Is RF2 loosing to AC the modders?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lgel, Aug 15, 2014.

1. rfactor 2 is not hard, it just takes time to set up and warm the tyres up, plus getting the track surface right means you have to spend more time in practice sessions and so on.

If you can just jump in a car and do a flying lap out of the box, then what's that simulating ? nothing!.... click and go is no fun. :)

2. TiTaN

TiTaN Registered

I can do that in rFactor 2. I can do that in real life(as a matter of fact I run in estoril in portugal) . just because the tires are cold does not mean instant spin (oh but that happens in rFActor 2 = hardcore). AC has green track that will change after couple laps, like in rFActor 2, it has tires that heat too, like in rFactor 2. I don't see your point there.

to stay on topic: I tried the camaro the same rFactor 2 has. feels the same. spins out if you steer too hard or throttle. the point is both has physics it's weird to say AC don't simulate nothing.
    I did enjoy a lot rFactor 2 but it lacks of content. Some modders did put an amazing effort on those amazing tracks like we now poznan, croft, etc. but that's it. rFactor 2 means F1 mods, online it's all about f1, no mixed classes, it has a restricted audience, most in america.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2014
  3. I tried AC a couple of weeks a go to test a friends track, at first test it felt too easy and controlled from out of the pits, I did some laps and that was that.
    Uninstalled and went back to rf2.

I find it takes me a couple of laps in rf2 to get comfortable before I can put in a flying lap.

If you race in real life then you must know that any vehicle is like a living thing and likes to be warmed up and you then build up to a flying lap.
    I bet you don't jump in your car a rev the nuts of it from start up and go on a flying lap.

The only sport that can do that are the likes of F1 series, who drip feed the cars and pre warm the tyres before use.
    ;)

4. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

So why did my server have 30 European drivers in for my BTCC series at Silverstone last night?

As a series admin, I genuinely have no issue with the amount of content here on rFactor 2 at the moment, there is enough for us to be running two series a long side each other, actually.

I guess while technically true, to say they are like each other is somewhat of a stretch. Though, in fairness it's their first iteration of their dynamic surface model and ISI have had a rather large headstart on it. But to say they are like each other..... not really at this stage. Maybe later in development.

5. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Sure, AC does simulate a lot of things. But concidering how dead it feels, there's still such a long way to go.

To the next point.

http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/tracks/

http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/cars/

Yeah, right... rF2 lacks content. :rolleyes:

My content folder is nearing 23 GB, ISI and 3rd party content.
    And I am very, very picky with what I install and keep.

People just want more and more and more, it's ridiculous.

ISI releases a new car. "WOW, BANG, WHOOSH it's amazing, the only car I'll ever drive"
    Two days later, people have already forgotten about it.
    "PLEASE RELEEZE MOAR CARZ!!!"
    Lack of content, please...

How about diving deep into the cars we already have?
    How about someone for once decides to try and master one or two of the cars, instead of just restlessly jumping from car to car, even demanding more?

Just one car, one single car in rF2, I feel, would take years to fully master.
    I feel like I'm drowning in content actually. I'm sometimes a bit stressed out because I don't have the time to try all the cars at this point in time.
    I've spent a lot of time in the FR3.5's, the F2's, the old C6R, the Megane and the GTR. I've been at it for a year, and there's still so much more for me to dive into I feel.

The four new updates will give me months and months of racing enjoyment.
    I love new content of course. But I also don't feel the need to act like a spoiled child (not directed at anyone specifically).

6. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Because Silverstone?
    We've found that interest in our server/league increases bigtime as soon as we run a modern track. other events? not so much :)

7. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Well we only run modern (I take it by modern you mean non-historical, like spa?) circuits so I hope it continues :)

8. Minibull

Minibull Member

No, the Cobra sucks as the rear seems to have metal tyres when you go above 150 odd kph. That in any sim is terrible IMO. When they say certain cars generate lift at speed, they don't mean as if bloody flying wings have been strapped to the tail.

A sim doesn't mean hard. If you have trouble driving any of the new GT cars or the 2014 Renault 3.5, there is something wrong with your technique, or the way you are approaching your racing.

9. TiTaN

TiTaN Registered

what are you talking about? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APphQtJY_Q8&hd=1 and the car is 0.5 now all those things fixed. that video is version 0.2 so the camaro I updated in rFActor 2 have metal tyres because I brake a little in lime rock and the car spins out instantly. it's terrible in a sim that a car with those large tires and spins out so easy at 60km/h

10. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I got onboard the AC Cobra hype too, but quickly turned away from it again.
    Even the 0.5 update has so many physics flaws that it's still not a very enjoyable experience.

Don't know how you drive the Camaro, but I don't get any of that behavior when at low speed.
    It's way more planted than before, much more mechanical grip it seems.
    Maybe adjust the brake pressure a bit. Or your braking technique ;)

11. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Obvious troll is obvious. You're trying too hard.

12. Minibull

Minibull Member

Post a video with telemetry of your troubles in RF2, I would love to see what you are doing with the car. :)

13. TiTaN

TiTaN Registered

oh that argument. congrats

14. crz

crz Registered

This, I never understood how people manage to do that.

On another note, this is turning into another "my sim is better than your sim" argument. Get's old doesn't it?

15. Minibull

Minibull Member

Yeah...ok :confused:

16. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Yeah, and then the modern F1 tracks more then anything. i'm actually considering proposing our league starts to use these tracks more because the differences are quite large and more then anything we need to build a healthy userbase again.
    Once they are in we can slowly seduce them to start using other stuff :)

17. Domi

Domi Registered

Indeed. The original topic is interesting in my opinion, but it seems that some guys need constantly to say how much better is their prefered sim compared to the rest, it becomes so boring...

18. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Hello DurgeDriven,

Please can you tell us what other thread title I invented to flame RF2?

Loosing what? Modders.

The question was simple, you could answer yes, no, or everything in between, and if you were able and interested, sustain your opinion by facts.

They have been many interesting and educated replies to this thread.

I let people assess if yours was.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2014
  19. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

True Dat bro. Look at how exited everyone was when the Karts where released. track makers jumping on board as well, a proper hype.
    These days it seems it doesn't even exist as people either gone back to what they did before or moved on to the new hype.

We are struggling as a league and trying anything to get healthy again. Going for the hype is one way to ensure we have full grids but at the same time we know those people joining in at such times will never come back again so there's no point really.

This is much the same on any platform, in iracing you gotta keep up with the latest models as old ones get abandoned rapidly when something new gets released 'forcing' people to keep buying.
    It was the same in rf1, everyone jumping ship, leagues shifting focus instantly, and it seems the same in rf2 so why not AC?

20. crz

crz Registered

Isn't that how we are raised today? I see this in many parts of life, enjoying a new toy or whatever because it is new and not because of the thing itself. Buy or bored