Oculus rift support in rFactor 2 asap - poll

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrR1pper, Aug 14, 2014.

?

Would you like to see oculus rift support asap?

1. Yes please

66.9%
  2. No rush

33.1%
  1. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

With which sim?

2. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Just Live For Speed. I don't have access to Project Cars and I refuse to use any 3rd party solution.

3. Ice9

Ice9 Registered

I haven't touched RF2 since LFS added DK2 support. I only purchased the S1 license but I'm planning on purchasing the rest this weekend. It's ridiculously awesome to turn laps while feeling like you are sitting in the car!

4. Frankysco

Frankysco Registered

LFS < rF2

LFS VR > rF2

And meanwhile here we are, without any comment from ISI team.

5. Frankysco

Frankysco Registered

I´m curious to know how much people who have voted "No rush" didn´t try the Rift.

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

How do you know this? Do you have TOTAL input lag test results available? If so, I'd love to see them. I am referring to total input lag, not simply pixel response times.

7. Axe

Axe Registered

I voted no rush and I have not tried rift. I plan to buy only customer version not DK. As I know, the customer version is planned to release next year and it means not start of the next year. At the same time I think rift implementation would not be very difficult. So I prefer to allocate ISI resources to something else what I can use.

Sure many if, but you have to make decisions also without exact information sometimes.

8. JarkkoR

JarkkoR Registered

Motion-to-photon is about 25ms without timewarp at the moment. This is latency what you feel when turning head. Timewarp lowers this under 20ms. Rendering frame at 75hz takes 13.3ms and there are people reporting latency(timewarped) as low as 13-14ms that would leave input lag of display about 0 :). So maybe not all information is valid and i have not tested this yet myself(DK2 have built in motion-to-photon tester). I will do some testing soon myself too but i can say this device have one-on-one feeling when you move your head and...it is just amazing.

PS. Youtube have one dk2 test with SLI. SLI add lag beacuse AFR. There is also discussions on reddit. Remember motion-to-photon is not input lag of display. It is input lag+all other stuff. It would have been horrible mistake to put high latency display inside DK2 ;)

EDIT: BTW, is this reliable source of display lag for monitors? ---> http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

It seems strange that at 60hz there is lower then 10ms input lag. You have to render new frame to see result what ever you do in game, move you aim, head etc. This takes 16.6ms to render @60hz. To me it looks like DK2 have less total lag then any of those displays!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2014
  9. 7xu5

7xu5 Registered

I find it amazing that after two years there may know of ISI, support for oculus? Its arrive, but arrive ver y late as usual, which I would like to know is if there will be someone playing rfactor when they finish the job.

Most games carry support for dk1 and dk2. but despite being thousands of users, isi not moving piece. I think it is not very smart of isi, but since we know the ridiculous way of developing of isi

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2014
  10. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

I have tested Dk1 and DK2 and they are not good, it is wise to wait.

DK1= 1280 x 720, Screen Size 7” Innolux HJ070IA-02D 7″ LCD, Latency 50ms – 60ms, Refresh Rate 60Hz.

DK2= 1920 x 1080, Screen Size 5.7” Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Latency 20ms – 40ms, Refresh Rate 75Hz.

11. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I think that for users that want a superb VR experience it is wise to wait. But I think that it will be then limited to quite a lot of people by hardware capabilities to provide a seamless experience that might force many people to use it with a DK2 resolution. I foresee a 4K resolution screen the mininum acceptable to appreciate the quality of todays tracks and car 3d models.

However, as many said, actual resolution seems to be enough for enjoying and immersion compensates the lack of resolution. I dont think that the required support for CV1 should be very different to DK2. In that sense it would not be wise to hold for support. The more experience a platform gets optimizing for the rift the better prepared for the future. As I said, other platforms made the correct move quickly. Is ISI the only clever company or maybe the most shortsighted one?

12. AirGar

AirGar Registered

Heck yes. I've got both DK1 and DK2

I've only played a bit with DK2 but it is much better and honestly good enough.

13. blanes

blanes Registered

Nothing personal to you Durge but using your narrow-minded inward looking comments as an example ... because Oculus Rift is definately NOT a fad and "impatient fanboys" ? Give us a break ! ... Good Grief where have you guys been that think like this ?

Get with the times and be realistic, adding OR support now will entice many many new users to rFactor2 as it has done with LFS and Elite Dangerous. A whole new market of users who are starved for content such as racing games, and the numbers are growing daily ( 60,000 sales of the DK2 since March 19 ).

ISI badly needs an injection of new users and this is the Perfect opportunity ... break necks if you have to but get the OR compatability in there and ride the wave of VR while it is still peaking ~ absolutely crazy or ignorant not to ~ ISI have their own schedule no doubt but it is so slow ... one only has to be active in other gaming forums ( pcars, elite, assetto to name a few ) and then return to the rFactor2 forums where you quickly begin thinking that maybe there is something wrong internally at ISI because so many questions and requests appear to go unheeded.

At the end of the day with other racing titles together with great space games like Elite on the horizon with DK2 support, I will find rFactor2 gets less interest unless they move up a few gears and express some optimism by doing stuff like implementing Oculus Rift DK2 compatability or updating plugins like TrackIR for 64bit together with other stuff groups of users want implemented.

ISI really need to be more active in making comments and engaging with their community more often.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2014
  14. djbob

djbob Registered

I would never have bought Elite Dangerous, but because of the good reviews with the DK2 I gave it a go. I may or may not get into it properly in future, but they at least have my money and my attention at the moment.

In simple business terms surely the cost of implementing DK2 support would be more than returned by new users? Maybe it is a case of needing to get a new staff member which is making the commitment more difficult?

15. blanes

blanes Registered

I did really love Rf2 until I got my dk2, it has now been 3 months since I last came to these forums and first thing I found is that the only decent thread about Oculus Rift was shutdown 11-07-14 by Tim Wheatley after what unfortunately did read like a bit of a dummy spit.

Strikes me as overly melodramatic, where was the harm in keeping that thread alive ? There was nothing offensive in asking again about OR Dk2 support, even if it might be annoying for Tim or whoever to read. There is certainly plenty of other annoying posts still alive and the fact is those repeated questions come from users passionate about what a great new technology the Rift is because it drives immersion in racing sims to a whole new level, and that married with Rf2 would be totally awesome !

What is the point of development forums where the devs hardly interact or debate topics such as this ? Today I read that Rf2 has a new version of the Ring Tourist released and I was actually excited to get back and give it another try but after reading a few dismal threads and seeing the Oculus thread closed I feel very despondent as I thought perhaps after so many months and so many Dk2's sold that ISI may have taken a second look at bringing development forward.

I get that ISI decided other things must come first but software development usually has some fluidity and given this title is still a beta of sorts it would seem logical to respond to the market in a more dynamic way as it would likely bring some boost to sales with release of pCars pushed back and only other titles being LFS & AC. But that is that I guess and the feeling one gets coming back here infrequently is that ISI do not care too much about the wishes of their customers/subscribers/followers... good on them for sticking to their guns I suppose, even though it is obvious many like me fail to understand such a narrow perspective. Anyway it is back to playing the other 3 race titles I mentioned for me. I won't give up hope just yet. Ciao. :)

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Choosing a game because it is crappier but has support for a 3d headset over a game that is better (better physics and ffb) but doesn't have support (yet) for a 3D headset.... You obviously didn't like rF2 as much as you say you did if all it takes is an Oculus Rift to sway you over to quit playing rF2. I mean the game hasn't changed, lol. The physics, the FFB, the sounds, the graphics themselves, nothing has changed. It's still the same program, the headset doesn't change the game. The physics, FFB, A.I., etc. don't know and don't care if the user is wearing a headset.

Pure gameplay itself comes second now to which games support a headset, lol. What's next? Physics and FFB become less important than the U.I.? Wait, some already think that too, lol.

17. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

This x infinity. ;)

18. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I'm loving using the rift with sim-racing -its a match made in heaven ( using iracing as it has trouble free intigrated support etc )

[​IMG]

having a total blast !!, but I do look forward to ISI's update here as & when it arrives

p.s once you get hooked on VR theres no going back to static/separate traditional monitors

19. I3bullets

I3bullets Registered

Hmm... don't have a OR myself but I am not so sure about what you said there... Just food for thought: Did you see those OR videos where "common people" use the rollercoaster demo and such? Seeing them swaying back and forth, even falling down makes me think putting on the OR actually generates physics of its own ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INDKNA7kXoo

20. Rik

Rik Registered

+1 or with oculus or with others headset brands, the immersion will be very different.