You'd have thought...........

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MystaMagoo, Aug 26, 2014.

1. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

That using a rear wing of 3 as opposed to 9 in the Megane would allow it to go faster?
    At least I thought it would but it's not the case.
    Top speed is still 152/3mph.

I think the lower wing allows it to get to 152mph faster but of course it is a lot less stable in the corners.
    Which in turn tells me the speed is limited by the gearing but I still thought it would go faster with rear wing of 3 rather than 9......

2. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Maybe it simply can't push it any faster.

Get in tow, it should redline higher then.

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Depends on the aero setup, and the overall setup altering that. You might have the rear of the car lower and be negating the effects of the spoiler anyway. Pick a reason. :) Without seeing the setup, etc, impossible to say.

4. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Also, keep in mind that the Megane wing, has not such an impact as a F1 wing for instance. I don't know, maybe you drove that often lately.

5. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

This is just a top speed test.
    All I altered was the wing nothing else.

Top Speed remains the same but stability is affected.
    I'm not sure if it affects acceleration?

I'm testing at Brianza66,plenty of time to redline it.

6. speed1

speed1 Banned

Test it downhill and you will see if it's limited by the transmission or torque limit on the straight. As it seems the max downforce with max wing doesn't decrease the top speed but when it doesn't increase with low wing, something is at it's limit.

N8 ;)

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2014
  7. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

Gear ratios cannot be altered in the Megane :(

8. smithaz

smithaz Registered

I hear what your saying Magoo, I've noticed this effect myself in the past. None of the explanations offered actually explain whats going wrong here either.

9. Minibull

Minibull Member

...except that they do. If the car has topped out at max rpm in it's highest gear, it cannot go any faster. It just can't, short of extending the ratios or upping the rev limit, neither of which you can do with the Megane.

I have just tried it at the Ring, running backwards down the straight. With max wing, it will hit it's top speed (around 245-6 kph), but it does it slowly, and will only slowly bounce off the limiter. When I dropped the wing to minimum, it got to the max speed a lot quicker and really bounced off the limiter fast. It would go faster if it had longer gearing or more revs.

10. speed1

speed1 Banned

Now what we would do if this were the real facts or circumstances, what advantage we would try to win in the reality, without to change the gear ratio ? The handicap is low cost and the goal is not to increase the speed limit but to exploit the conditions.

11. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Do some of your own research on the subject first. You and the OP are expecting an answer written in one sentance, that won't happen. :)

12. smithaz

smithaz Registered

Aha I haven't actually been on the game in a while, I was going on the assumption that the Megane never hits the limiter in 6th, so I was reading replies thinking wtf! But obviously, if it hits the limiter then your not going to go any faster.
    One tip, if your racing at Monza use P7 over P6, P7 is slower over 1 lap but much faster later in the stint.

13. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

I actually answered the question myself in the 1st post,spec savers ;)

14. speed1

speed1 Banned

You have put your answer in question and the confirmation you get several times that your assumption was rudimentary correct, but yes basiclly you answered your question yourself. :)

15. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

It just made me think about 'setups' all the more and to a certain degree how I'd wrongly been setting the Megane.
    Made me also wonder about other tintop setups and the affect wing can have on them.

16. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

The wing is for stability in cornering and in traffic, having less wing doesn't promise more speed, just less stability. You can't go faster than the base aero of body, the output of engine and drag of parts.

You win a time trial by what you do with car in the corners. Dragsters are another topic.