Oculus rift support in rFactor 2 asap - poll

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrR1pper, Aug 14, 2014.

?

Would you like to see oculus rift support asap?

1. Yes please

66.9%
  2. No rush

33.1%
  1. stonec

stonec Registered

Those hardcore simracers who invest in things like 3 monitors probably will, for the rest I doubt that. Most competitive sim racers I know still drive with a single display. Oculus adds new problems as well, for example high response times compared to a gaming monitor, motion sickness issues, etc. There are still too many question marks to predict if this becomes a mainstream product. My vote is also to focus on what is essential: make modding easier, work on Steam integration, etc.

2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

thanks, never tried Pcars -think it lacks physics right? -when comparing to something like rf2/Iracing

direct to rift mode -I've had no luck with that, but the direct low latency I get (with multi) is out of this world,
    I positioned the sim car in a place & turned up ffb so the wheel was shaking few inches up & down pretty fast,
    then I looked at the real world wheel with half my view looking at the virtual wheel (rift slightly off) was good to see the aspect/distance/positioning was right but the movements matched 100% visually
    and it was moving pretty quick as well , it surprised , before I could always find some lag although I got it right down to what I thought was a very minor almost untraceable level but in comparison to now I was sim racing with a whole ton of it

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2014
  3. DarrenM

DarrenM Registered

True for me. Assetto Corsa recently screwed up their DK1 support and I've stopped playing it, even though I was in 2 leagues. I just can't go back.

I haven't driven a sim on a monitor for more than a few minutes since the start of the year. After 8 months heavily using the rift it feels completely wrong and is no longer immersive or engaging. Imagine if rF2 didn't have wheel support and you had to drive it with a gamepad. Would you still spend your time in rF2 or would you go play other sims with wheel support even if the graphics and physics weren't quite as good?

VR definitely is the future for racing sims. It won't be required, but it will be highly preferable. Hopefully they get the cost down for the consumer release so everyone can enjoy it :)

I think it will be adopted a lot more than triple monitors. The cost is significantly less and it doesn't take any room.

4. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

I cannot dissagree in this, but OR will give a new dimention in that, I only hope I can afford it :D

5. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

It is absolutely amazing that even though people are reporting not going back to monitor after trying the rift, some people that havent tried are suggesting to hold Oculus support. What retrogade minds!

6. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

You bring up some good points but I honestly don't see the average gamer being interested in rF2. rF2 does carry a negative stigma in the sim racing community so if someone were to ask "which should I get" rF2 won't be recommended. Plus, as a follower of rF2, I really haven't seen ISI push sales of their software.

We'll all see how this plays out once the consumer version is released IMO. Plus I do believe Sony and Nvidea are working on their own VR headset although I could just be imagining I read that somewhere.

7. coops

coops Banned

well said agree. as i think a lot of ppl will wait for consumer rift b4 they buy but they should get things rolling for then, as i think they are trying for 2015 release = (rift)

8. crz

crz Registered

If you look at a static image through the Rift the resolution just sucks compared to what we are used to. Despite that it still keeps me coming back to LFS to just drive around, the immersion is so good you forget about the resolution quickly. All that with a decent display and I'm in heaven.

It isn't as bad as you said though. The DK 2 has a resolution of 1920x1080 which gives you 960x1080 per eye.

9. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

If some like to read the news...
    Samsung will release his VR headset in september and a chinese company has also announced his project.
    Competition and the race to be in the lead when a new technology emerges is absolutely amazing. I maintain my opinion that VR will be a huge selling target this christmas. Only some fanboys think that everybody developes stuff at the same pace that ISI does. There is a big cake at the end of the race. At this pace it will be difficult they easy catches up and grabs a piece.

http://m.europapress.es/portaltic/g...ung-presentara-septiembre-20140813142635.html

10. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

If you look at the votes you can see that an ISI staff member has voted "no rush" so I think it will be some time before they implement this. Hopefully it is done by the time the consumer Rift is released. I agree there are some things that are more important priorities, such as the new driveline model with realistic clutch. Perhaps ISI's core graphics dev is hard at work on something big that we will appreciate more than official rift support. Or maybe they are working on rift support but want to get it perfect before release. The framerate hit might be too much at the moment.

11. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Yes I guess "No Rush" could have been a better title for rF2. How many features have been added in the last year?

B382 was released 8 months ago and i cant say the it has evolved too much since then. Indeed mod manager is broken since 590 was released in spring.

I just cant smile and say ISI take your time. Life passes ... They are definitely not putting many effort in rF2. I wonder how is the company internally doing. My perception is that things are going wrong and that nobody in ISI is pulling and leading this project as it deserves.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2014
  12. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

What an ignorant and insulting thing to say.

Is there a mute function on this forums?

13. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

How many people are fully dedicated to rf2 development clever guy? Answer or dont me call me ignorant being yourself one...

14. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

I didn't call you ignorant. I said your statement was ignorant and insulting.

It also has nothing to do with how many people are working on it. You said they aren't putting in much effort.

How insulting! How do you know how hard these guys work? From here, it looks like they put in a hell of a lot of effort. Maybe more effort than you put into your job?

You can criticize the product if you want, but saying ISI doesn't work hard is a flat out insult to everyone here.

15. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Yep, only two clicks away. Click on the persons name, then on the left side you'll see "ignore user". I have no idea why Spaskis doesn't walk away from rF2 for awhile. :)

16. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Yes there is... and it's lovely! :D

17. Mark8539

Mark8539 Registered

I have an Oculus Rift DK2 and I don't see myself seriously running any sim now that doesn't have Oculus Rift support. It beats my triple screens by miles. rFactor 2 is an excellent sim so I do hope Oculus Rift support is made available soon so I can get back to playing it.

18. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Because it has the best physics snd FFB. When an alternative sim with these or better characteristics is available I will definitely move out.

Apparently ISI engineers do better job than programmers are doing. Insulting is not telling someone that he is doing a bad job when that is what is happening. The development of rF2 is awful.

19. JarkkoR

JarkkoR Registered

You got this wrong. DK2 display latency is lowest you can get(also the response time is something LCD's cannot touch). It is not same as motion to photon that is absolutely amazing too with DK2(not issue anymore, they really nailed it). You feel connected and you are really "there" and not just looking your cockpit from some window. Everybody that i have showed my DK2 have been stunned about it. I think this is really game changer for simulations. This one will not make you slower like TIR and we need to get this supported in rFactor 2 too! at least when CV1 arrives...

20. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Shh. Keep it a secret. The latency (or lack there of) is ridiculously good. I can't decide if I'm a much better driver in the Rift because I can see everything I need to (played on single 3D Vision monitor), because I can "spidey-sense" immediately when I've just deviated from the optimum line, or because response to the wheel is immediate. Probably a combination of all three.