Absolutely amazing...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kotakotakota, Jul 29, 2014.

1. kotakotakota

kotakotakota Registered

I currently work as a roboticist at a small startup on some really exciting high profile contract projects so all of my personal time has been whisked away and funneled into a continuous cycle of development, learning, and not getting enough sleep. Pulled up RF2 today for the first time in a long while (think on the scale of months), installed the latest update, as well as the latest Nords. First thing I notice... the instantaneous load time to get to the main menu. Nice!

Oh, now would be a good time to mention that I got a new GPU lately because I use a lot of CUDA at work and my NVIDA GTX 260 was showing it's age with so many critical features unsupported. I upgraded to a GTX 770 with 4 gigs of GDDR5 to play with at home.

So, needless to say, loaded up Darche with 30 cars at Nords with full graphics settings and started driving. Oh my, what a difference compared to just a few months ago. I know there are a number of factors here; the updates ISI put out, in particular the 64 bit release, the huge upgrade from the 260 to the 770, the combined efforts of pleclair, DJC, and Tosch on the Nurburgring, the increased framerate and the improved graphical settings, but still... It doesn't even feel like remotely the same sim it did before. Maybe my next upgrade should be a new wheel :)

I started up and ran into some walls during practice, being really rusty and all. After managing to pull together a couple clean laps while still being overwhelmed by the AI's pace at a measly 95% strength and 75% aggression (I'm not very fast haha), I decided I would go into a 6 lap race. Lined up on the grid 26/30. A few turns in and with the tires warming up I started pushing harder. After some aggressive takeovers and some AI mistakes, I found myself in 14th and just finishing my first lap. You know that high speed straight that ends with a tight right hand turn at the end/start of the lap? There is that bump that is virtually impossible to see over, right around where the braking line is that makes a slight left before going into that right.Turns out an AI completely botched that bump or the turn a couple places ahead of me, had a head on collision with the wall, and totaled, spiraling out of control into the middle of the track. I watched as the two cars in front of me slammed the brakes, one of them colliding with the totaled car head on while the other on the right, barely brushing past it. I ended up crashing into the car on the left, dislodging my front bumper. I drove away, now back down to 27/30. At a low speed, I didn't really notice much, since my steering column/toe/camber didn't seem to be affected by the collision. Straight was still straight, left was left, right was right and all was good. But as I picked up speed, I noticed something definitely felt really off. At a high speed turn I felt drastic understeer, and felt the front of the car coming off the track. I teased the brakes to try to force some oversteer and put more pressure on the front wheels. I got back into control and got to a bump in the road where the front of my car shot upward and I felt all four wheels leave the ground. Almost veered off after landing but kept the car in bounds somehow. Managed to hold position for the rest of the lap and pit, but wow... That huge change in car dynamics after the collision and the amount of feedback I felt in my aging G27 through the whole race was nearly unfathomable. I am so totally impressed with the sim, and I really ought to make more time for it. :)
    (Plus, I really need to get into modding and remove the fantasy kerbs :p)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2014
  2. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Absolutely agree. I had a couple of months out due to work. Missed 2 builds and came back in on b798. The difference to me was night and day. Previous to this I ran the sim daily from the 1st build. Sometimes if development speed or little bugs are frustrating you. Its a good thing to step away for a while as the improvements are much more noticeable.

3. Emery

Emery Registered

I popped into rF1 to reacquaint myself with the Panoz on Silverstone and Spain. Driving felt "okay", but, man, what a difference a decade of graphical improvement makes!

Came running back to rF2 after about 15 minutes with the knowledge that there's no reason to go back now even if I did see 500-1000 fps in rF1 (LOL). rF1 is dead to me except for an occasional nostaligic peek.

4. kotakotakota

kotakotakota Registered

Haha that's a good point. Stepping away really gives you a fresh look and appreciation.

Yeah, I'd imagine RF1 feels a little stale after experiencing the current state of RF2. :) The graphics in RF2 actually look pretty good now, and the physics feel so absolutely fantastic XD I was really surprised about all of that.

5. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

A couple of months ago I reinstalled rF1 to try a couple of mods I missed and took the BMW Sauber around Silverstone. Had a very fun time and I miss that "old" layout compared to the current, as well as that Sauber - which I never appreciated at the time.

6. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

To OP if you really want your mind blown try the BES mod and report back. Regarding rf1 I go back from time to time as new mods are released. Last time I went back I discovered many mods that I originally dismissed but which were really excellent but just had terrible and I mean terrible default setups.

7. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

8. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

9. kotakotakota

kotakotakota Registered

Isn't that mod like rather illegal or something?

10. yusupov

yusupov Registered

no, not to my knowledge. its been hosted at racedepartment for some time, but for game stock car. don't think the rf2 version is.

11. coops

coops Banned

yep i stepped away for 2 updates come back and its great but in future will only go back to rf for a brake

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2014
  12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

2 builds .......bah :)

First corner first build first Eau Rouge the F3 was sublime, nothings changed for them at least.............. ;)

I just could not fathom the amount of negative comments about the Historic tracks graphics in the first few months.

OT but AC and pCARS track ambience for mine looks like DX10/11 fakery.

Driving the Lotus at Monza in both make me feel like I am in 2014 with a rebuilt Lotus and Monza.

rF2 feels like 1966 to me. lol

13. speed1

speed1 Banned

Yesterday I had insane fun with the EVEF3 on monaco. Another friend was thrilled how exactly you have to control the car and simulation. He was getting better with each round showing how well it works when he was not able to go fast from the start. :)

14. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Driving the Lotus in AC is rather cool. But you're right.
    AC really isn't anywhere near the historic ambiance needed to be really immersed.

15. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

What do you mean historic ambiance? Having a color palette or filter to make it look like videos or photos? Real life hasn't changed from 1966 to today. I've been to Monza and Spa and walked around, I cannot imagine things looking different. Sand is sand. A tree is a tree. A mountain is a mountain. Green is still green. Asphalt is asphalt and while it has been relaid, asphalt "black" is still asphalt black.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2014
  16. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

He means what he means. There are plenty of online dictionaries to clear your confusion.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ambiance

Edit: Oh I get it, he says he likes the look of rF2 and that is grounds for an argument. nvm then, carry on.

17. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Are you even trolling? The only good thing about rF2 is FFB. If you like anything else, you must be a troll.

18. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

I am a troll.

LOL

19. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

LOL, me too. I always hang out on game forums I don't like. :D

20. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

So, back on topic