Can't see any car parts in mirrors

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I am trying to adjust my mirrors a certain way and I would like to be able to have the car visible in the mirrors (shouldn't this be a standard in racing games?). In Game Stock Car (ISI engine based) I can see every piece of the car in my mirrors, in fact, even if I press "look behind" I am unable actually see behind my car, I just see the car's headrest (as if the driver turned his head 180 degrees). This is what it's like in real-life and therefore how I'd like it to be in my game as well.

It seems to be set-up correctly according to my player.json file:
    "Self In Cockpit Rearview":15,
    "Self In Cockpit Rearview#":"add values for any that should be visible (0=none): 1=rear wing & wheels, 2=body & susp, 4=cockpit, 8=steering wheel (15=all)",
    (rearview cull is also set to "true")

How do I fix this?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2014
  2. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

I think 'Rearview' is not the view through the mirrors, but the view you get when pressing 'Look behind'-button.

3. Flatspotter

Flatspotter Registered

A lot of cockpits are modeled as just the front and sides of the car, so even if you turn on "self in cockpit rearview," nothing shows because there's nothing there.

4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Yes, but the cockpit doesn't model other cars and the track itself yet I still see them in my mirrors.....There must be a way to simply see, in the mirrors, what is supposed to be there.

5. Flatspotter

Flatspotter Registered

I'm not sure I understand what you mean, but here's what I'm talking about. A lot of cockpit models look like this:

[​IMG]

Since the back of the car is missing, it doesn't show in the rearview mirror, even if you tell the game to show it.

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I'm guessing that is to save graphics processing. There must be a way to tell the mirrors not to go by the limited cockpit model, and just go by the regular model like you see in every other camera (3rd person, TV/trackside, overheard, etc.).

7. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Shame, I'd like to see car parts in mirrors

Looks a tad odd without

8. Coanda

Coanda Registered

me too. a massive realism increase that would be.

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ya, just seems very video game-ish atm. It's obviously possible in the ISI engine.

10. speed1

speed1 Banned

And i was wondering why i can't see my livingroom in the mirrors,........very unrealistic. :)

+1 OP

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk

11. speed1

speed1 Banned

Only for the safety it is understood correctly, I am also for the view to the rear in the mirrors.

Since we have only the front (also in the sense of the equipment), I think to see the car in might help to achieve more depth and it might help to detect the movements of the vehicle body,.....a kind of visual compensation for the lack of real movements.

It might help to obtain a better control of the vehicle.

Also interesting would be to see the tires on open wheeler, even better if the wear of the tread is shown graphically.

I'm not sure but an experiment it would be worth i think. :)

12. tomolart

tomolart Registered

Its possible in the old ISI engine because Reiza have mastered it with GSCextreme... It's just a question of doing it and finetuning it. AFAIK the Clio in rF2 has only a half cockpit when you are in the cockpit camera like others mentioned, so it might be pointless trying to achieve it.

13. speed1

speed1 Banned

That's too bad, I would really like to test it with rf2. To see the dancing tail could be a useful information and boost the total emotion, at least I could imagine.

14. speed1

speed1 Banned

I noticed that I can't see the mirrors with most of the cars and the fov settings I use on three screens, for example with the Corvette. Is this due to the size of the screens or am I doing something wrong ?

The screens are 23.6 " / 16:9 / 3x 1920x1080 / FOV 22 / and it feels very realistic, only the screens do not appear to be sufficiently wide enough to me.

15. Some1

Some1 Registered

You have triple-screen, and still cannot see the mirrors? Hm, you could adjust the seat, I suppose. Also, a screenshot would be nice.

16. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Multiview is checked ?
    How far are your eyes away from the screen center ?
    How high is your resolution set in surround or Eyefinity ?
    For example if the distance between eye and screen is 80 cm and you use multiview and a bezel corrected resolution around 5880 x 1080 the FOV should be around 24. (this is only a approximately value check the maths for a detailed calc.)
    Seat position can also have a effect.
    There are different maths here in the forum available.
    I use most time a FOV between 22 - 26 but it depends from resolution and distance and very strong from the mode and how the cockpit view is designed if it looks natural or not.
    Try to start with for example ISI F3.5 2014. Make your base settings and then try to imagine how it would look IRL and compare it with your cockpit view.
    Very often I use real life videos to determine the seat/head position and then I try to get the same position in terms of height and distance to the windshield.
    For me it is helpfull for checking the distance to the front if I look to the side and compare if the head position is on a similar position as IRL.

17. speed1

speed1 Banned

Some1. the seat settings confusing me a bit and no matter what i set i feel doing something wrong. I tend to fiddle around with it all the time because something feels odd, so i leaved the seat settings at standard and adjusted the FOV until i had the feeling it is the most realistic view, and i really like the result but i can't see the mirrors anymore then. Once i get time i'll take a shot and come back to this, thank you.

alpha-bravo, multiview isn't checked, i'll messure everything possible once i have time for, thank you.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk

18. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

Close your eyes, imagine you are cruising in the real car with the window down, lift your arm up as if it was on top of the door looking 'cool' , reach out to adjust your side mirror......open your eyes :)

do it slowly so you don't accidentally punch your monitor. ;)

19. TechAde

TechAde Registered

Ha, that's pretty much what I was going to suggest...

Picture yourself setting in the real car, point your left arm at where the real left mirror would be, ditto the right arm, and check how they line up with the mirror positions in-sim. Tweak FOV & seat position until it feels right (or better yet, calculate the correct FOV and just adjust the seat position until it looks right). Even when the FOV is correct for your configuration moving the seat forward and backwards can change whether you see all of the mirrors, part of the mirrors or no mirrors at all.

20. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

it would be nice if the other half of the car could be added (be nice to have the option)
    little details like this is very missed whilst using VR