses some sort of a rear view camera. The one on the gt2 vette is way high and the corvette guys moved it down to sit right next to steering wheel in 2011 I believe.

11. speed1

speed1 Banned

Thanks for the info Slamfunk3. I tought the same with the seat height, not only that many driver sitting very low i'm also not a basketball player. :)

I could eventually organize a convertible street version to see how it was but in any case it will not be the same. Either I live with the result or drive other sim cars.

12. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

Is this possible yet , has it been updated to view the rear of the car with side mirrors ?

13. RG6871

RG6871 Registered

The car models appear to be there. its just the point where the mirror refracts from is in front of the mirror itself?

View attachment 19809 View attachment 19810 View attachment 19811

"Self In Rearview":"",
    "Self In Rearview#":"Empty for nothing, * for everything, otherwise list comma-delimited instances you want _removed_",

14. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

I find it awkwardly hilarious! :D

15. kevib1

kevib1 Registered

Agree, I love head tracking too, far more cost and space effective than multiple monitors.

16. kevib1

kevib1 Registered

I have raised and added to a few threads on the subject of seeing the car in the mirrors as I think we can't hope to have a realistic simulation without it. However, on every occasion the answer has been that this is simply another thing on the very long wish list. As a developer myself I understand the issues of deadlines and undermanning so I guess I'll have to live with it. However, this is the thing I would like most. I have too many accidents both single player and on the few times I have gone online due to thinking I was clear of the car behind and then my unseen rear end chops that car off.

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I just played around with this but can't get the "view" of the mirror to change, maybe it's an additional CAM that needs changing. I did clip it back (see rearview clip in JSON file) so the mirrors are as normal but when looking behind you see your seat/car...which is more realistic in a way!
    (edit: tested with Civic)

18. RRA-MArk

RRA-MArk Registered

It appears to me that the key combo that USED to change mirror FOV now adjusts the recently added seat yaw feature. I'm sure they will get this sorted at some point.

19. RG6871

RG6871 Registered

What value did you use to achieve this?

20. RG6871

RG6871 Registered

What value did you use to achieve this?