Is RF2 loosing to AC the modders?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lgel, Aug 15, 2014.

1. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

How are the guys at ISI cocky? Imo, they are quite humble considering the amazing product they're developing.

Pretty silly coming on here claiming that rF2 users are closed minded.
    Aren't you just as close minded, the way you're yapping on about AC?
    No need to answer, since that was a retorical question...

AC has a long, long way to go before it's even close to being properly enjoyable, let alone truly immersive.
    Not denying, I am racing AC a lot these days, especially after the latest updates.
    Not denying, I was "blitzed" a bit by pretty graphics and the extreme self-esteem of Kunos.
    But it just gets so extremely stale after a while. Not a lot of depth.

Tires feel "dead", the suspension is "wonky" (don't know the technical term lol) and their attempt at "Real Road" is so far not very interesting nor immersive.
    AC has a lot longer to go than rF2 at this point, imo.

We obsess about tyre deformation and weather because it's something ISI have gotten right with this sim, as opposed to the other current sims.
    Proper tyre deformation and proper weather simulation... That's immersion. Not fancy lighting or post fx. Not to me anyway. But we all have different views on that.

In absolutely no way is rF2 losing anything, quite the contrary.
    3rd party content is speeding up, mods are getting better and better all the time.
    I don't want a gazillion new mods every week. I'm fine with a few mods every couple of months. Especially when the quality is so high like it is now.
    The ISI content we have now is top of the line, with a lot more to come in the next period of time.

All AC has at this point, 3rd party stuff that is, are a lot of awful converted tracks and a few decent cars.
    Kunos' AC content is great of course, but again... A certain shallowness to the physics and force feedback just doesn't make for a very good show in the long run, I've come to find.

You do have some really good points.
    And no, your standards aren't too high.

I think, maybe, your observations about the most fanatical AC users could be very true indeed.
    The times I've gone online in AC, I've come to find that the driving standard is so much lower than in rF2 MP.
    I expect to get rammed in AC MP. I don't expect that in rF2 MP...

A lot of AC users (not saying all AC users) are just from a different crowd with different priorities.
    Peace be with them, I'm not one to judge. This is just from what I have observed.

2. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

I thought both of you guys were smarter than that to fall for it. Why bother with the wear and tear on your keyboard/phone?

3. saxoross

saxoross Registered

Everybody has there opinion on what's better but to stay on topic, AC has way more mods coming out than rF2 and there's no denying it.

It's a shame as I prefer rF2.

4. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

On topic, it does have a higher quantity of mods coming. The quality of those mods, though...... I wouldn't thank people for them here, either. I'd prefer quality over quantity in any sim.

EDIT: I do have to say I really enjoyed the early version of the shelby I drove a few weeks back.

5. Minibull

Minibull Member

That Cobra...I was banging my head reading what was being written about it. "Best mod car EVER". That kind of thing.

The model? Stunning. Looks bloody beautiful and is great to look at. I found it very hard to fault there. 3 versions too, great.

The driving? Small kink on the Imola straight. The car would fly off the track from the rear having no grip at all at Mid to high speed. To me, it felt like the grip from the ISI F1 cars when using DRS. Super loose if you put just a tad of input into the wheel. So that didn't really rock my socks off, especially when driving PnG 3 and the 289 in GTL for comparison.

Also, plant the throttle and drop the clutch in first gear, and it drives forwards with seemingly a big amount of grip. I would expect a 427 with vintage tyres to have at least a small struggle in finding drive XD

The only other mod I tried was the URD Corvette. Found it to be a lot quicker than the RF2 version, area of 3-4 seconds a lap at Silverstone International. That was the old version though, I think a new one is out.

I'll continue driving the stock content, but I'll be waiting for a super decent car mod to surface. Good things take time.

6. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Yeah, it's all loose now. Two tracks and the ported Corvette. What else? All the junk? No thanks.

7. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it very recently that the AC community was given a lot of new modding tools?
    Isn't that the reason that the AC modding scene seems to go berserk right now?

Very few modders over at AC have actually put those tools to any kind of good use.
    A steady stream of garbage is flowing out, sadly.
    I've lost count of the "1.0" tracks that I spend time downloading, then doing half a lap and deleted in a hurry.

8. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

Dont feed the troll

9. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

Ive seen a lot of bad conversions......mostly ripped from rf1 content.
    Thats not modding and so this thread title should be changed.

Of course there are good modders working with AC as base platform, but theres also in rf2.

10. yusupov

yusupov Registered

as far as i know theres evidence of one 'defection' & thats pleclair w/ the nordschliefe. from what ive read the historix & enduracers teams are still deciding a platform.

i don't believe any non-fantasy scratch tracks are close to 1.0; there are a couple good fantasy ones & a handful of good conversions, as well as a few excellent cars already though.

i've heard from a couple guys (the historix team & the guy who does physics for AC's formula 1 mod) that rf2's physics are preferred by them. the historix guy said he felt AC was the better showcase.

11. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

There are a lot of track conversions made by that Tiago Lima, yes. There are plenty of scratch made content that is being worked on for AC that is looking like it's on the right path - and remember that most of them are builds .1-.5, so comparing with finished products or mods is really not appropriate.

Castle Hill (which is properly complete and released), Donington Park, Montréal, Red Bull Ring (not the GP4-rF conversion), Croft, Zolder, Melbourne Park, even Monaco. On cars there's the Cobra, Koenniggsegggggg One, Lamborghini Gallardo Balboni, Lamborghini Veneno, that United Sportscar (Tudor?), and the 2014 F1 and GP2 mods being developed. This is just to list the scratch stuff I saw when I browsed the forums recently.

12. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Sad thing if modders choose the better showcase instead of the technical better platform...
    That only shows that modders are more aware of theire ego than doing a good mod.

13. Eduard Mallorquí

Eduard Mallorquí Banned

After all modders want their mods to be played. With rF2 you have to spend more time to develop a mod and at the end it will be played by a small amount of people while in AC you can save time and get more people enjoying your creations, so no wonder why every single soul in simracing is moving there.

14. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Yes, because all modders are the same, have the same intentions and goals and work the same way.....:p

I'm pretty happy with modders going to whatever platform, the talented guys and those gaining lots of experience will no doubt be working on other projects/platforms in the future. we all benefit in the end.
    Everything is a learning curve and if better tools (whatever that means) ensures someone gets the modding-fever fullstop and gains experience and confidence through that, who's to say he wont be creating something truly awesome for rf2/3/whatever in the future?

Besides, if I would start to mod in simracing I would probably go for something that has a better result in a shorter time and work my way up. its only human.
    Sadly being elitists and having the need to 'pick' a side is also human.

For me as a league racer in rf2 I don't even have the time to fully explore what is out there. rf2 is so demanding that a day/week/month in one particular mod is just not enough to fully appreciate what's going on. so already I have plenty to go by and am just happy with whatever is released by these awesome people whom get bitched about on a regular basis just because they made 'a choice'.
    Because I am pretty sure the dedicated rf2 modders are being rediculed by AC users and otherwise. silly badgers.

People still don't seem to realise that the simracing community as a whole is a small market for few dedicated people. picking a side and pointing and laughing at the other side just shows how little one actually cares about this thing of ours.
    Want to pick a side? go into politics. for the rest, just support whatever is going on out there because not supporting it is like shooting yourself in your own foot down the road.

[not aimed at anyone in particular, I just felt like venting teehee]

15. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

I Think its pretty clear rf2 is losing. The urd corvette, gp2 mod, F1 2014 wip mod and upcoming mods like dtm 2013 and f3 who has a Real f3 driver testing and helping with physics. Pretty Nice tracks already. A simple conversion looks much better in AC which is a Big advantage for modders i would imagine. I know the hardcore simmers here likes rf2 more but for the more casual players like me AC has much more to offer with much less effort for the user. I play online and have great fun every night - also with community mods like f1 and gp2. I never managed to do that in rf2. I genuinely hope rf2 Will fulfill its potential but to me it seems like a mess still. I fully understand the joy hardcore simmers who know how to set everything up and tweak this and that get out of rf2 but i dont Think rf2 Was meant only for the few. Correct me if im wrong.

16. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

Nope, and I don't care.

17. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Just proves my point, to a certain degree.

A lot of people (again, not saying "all people") who dig AC aren't interested in putting too much of an effort into sim racing.
    More of a "switch on and play" type o' deal.

Which is fine obviously.
    It really is way more simple to get into, and the learning curve is more flat compared to rF2.
    I can see why that would appeal to a lot of people.

AC makes players feel like real racers much faster than more complicated sims.
    It boosts self-esteem, which is what a game should do, along with the entertainment it provides.

This is not me being elitist or anything like that.
    I'm just saying different people have different priorities when it comes to virtual racing.

18. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

Yes exactly - I agree with what you are saying. And because of this steep learning curve etc. AC has a much wider audience. Now I am not a modder but if I was I would like to share my work with as many ppl as possible which is why I think RF2 is losing at the moment. Like I said I really hope RF2 will do what it takes to be more approachable and less frustrating user-wise so it could be a real alternative to AC for ppl like me. I bought the game so it would be stupid not to. That would mean that some ppl would come back / or buy RF2 and it would be more attractive for the modders as well. If Rf2 remains in this state I think it will only be for the "elitists".

19. Domi

Domi Registered

AC has a much wider audience because it has Ferraris, BMWs, McLarens, Steam, good graphics and such, forget about steep learning curves and stuff like that. Driving aids can make easy even the most hardcore simulator.

20. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

By steep learning curve I didnt even mean the actual driving. I mean the whole process of tweaking, updating, installing, reinstalling from scratch etc. that is a big part of RF2. Apart from that yes I agree about the cars, graphics etc.