Is RF2 loosing to AC the modders?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lgel, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Sounds like a load of rubbish to me.

I downloaded 5 or 6 kart tracks. They are fine. I had no issues driving them, had some great (but unfortunately brief) online times with them. Each with their own layout characters and unique set of challenges. I don't know what is so terrible about them....Maybe you mean just in terms of graphics rather than actual gameplay (driving/racing); if so, then you should specify that, because other than "bling", there is nothing, absolutely nothing terrible about those other kart tracks.

With regards to the one ISI kart track (it's technically 4 actually - layouts) well maybe you spent 2 or 3 months only playing one sim (rF2), using only 1 car (1 of the karts) on only 1 track/layout, if not, then how are you tired of that 1 track and 4 configs? Have you mastered them 4 in a way noone has? I can drive every track "in my sleep" too, most people can; you need to have every little bump, every turn-in point, every type of curb, etc. absolutely memorized and burnt into your brain, that's how racing works. Then you have to explore new ways of attacking the track with your car, or through setup, or even through strategy, in order to gain half a tenth there, half a tenth here, etc. Not to mention different opponents, different conditions (including weather and surface condition). Every race is a new experience. The karts were packed online just for the first week or 2, im longing to drive on them, even if it's just one layout of 1 track. Unless you've done 15,000 offline races in them then I just don't understand statements like that.

Same with the ISI content as well. What is just so low quality about "a lot" of them? I have a great time driving all of them.

Historics are fantastic PERIOD. Only a few tracks "worth" using for them?? I don't know what game you have installed, brotha, but just about any track, with the exception of the relatively tiny kart tracks, are worth racing on.

Even the ISI historic tracks need MASSIVE updates? Are you kidding me? I just had some of the best sim-racing experiences of my life, in any sim, at classic ISI Monza and Spa, in the classic F3s and F2s. Getting the Lesmos just right while not scrubbing any more speed than neccessary combined with the physics of rF2 is an immense pleasure and extraordinarily engaging. Trying to get braking and entry just right for the final Monza corner, and daring to push it lap after lap, but without compromising your corner exit, is exhilarating. Now add online competitors, triple screens, 3D, a low and realistic V.FOV, real road, rF2's FFB, "REAL" and dynamic clouds and weather, etc. etc. and I literally felt transported to Monza (1966).

Sorry, but other than your oval track points, your post oozes trolling, and I know you're not a troll dude. Seriously, unless your idea of "quality simracing" and amazing gameplay/driving experiences means a graphics competition, then 90% of the comments in your last post are ridiculous and utter garbage.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2014
  2. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Modding limitations.

I hope you'll excuse me of talking of modding in this thread, I ask if someone knows if the limitations put forward by the Enduracers Modding Team are still present in current versions of RF2 (about shared textures if my memory doesn't fail).
    They said that this limitation made difficult an RF2 version of Endurance Series mod.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2014
  3. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

It's just an ridiculously high standard, and seemingly a lack of ability to just enjoy some really great quality content.
    It ain't as bad as you make it out to be...

Don't know if there's a saying for this in English, but in Danish we call it "at male fanden på væggen" - "to paint the Devil on the wall".

Apparently there's somewhat of a lack of willingness on your part to stay updated, downloading the latest versions of 3rd party tracks and cars?
    And then this sense of "knowing what's best". But well, who cares. Just one subjective point of view.

You have said previously that very few of the rF2 cars appeal to you. So I guess the lashing stems from you really not being able to enjoy what so many others can.

4. FrancoisB

FrancoisB Registered

5. Minibull

Minibull Member

6. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Latest new toy everyone wants to try, and quite a few servers instantly running the new toys, crowded servers attract more drivers and then you got a few weeks of increased activity.
    I bet there are quite a few people around whom return to rf2 just to see what's up with the latest toy/changes and fade away again when things have settled. (prolly the same in AC no doubt)

Same here, I don't have a shortlist of must-haves, for me its the sim itself that brings out the good stuff regardless of what is used (and of course which direction our leagues decides on)so any new release or update is just a present.
    There's more then enough unless someone wants to drive something else every other day.

7. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

How many tracks do you need? Below are tracks I'm driving and this is only a small subset of what's available. Multiply this by several amazing cars, serious testing, practicing and racing and just this will easily fill the rest of my sim racing career.

Tres Millas
    Toban
    Neva Ring
    Poznan
    Croft
    Hockenheim Short 2
    Monaco
    Thruxton
    Malaysia North
    Loch Drummond
    Lienz
    Las Vegas
    Adelaide
    Newerburg Sprint
    Interlagos
    Brno
    Silverstone International
    Philip Island
    Mills
    Topeka
    Pocoyo Park
    Black Hole Ring
    Indy 2013 RC
    Modern Spa
    COTA
    Bahrain

8. Hoogs

Hoogs Registered

The reality is there are many great options for SIM racers these days. I enjoy them all. AC, iRacing, GSC, and rF2 are all excellent Sims and ALL STILL IN DEVELOPMENT. This is the future of Sims guys. Seemingly never-ending development. Rf2 isn't going anywhere. Time will tell

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

9. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

My fellow collegue just realised he got his two tracks converted after 3 months hiatus.

10. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

The quality of those varies immensely. Everything should be compared to ISI Silverstone and Loch Drummond, but even comparing a lot of those to Lime Rock and Palm Beach, they are sub-par. Most are functional but they offer nothing in advantage over the original rFactor/F1 Challenge creation. There is a lack of track variety that keeps me from playing the game. There are a number of tracks that do suit the small, not powerful cars (like Clio, those are well served as they can be raced everywhere) but it gets a bit tricky for bigger GTs. Open wheelers and go karts suffer quite a lot as you barely have anything to run on. Historic cars only have 3 proper tracks. It just isn't fun when you must pick from a pool of perhaps 3 tracks.

11. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

Oh, the good ol "it's about the graphics" one, always love it. We'll come back to that. Here's the difference, I'm in 2014 and I have standards.

The funny thing is, people act as if you need a billion laps to do anything competently. You saw it earlier in this thread with the one guy claiming how "it should be impossible to jump in and hotlap" because that isn't "sim like" or whatever. It's flat out stupid nonsensical logic. I need to have done 15000 offline races with the Karts to have them figured out as well as I'm going to? You must be a slow learner, because it doesn't take me near that to hit my wall. Maybe it's because I don't take the "I'll turn millions of laps because unlimited track time" approach.

On that note - I happened to run across someone's league results from here, and in practice it showed someone turning 1500 km of laps for one league race. (quite hilariously, he was only .5 of a second faster than me.... while I turned maybe 30 laps, and I'd say he's probably a better driver) Yet here we are, hailing dynamic conditions and realism - and removing all the realism from it. No one gets that much practice, and I shouldn't force myself to practice that. You don't get anywhere near that amount of practice in the real world even if you do a dedicated test, it's just not feasible and you know it just as well as anyone, right? But by wanting more quality content, I'm not using it all?

That's my mindset, that's my approach, and it keeps me adaptable, it forces me to learn and adapt quickly. I go from sim to sim from car to car and jump all over the place. Monday I raced the iRacing DW12 at Milwaukee, Saturday I turned about 100 laps at Mid Ohio with the GT cars here, then went to GSCE where I did about 40 laps in the Formula Extreme, then straight to about the same amount in the Formula Vee and after this post I'll probably go run some more with the 370Z GT4. It's adaptability, and it's something that I pride myself on. Maybe it takes you a long time to hit your wall, or maybe you are content turning thousands of laps in search of that one that goes just right, myself, I prefer to have a realistic approach to it. Some are fast learners, some aren't. Some plug n chug, others don't. I know what I need to know about the Kart tracks, there is nothing more to surprise me outside of "at this temp with this dampness but that amount of rubber you can do this thing!" that took you 3000 laps to figure out - but nets you a tenth. I don't need that, I don't care for that. I want the actual racing.

Are graphics the end all be all? Certainly not, however they should also be immersive, something I wouldn't even consider saying about anything from ISI before LRP. With colors so garish, it stands out as a video game (and I'm normally someone who likes color, because the world is colorful). When skies that are real and dynamic have no detail in them because of an HDR system that leaves a lot to be desired, it's not a good thing. When tracks lack detail that can actually be very important, it's not a good thing - pavement coloring, pavement marks, pavement transitions, detailed rumble strips, damaged paint, brake markers, on and on. When I see cars like the Howstons and the absurdly silly gauge textures that would never be used in a race car, I get reminded I'm playing a game. When I see tracks with horrid layout accuracy, I walk away (Mid Ohio VLM was great when it was fresh, but we are now in the age of laser scanning and it is no longer even close to being accurate enough for my tastes because I've driven better - I've maybe done 50 laps at VLM Sebring in the last two years or so because it's so inaccurate - both of those are "gold standard" tracks in the community). When I do a night race and car's headlights pop in and pop out for no reason, when I get this nonsensical glare on my windscreen in a car where there is no rear window, when I get trees and textures turning purple because of that lovely HDR - I get reminded I'm playing a game. When I get rain that in no way resembles rain at all, I get reminded I'm playing a game. So many features are basically broken, night racing in a GT car makes zero sense right now for example.

Many of those aren't track or car issues, some of them are however. All of them serve as a reminder to me as to why rF2 has gone the way it's gone, but sadly the community here won't see how many issues this game has that are as close to gamebreaking as they could be - because let's wank to physics! Which mind you... I was told the DW12 was so amazingly accurate by so many community members who disagreed with me, and then Tim said they had a lack of data. I was told all of these cars are so very realistic, but then they get updated and changed. I once remember a time where the ISI supporting community loved to "PapyBash" because Papyrus sims were "overly difficult, it's not that hard", and now here the shoe is on the other side. Yes, the dynamics of the world are very impressive in rF2, but is it enough for me to happily cheerily forget all the negatives?

I'll admit it, I have very high quality standards, though I try most everything I can get my hands on out. My current install (which I did fresh for 798 and installed only the content that meets my expectations) has 10 tracks, from modders and ISI. Lot of content? It's the same thing - this community (as evidenced in this thread) LOVES to bash AC for having conversionfest 2014 going on, but 95% of the circuits here in rF2 are the exact same thing! Some guy above posted "Modern Spa" on his shortlist, that circuit is so inaccurate and poorly converted it's useless to me. Not a chance in hell that would find itself in my install for more than 5 laps, because I don't need it!

Sometimes you get a car like the Spec Miata that looks like trash, but provides a very good driving and racing experience. Despite the silly and unimmersive cockpit, I'd easily say that Howstons at Longford are one of the best combos on offer here - fantastic driving, fantastically detailed circuit, it feels real. Despite Mid Ohio VLM being about as accurate as a fresh recruit sniper who's never held a gun, I dealt with it. Did I want to? I'm not saying everything needs to be laser scanned or anything, but times have changed. My quality benchmarks have as well, and AC is going to have to deal with that as well, just the same.

rF2 does not exist in a vacuum.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2014
  12. bwana

bwana Registered

Well that's 10 minutes of my life I will never get back.

13. Miro

Miro Registered

Seriously now, are you moral lads kidding here? It is absolutely OK to come up every second day here with a thread about how much better any sim is in anything than rf2 but it is not OK in an rF2 forum to say why one prefers rF2 over other sims or what one does not like on other sims?
    All of sudden this is bashing and silly whilst juming in here to pray the crap out of rF2 is what is considered as open minded and "cool" right now in the sim comunity? BS!
    What a moral prayer joke.

Regarding accuracy and 2014 standards. I'd rather drive accurate cars with an as possible accurate tire model in 2014 with usefull FFB on so called inaccurate tracks than some odd behaving vehicles with totaly useless FFB on for the most part aswell outdated "accurate" tracks. With that said, have fun turning laps on iRacing.

14. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Can't argue about it, we all have different likes & dislikes

A friend of mine dosnt care about anything ( ffb / buttkickers / 3d VR / nice graphics ) except very real & fierce online competition within a series with a undistbutable points system etc so iracing is the only sim where he's happy .....& he'd be racing it just the same even if it was monotone vector graphics. Iracing are aparently developing & working on something "big" at the moment.

There is a point raised & that is the standard is rising & fairly quickly -been fiddling with gsc2013extreme & it's a darn decent well rounded & polished package with consistancy throughout & more updates in pipeline it took me by surprise
    (I purchased it as the rezea devs posted they've orderd a rift dk2 & will have compatibility etc as soon as)

I'm surprised that AC has attracted so many modders so quickly -although it's not a title I really like I'm starting to think it could really improve & that could change.

15. yusupov

yusupov Registered

no one is bashing rf2. it does get a bit sickening reading posts from supporters who act as if they are breathing rarefied air. explicitly pointing out where they're being hypocritical isn't 'bashing'. i really dont know why rf2 attracts such a degree of insanely defensive fanboys but its frustrating to see some of the snobbery here. no, im not going to spend 6 straight hours driving one car on one track in front of my computer. or in real life. understand that other people have different values & different standards instead of thinking youre going to win anyone over to your side by tyranny of will.

16. Miro

Miro Registered

What are you talking about man? Have you ever been in other sim forums. Don't let me quote here what real bashing is.
    rF2 is been talked literally dead in the iRacing fourms and the AC crowd ain't any better there if there is something to say about AC physics or what ever.

You lads just see what you want to see and ignore stuff you choose to ignore. Fact.
    People have different opinions and it is LEGIT and not wrong at all. You want to mute them by calling them fanboys whilst at the same time behaving not different and expecting them to see things just as you do otherwise as said, they are bashing and fanboys or what not.
    Please.....

17. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

Which is why the iRacing forums have 3 threads on AC, because the first two got so huge with discussion they needed to be closed to prevent thread corruption? It's still going strong, and it's quite positive really, certainly more positive than when someone mentions any other sim here.

There is an rF2 thread over there as well, something like 50 pages. Ruh roh, hell hath frozen over. I don't see anyone going out of their way to slag other sims on the AC forums nearly as much either.

Define "accuracy", because none of them are. Funnily enough, I even said I was going to play rF2 (which I just did), but you had to go bring up iRacing.... Hmmm.

18. Miro

Miro Registered

3 threads on AC, so what? There are just as much negative posts about ac in those threads as here. Go figure, read.
    You've cerntainly contributed your part on rF2 and ISI over there so playing mr. objective here and selling this stuff works for some but not for all heyaaaaa hoooo cowboy.

Slag? What slag on other sims. Have you seen one rF2 thread over there? Go post every second day one and tell them how much better rF2 is on several aspects and you'll certainly come to the point where they tell you what they prefer and why.

Accuracy = not iRacing

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2014
  19. peterchen

peterchen Registered

I´ve thought a lot about this whole thread.
    Seems as we get no answer to the topic.
    Just another comparison, to noone find the right words.
    All pointless.
    Please close.

20. Domi

Domi Registered

I wish we had here the amount of self-criticism with rF2 that we can see in the iR forums with iRacing. The biggest bashing there and by far is against their own product. Here as soon as someone points out some issues (like Matt did few messages ago) people starts to throw rocks at that person, no matter if what's said is true or not. It's like if people takes it on a personal level, crazy...