Stock Car Rules List

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Aug 27, 2014.

1. mschreiner

mschreiner Registered

Do we have to site and wait 5 hours for the track to dry before we can continue racing unless it is past halfway of course then it would be considered an official race.

2. ErnieDaOage

ErnieDaOage Registered

Maybe it would be possible to use the singleplayer time acceleration for server admins and the racemarshalls could skip the rain till its dry/raceable again. I don't think its a huge task to implement time acceleration for serveradmins.

3. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

What might be a problem though, I don't know if the tracks dries at all (or at what rate) when not being driven. Or do they have to add trucks with jet engines to dry the track as well :p

4. ErnieDaOage

ErnieDaOage Registered

The track dries because if it would'nt you would only see only a dry driveline and if you set up the time multiplier you gonna see it. just test it with a 10min race and set the 2nd weather square in the weather tap to rain and time scale to x10. it should start to rain around 2mins and dry up to the end of the race. even if you dont race it. And if there would be an option for diffrent values of the timeacceleration you would go back to the pits with safety car and wait a couple of secs till the race goes on. And as i said the weather is already there it should just be handled as a rule. I don't say they have to implement wet weather into oval racing.

5. mastpalermo

mastpalermo Registered

6. saven

saven Registered

I would also like to see if you bump draft with a car for more than 3 laps are so the car starts running hot.

7. ErnieDaOage

ErnieDaOage Registered

this should work already if you use the smallest radiator on some tracks with hot weather the car won't make a 20 mins race :) Or did you try it already than it would be interesting to know if you used ISI cars or a 3rd party car.

8. Termite

Termite Registered

Can't wait for the Nascar cars and tracks to come out.

There are something's I would like to see in this nascar series update

(1) a button/keyboard assigned key to stop pit repairs if you so choose – say you have heavy damage and pace car is in turn 3 you want to stop repairs and come out of pits go around track and pit again to finish repairs so as not to go a lap down.
    (2) Adjust AI so as to have them pit on a caution lap. We have noticed the AI will not pit even if they only have one lap left before they would have to pit. Human drivers almost always pit on a caution lap and if they pit there fuel mileage is a lot better than the AI, and will almost always win the race.
    (3) Can only pass before s/f line on outside or get a penalty

Thanks for a Great Sim

9. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Just for those who missed it, Gjon has said that the new extensive rules might be made into a plugin, instead of a core update.
    Seems like a good move.

10. Carlo

Carlo Registered

Absolutely. Rules as a plugin will be a brilliant/smart move. Updates and changes without having to update the core.

11. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

I don't really understand it?

Is it because core updates would be more extensive and have knock on effects through the sim, meaning unrelated stuff may need changing.

Or

Does it mean as a plug in anyone could create a rule set and rf2 would reflect that?

Or neither? Lol

12. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Not sure. I guess mostly the first? Maybe Gjon will pop in here and elaborate a bit more.

13. Armando

Armando Registered

I think it's mostly the second answer.
    Rules in different series get changed very often. It's faster to update a plugin or create a new one than changing the sim code and releasing a new build.

14. ErnieDaOage

ErnieDaOage Registered

Would also be a great solution for league admins, because they could implement their own league rule set with such a plugin.

15. mschreiner

mschreiner Registered

Plugin is being developed to make it easier to update in the future compared to putting it into the EXE itself. Some exciting stuff!

16. elbo

elbo Registered

The one rule I'd like to see implemented is the cars have a standard stick shift transmission, ergo I'd like a working clutch

17. Rfn Owner

Rfn Owner Registered

I would like to see some more settings and options along the lines of short track racing. Most of the stock car rules and conversations about them are tailored towards NASCAR style stock car racing. There is a large amount of people in the community that primarily only run short track stock car racing and have no interest in NASCAR. Both dirt and asphalt short track racing can have rules very different than NASCAR. As much as NASCAR is looked at as the top tier in stock car racing, short track racing is the heart and soul of stock car racing and it is where stock car racing began. In the rfactor community, with as little stock car rule support as it has, and with most of that already limited rule support being mainly tailored towards NASCAR the short track racing groups have to completely organize everything themselves by running without flag rules and having atleast one or more admins sit as a spectator and watch while calling out cautions verbally on TeamSpeak and telling drivers which positions to be in and clearing game penalties. Some short track groups while doing all of this to organize races and force as realistic as possible rules in a sim that doesn't have much rule support for it still manage to bring in numbers of people far larger than NASCAR style stock car groups. Some groups such as Dirt Late Model Sim (DLM) and United Dirt Sim Racing Association (UDSRA) Have as many as 40 to 60+ people show up to try and qualify into any giving race and in big special event races attract anywhere from 60 to 200+ people. This large number of people is so vast it requires multiple days of qualifying races in order to determine who actually gets to race the main feature event. Here some things I'd like to see in rFactor2:

Some things are not so much rules as a little more like features for the sim.

AI and pace car behavior on non-conventional tracks.
    At some tracks no matter how much work goes into the AIW file the pace car and/or AI cars act awkwardly at tracks with certain layouts. One example is a 1/4 mile short track with a pit road outside of the track where there are grandstands that the pit road loops around behind and the pit stalls are further than an 1/8 mile away from the track the pace car does not understand that the pit road is so long and the pit spot are so far from the entrance of the pits and the track that the pace car stops on track or in the middle of the pits.

Support for "driving aide" rules:
    Some series in real life such as some divisions of 4 cylinder cars mandate that the components of the car remain stock, including the transmission. Current rules only allow the driving aide to be not allowed or to allow drivers to use it while others can choose not to use it. Can rules be made to allow the locking of a driving aide such as automatic transmission in the mod itself so drivers can not use a manual transmission at all with that car in the mod?

Pit road speed limit functionality increased.
    I'd like to see more support for allowing an easier way to adjust a variable for how far over or how long a car is allowed to stay over the pit road speed before being penalized. Also a better working system for telling the game which penalties to assign for speeding as some tracks/series do different penalties like drive through, stop and go, or even in some areas being parked for the race.

Multiple race support.
    Support for multiple race sessions to be run in succession with the track surface maintaining the same amount of rubber on the surface and cars maintaining the same amount of damage from one session to the next. Some races are split into multiple segments in which pit stops occur between complete races and each "segment" is actually a new race. Any suspension damage or any other damage that's not completely repairable remains between races and each race has its own seprate timing and scoring to allow each race can be counted for points for a championship or for a special event such as NASCAR's All Star Race. Also this could be handyy for qualifying races in which drivers race for starting position and have a short amount of time to work on their car before their next race.

Support for Surface changes due to crashes.
    Have a random chance for a slick spot to be produced on the track where a wreck recently happened to simulate liquid being dropped on the track that was cleaned up with speedy dry (the sand like substance track worker pour on the track to absorb the liquid) and have the slick spot transition back as laps are run on that part of the track. Have the random chance made more probable as the severity of the crash increases. Also a random increase in the chance of a tire failure in the area of a track where a wreck was that slightly increase more with the increase in severity of the wreck, as in real life track crews are never able to get every single piece of debris cleaned up.

Support for 2 separate black flags.
    The current black flag is used both when you are disqualified and when you have a penalty, Could a black flag with an orange stripe be included so there are 2 black flags that can differentiate between disqualified and penalty. Also allow for a new form of penalty so if an admin assigns a penalty or the game assigns a penalty there may be a black flag with a go to pits penalty and not allow the driver back on track once they pull in their pit stall so they may just be parked instead of disqualified.

Keep current rfm files rules for penalties on passing on restarts.
    Keep the current start rules exactly the way they are so it can be chosen whether to not allow passing at all before the start/finish line, or passing only to the right, or passing anywhere. I've seen alot of comments here that most people want to see the passing to the outside rule, yes that works for NASCAR style stock car racing, but in some areas in the short track stock car scene once the leader starts and the green flag waves the race is on. Also along with this I would like to see a feature where the green flag can be displayed at anytime within a certain predetermined area (restart box) where the leader can start accelerating to start the race anywhere in that area and if the leader doesn't go by the end of the box the flag get waved there.

Allow races to not count caution laps.
    When setting a race to not count caution laps currently the caution laps still count, but the race length gets larger for each caution lap. Can a feature be provided for a race to not count caution laps at all? So if the caution comes out with 5 laps complete the game stays at 5 laps complete until the race goes green again so the total race laps don't have to increase.

Cautions for debris.
    Say a car hits the wall and loses a tire or a fender falls off, can a feature be allowed for a caution to come out and the debris before removed so other drivers do not have to keep driving around hitting said piece of debris until it finally disappears?

Support for proper line up of cars under a caution.
    In short track racing different type of line ups are used. Double file, Single file, and Deleware Double file. There are 2 sperarate forms of double file, the leader chooses a lane or the other where the leader is on the inside like at the beginning of the race. Single file is self explanatory. Deleware double file is common on dirt, where the leader starts on the first row by himself and 2nd place is on the inside of row #2 and 3rd place is the outside of row #2. Along with support for these starts have a feature that can allow the game to switch the start format to single file after a predetermined amount of cautions as in real life series will switch to single file to try and force a cleaner start if too many cautions are being caused. Also with these starts can lap down cars be forced to start behind the lead lap cars?

18. Fabio Pittol

Fabio Pittol Registered

Nice set of information, Rfn Owner.

I guess for starters, ISI is aiming at the mainstream stock car racing rules (aka NASCAR) for logical marketing reasons, but aparently during this process they became aware of the huge need of rules customization, not only for oval racing, so they're implementing a way for us to write plugins to customize some os thoses aspects of the sim. At least that's what I got from a bunch of posts around here.

19. doug484

doug484 Registered

I enjoy Nascar but I'd love to have the customization to create other series. I'd love to see some Supermodified action on a 3/8!
    View attachment 15144

20. RCRacing

RCRacing Registered

How are we doing on the Stockcars Tim? February is coming and would be nice to have something by Speedweeks in Daytona.