Is RF2 loosing to AC the modders?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lgel, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Have you seen the number of mods and tracks announced for AC?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2014
  2. Paddler

Paddler Registered

AC is sitting on my HD but I play it maybe 5min after an update. It's nice to look at but it's kind of boring to drive compared to rf2. So i think it's a Hype that will pass with the modders.

3. Minibull

Minibull Member

If you are going off of VirtualR, I haven't seen any of the recent rF2 mods being mentioned there...Trucks, Seat Leon, F1ASR92, Matra V12. Plus what ISI is teasing. I'm also interested in that Tor Radom track done off point cloud data.
    There are a lot of mods being announced and reported on, that's for sure. Speed of development seems faster in AC. But then there are certain things that aren't having to be modelled for. Wet weather, Day/Night lighting would be the biggies. Still doesn't mean quality either, as we see with quick and dirty rF2 conversions.

4. Alesi

Alesi Registered

mods? maybe some (but to slow and only few).. tracks?? no. tracks are mainly converted and so quality poor .. just awful.. awful textures

5. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Yes, there are a lot more modders going to AC and a lot more mods being made for that platform. No it's not a fad, rF2 has never really taken off with modders, but AC has better modding tools and is easier to mod for (tires). This is a major concern for ISI and the future of rF2-it was mods that made rF1, not the ISI content. If rF2 is going to remain relevant then ISI has to bend over backwards to attract modders back to rF2.

They need better modding tools, A FULL SET OF TIRES pre-made and DX11 support (even if DX11 doesn't make a big difference it is keeping modders away from rF2 for whatever reason it is what it is).

In communicating with modders and the concerns they have and why some are going to AC, these are the big reasons.

6. bwana

bwana Registered

Im happy with what we have already at RF2. all I need to make it complete is a LMP ( URD version soon) and a few Aussie scratch built tracks( the Mount and Adelaide as priorities) and all the current F1 tracks . Im sure just about all that will come soon enough. As paddler said Ac gets boring after 3 laps. and be buggered if I can figure out how to find a server to join or info on installing mods.

7. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

WTF are you talking about? I find AC totally fun and not boring, especially in those quick MP races I'm having every day. You never find quick rF2 races all the time do you!!??

Anyway, rF2 vehicle modding seems dead to me compared to AC, and I hope something is done quick.

8. peterchen

peterchen Registered

On VirtualR (oh sorry: VirtualAC) AC is pushed heavily.
    That´s no benchmark. Like Minibull said, rF2 mods are not announced there, or barely.
    And most AC tracks are bad, quick conversions.

But nevertheless, AC is easyer to mod. ANd that is what I say again and again:
    rF2 needs better modding tools and better documentation!
    Yes some (a lot? Modding-community itself seems smaller than ever) changed to AC who could make
    conversions for rF2 instead. But I doubt that AC will be the new über-modding-platform as
    a successor to rF1.

9. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

AC is probably easier to mod for but that doesn't mean the mods are better. Yes these has been a wave of new mods for AC recently. But guess what. Most of those mods are complete and utter junk. I guess nine out of ten tracks are useless lifeless pieces of junk at this point.

Sendt fra min LG-E400 med Tapatalk2

10. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

I gave AC another chance couple days ago again after a while and nothing major changed. Physics and FFB still horrible, but graphics of vehicles are quite good, not so much of the tracks. If rF2 had the same range of post processing effects it would look better than AC...

11. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

A steady stream of mods is critical if a combo gets boring after ten minutes. Regardless of what is more realistic, rF2 is more challenging to drive which means every combo provides more hours of entertainment and in my case infinite entertainment because the depth means I never really master any combo. Eventually, some AC users will tire of the combo-binge'ing and seek more depth. As they come over to rF2 hopefully some of them will be modders. Modded who seek accolades and recognition will get more of that with AC because larger and more combo-binge'y community or maybe not because a modded will get more attention from rF2 community because fewer mods. Who knows? But truly passionate modders who seek not fame and are skilled drivers will mod for rF2 because that is what they drive. Having said all that, while mods are great what seems to be needed more than anything in a serious community like rF2 is full grids and seasons and I think ISI recognizes this and is trying to think out of the box to solve the problem and partner with skilled modding teams and that is great and unless AC becomes more challenging then rF2 will always catch up as it will be differentiated. I do recommend that ISI get as aggressive as possible on this and find ways to meet modders in the middle and any innovative solutions etc. but in the meantime one thing that would be an enormous victory is if ISI could get the Historix team to choose rF2. Not sure how to do that but maybe best way is to ask them? Maybe build some tires for them? Also what about other blockbuster mod teams building out full grids in the past like DRM, Enduracers or even full lines of single models from historical to current like cater ham rF1 mod. Etc. Go after these people. Woo them with everything you have. There has to be win win situations where the whole will be more than the sum of its parts. For example, if ISI dropped all internal content development effective immediately and pursued Historix team with everything they had and shared the work it would be worth it. Or keep working on internal tracks but pause cars and help Historix team. The Historix mod alone is an entire game worth of content in itself. Or do this with DRM or any full grid mod. The diversity of rF2's engine has already been proven so ISI no longer needs to build one-off mods (except maybe to test new distinct characteristics like weight jackers). Now let's go kick some AC butt by getting some full grids to demonstrate even further how much more serious rF2 is.

12. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Quality always comes before quantity, at least in my book. This is why rF2 is and will stay at least one step ahead at all times.

Sendt fra min LG-E400 med Tapatalk2

13. stonec

stonec Registered

I don't think VirtualR is particularly biased, it just reflects the current situation. Frankly there isn't much "interesting" upcoming content for rF2 in the near future that I'm aware of, neither ISI nor modded content. If we compare against upcoming standard AC content like Spa, Nordschleife etc, these tracks will always appeal more to the public. I see no way rF2 can beat AC in popularity, neither among modders. Steam integration with rF2 is apparently being looked into now, but it's kind of too late. rF2 will remain a niche product for those who are interested in proper physics.

14. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Noticed the same myself, AC is becoming the mod land of plenty

Shame I don't really like the title maybe it will get better closer to release
    The whole ffb seems to only deal with car weight inertia which I don't like
    (I mean when it's out of beta)

Visually the early previews if many of the mods actually look pretty good

15. Minibull

Minibull Member

My issue with VR is that it is meant to be a sim racing news site. I would have thought just listing out the various new tidbits for each sim would be their goal. It is up to the reader to decide what they find as interesting. Some USA people might be very excited seeing some oval truck teasers, if they were casually using VR as their news site, seems like they wouldn't hear about it. Templates for stockcars were released recently. I myself love the look of the Seat, and the Matra is awesome having that V12 power. It's not their job to show me what they deem to be relevant or interesting.

Anyway, that's a bit OT.

ISI will probably never be able to swing the content bat as hard as the others. There is not the oodles of money to pursue all the large marques and world famous tracks. It's probably what is driving that idea of working with modding groups that Tim was talking about.
    I was always under the impression that it will be that niche sim, but one that is doing its best to properly simulate racing. I'm sure there will always be people looking for that in their sim.

16. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Instead of crying about vR, just don't use it. I'll never understand people who support something they don't like.

Edit: It's losing btw, not loosing. :)

17. TiTaN

TiTaN Registered

of course rf2 is loosing. I was a big fan of rFactor 2 now I see they are some kind of cocky and rely on rfactor 1 success. rFactor 2 devs and fans are so closed mind and grab about tyre deformation and weather and etc. It's a nice sim but it's so easy to let it go. but AC brings all the immersion that is needed to a sim IMHO the car feels like it's there, it has a mass, it has character, suspension work is amazing. KS are so productive, devs want the best, the most real experience and that brings the real sim fans. in old days rfactor 1 was "the sim" now it's rfactor 2 because it's "2" . I moved on and wait for 5 years maybe it's enjoyable.

18. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

The thing that is baffling me with this whole AC modding thing is that the vast majority of the circuits are quick conversions and, frankly, garbage. Yet all I see are people lapping it up?

I do wonder if they simply know no better? Is this because AC is on Steam and gained exposure to potential users that don't even know rF2 or even iRacing are a thing? Maybe they just have really low standards? Maybe my own standards are too high?

I'm not knocking AC, I quite enjoy a lap or two from time to time. But at the moment it's at the bottom of my particular sim pile behind rF2, iR and GSCE.

19. TiTaN

TiTaN Registered

bring rFactor 5, that will look like a real rFactor 3 maybe.

edit: well since my online license expired in rFactor 2 I'm going to play AC multiplayer now . and 4ever.

20. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

No, no. rFactor 5 will look like rFactor 5, rFactor 3 will look like rFactor 3.......odd thing to say.

Have fun :)