Rf2 vs gsc2013

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by msportdan, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Andregee

Andregee Registered

You forgott the real time reflexions, New shadow and lightning system, better particle system incl godrays and sun occlussion . I see big differences

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk

2. msportdan

msportdan Banned

well I've been playing 1.20 quite a bit last nite.
    and I'm very impressed considering its on an older engine to rf2, if i didn't know any better i wouldn't think anything of it. The physics are great ..sound is good and the graphics, while not on exact par with rf2 still look good with the better lighting and shaders etc. The cockpits are as good imo and at least you don't get that sill yellow hue over the cockpit like rf.
    FFb is miles better than rf2 imo, and thats playing them back to back, rf feels flat and weak and obviously needs a ton of tweaking out of the box.
    The tracks even though i don't know many are great fun and offer more variety than ISI vanilla tracks. Ai ring is great to drive and the variety with cars (although little bit more leaned to single seaters) in handling is very noticeable.

Would i say it easier than rf in handling terms….

no?

its a overall more polished sim, and at this rate ISI need to buck their ideas up before reiza start adding more feature like weather RR etc etc.

Don't get me wrong Rf2 is an awesome sim, but seems slow in development, and don't seem eager to add offline replayabiity like a season and leave elements unfinished.

Well done Reiza….

ISI come on :)

3. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

If you actually take the time to tweak rF2's ffb, it's miles above GSCE. It'd almost be unfair to even compare them.
    I guess it would sort of be the point with a complicated, advanced sim..? That it needs tweaking?
    I would never expect "plug'n'play" from a sim. I'd expect to have to tweak it for a long time before it feels right.
    But again, not a lot of people have any kind of patience for that.

I also played both back to back yesterday. Had quite a bit of fun in GSCE for a few hours.
    It just gets so unbelievably boring after a while, when the only dynamic thing going is tire degradation.
    The racing surface is the same, lap after lap.

Then I loaded up rF2, the Skip Barber on one of the short Sebring layouts.
    I was actually annoyed with myself that I'd spent so much of my evening with GSCE, because rF2 just feels so right.
    I only had time for a 40 min. race i rF2, but it was total immersion and excitement all through the race.

I don't care much about "polish". I care about whether the sims I race feel right while racing them.
    GSCE does to a certain extent.
    rF2 does 100 percent, for me at least.

4. David Wright

David Wright Registered

Blimey!/Slightly Mad Studios? BMW M3 Challenge used the ISI engine and the Shift series and Ferrari Racing Legends used the ISI physics engine with a new tyre model and other tweaks.

But we may be arguing over semantics. Some developers licensed the rFactor engine and others such as Simbin had a license which let them go in and alter the underlying code. Perhaps this is what Guimengo might mean?

5. msportdan

msportdan Banned

i can understand your point.

But the slight positives in rf2 get out weighed by the fact that most of its unfinished. At the end of the day Motorsport includes having competition against other drivers. With no season mode and any competitive reward, all the "advanced" sim features in rf seem rather null.

Im not sure how advanced it actually is when as i say some things don't really work properly..

But as i said and always said rf2 is a great sim and with further work WILL be unbeatable.

Obviously im talking about offline.

6. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

I much prefer GSC to rF2. In fact I haven't put a proper session into the latter for months. For whatever reason I just can't get into rF2 right now. As good as the driving model is, I find the sim unsatisfying in almost all other aspects.

I find rF2 to be very content limited for my tastes. Quality content that is. Very few tracks that interest me and it's only really the third party GT and touring cars that appeal to me.

Other sims offer more of the content I want to race and I'm prepared to pass on some of the features of rF2 for that.

7. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

For me the slight positives in GSCE get outweighed greatly by the fact that even the unfinished features in rF2 are better and feel better.

Just how are you missing a "competitive reward" in rF2?

For me there's great reward and unlimited immersion in just loading up a car I love on a track I love, and just race my heart out for the duration of the race.
    Racing with 100 percent concentration against crazy fast, smart AI, knowing that if I make one single mistake, it'll all be over in a heartbeat.
    Feeling how the tires slowly get into the optimal temp range, before starting to fall off.
    Feeling the track rubbering in, slowly, lap after lap.
    Feeling how the fuel burns off and the car getting lighter and changing handling characteristics throughout the race.

When it's like that, advancing even just a few positions over the course of a 45 min. race is more rewarding than anything else in offline virtual racing.

I don't need the sim to trick me into believing I'm in a championship or anything like that.
    For me it's all about the racing, when I'm racing on track. In that regard, rF2 IS unbeatable. Everything else that'll be added later is just icing on the cake.

8. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

That's the thing, I think most of those (if not all except for Simbin) licensed rFactor instead of g/pmotor.

9. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Those are all great points, but going through a whole season, the highs and lows, battling for points, maybe you have an AI nemesis... all that stuff is what makes sim racing to me.

I agree with everything you said, except your last paragraph :)

10. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I absolutely hated David Coulthard in F1 C 99-02, the jerk was out to get me.

11. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Yeah well, who knows...
    Maybe I'm just bitter and contraire because I don't have anywhere near the time it takes to do a full championship. ;)

12. msportdan

msportdan Banned

ive played both tonight again, I think playing a little more....

Gsc seems to remind me of race 07 series especially visually and ive seen some annoying glitches that remind me of that ai is also very aggressive even on lower aggression settings,. (they seem to not see you alongside)

Rf I do believe now has the better physics, But the Ai seem much more improved. then of course theres real road. Thing is when you sort of start playing for a while without it you somehow start missing it and noticing, everything all of a sudden becomes plain, if u know what I mean. So maybe GSc seems a step back in the sim, world... but its still a great game, and does well to do what it does on an older engine.

ALso comparing the karts across both games, differences seem more apparent..

however...

I still think RF needs some sort of basic championship mode.. imho..

:)

Mind u if i could take interlagos and a1 ring i would be happy lol

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2014
  13. stonec

stonec Registered

rF2 FFB basically does not need any tweaking out of the box. There are two parameters to adjust: gain multiplier and "steering torque minimum" (PLR setting). Often you don't need to adjust these either as the FFB gain is already tuned ideal for most ISI cars. There are no canned effects either so nothing more to adjust really.

The perception of "weak" comes from the fact that you are probably using a wheel with toy FFB engines (G27), which are not able to output big forces. In slow corners the FFB on many race cars is about half of the max, which will be perceived weak on a wheel like G27. Some other games (AC etc, haven't tried GSC) just use max forces in almost all corners, so you get a feeling of a strong FFB, but in reality it's not telling you anything as it's just working as a spring.

14. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

ahahah Super Expert detected.

Or maybe the FFB for road feel is tuned softer by default?

15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I was taken back by how nice the ffb is in gsc, but rf2 is the undisputed king in the ffb dept

16. Domi

Domi Registered

No. Toy wheels. There isn't any "ffb for road feel". What you feel comes from the steering rack, so if you are driving with a high downforce car and the ffb gain is set to have little to no clipping in high loads (fast corners), in slow speed, with little downforce, the forces are weak.

17. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

ISI turned what seemed like their biggest, perennial complaint and turned it into their strength - FFB. Stock GSCE content is very good and the FFB is as good as it can get with the limitations, with ISImotor 2.5 FFB became impressive.

18. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Expert number 2 detected!