Where do the rFactor 2 people get their oval on?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by realkman666, Jul 24, 2014.

1. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

I have nothing against Indy and TWS, but let's say you want to flutter between rF2 for road and something else for ovals, something like a more complete Murca experience, what do you do?

I know ARCA is rF1-based like GSC, so it shouldn't be bad, and there's a rebate right now, no demo, shady website missing a lot of information. So I don't know.
    iRacing is out of the question.
    I got "gifted" NASCAR 14 and it's a disaster area.

Or maybe there's something else, or a new ARCA planned for the future?
    It's been a while since Craftsman Series on Win98. :p

2. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

ASR is a lot of money for the age IMO.

I still have it installed and enjoy it occasionally, it is a quality product.

Bought NASCAR'14 and my wheel doesn't work with it. (Last game I'll every buy from ETX.) Looks cool though. I would have enjoyed it I think.

There isn't any oval options unless you go to rF1 or ASR. iracing has the monopoly in that area for modern stuff. Personally I can't wait till we get the Gen6. Will be awesome to try one with grip and FFB.

3. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

I don't really want the modern stuff and of course the price is insane. :p
    ETX are pretty awful all around. I really liked their previous Ferrari game, though.

4. Jamie Shorting

If you're into dirt oval, I've heard there are a lot of good mods for rFactor. That's if you already own rfactor.

simraceway has some oval stuff. I think they have one or two oval cars. Probably 50 cents each or something close.

5. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Oh? I'll reinstall SRW then. I saw that they got Cadwell too.

6. Quartza

Quartza Registered

There has been some test servers with oval content. They were at Jacksonville speedway. There's that really old screen shot of Charlotte Motor Speedway, that they seem to have been sitting on for awhile. Oval stuff should be around the corner.

7. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Don't tell anyone but I still rely on Nascar 2003 for my oval work.

8. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Is NASCAR 4 close enough?

OMG

Just reinstalled Simraceway. Didn't realize you can't tweak the resistance of the G25. Feels super stiff, awful. Dumped it right away.

Reinstalled NASCAR 14. What a MASSIVE POS this is. The prompts on the screen are all Xbox. The road resistance is just linear grip, without any feeling or detail. I never found a way to assign the TH8RS as a shifter because the G25 is detected as main input and it has upshift/downshift by default. The reverse is mapped to the freaking brake "button". There is a massive deadzone in the center FFB. Hey, at least it doesn't crash anymore!

I got refunded on NASCAR 13 because it was a buggy piece of garbage, but it was drivable. This is pure rubbish.

ARCA doesn't sound so bad now, even at that ridiculous price. If someone here wants to go 2 FOR 1 with me, answer me here and in a message. I don't know when the deal ends.
    http://www.thesimfactory.com/main/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=59

9. Jamie Shorting

The ffb in simraceway is awful, sorry forgot to mention. Last time I tried it I just turned it off.

10. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

I only played SRW as a noob and I did not remember it.

11. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Nascar Racing 2003 was last that Paprys was involved, then Electronic arts took the Nascar title to the masses, mostly for arcade multiplayer for wide appeal.

2003 is terribly expensive now. If you can get it. (I paid about $90 on ebay in about 2010)
    FFB is decent (not rF2 comparable, but what is). It is not overgrippy and heavy. AI is pretty decent and very adjustible. Best part is that setup adjustments do what you would expect.

Nascar 2004, I did find and bought a copy of it in 2011, installed, drove 2 laps, and promptly uninstalled.

12. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Do you know if NASCAR 4 was just as good?

13. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

No, it's not, New owners just did not have the physics expertise.
    Papyrus disappeared after 2003. 2004 is the one I tried and opted out of.

14. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

NASCAR 4 came out before 2003.

15. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Your correct, but no matter, still isn't Papy. Papy started its siming in about 1994. I think they were running under Sierra. Papy did sever racing sims including Grand Prix Legends and earlier than GPL did a F1 sim. Most PaPy Members dropped out before year 2004. I believe another company bought the rights to Nascar 2003 code and then became known as now "iRacing".

***edit.
    I think there were at least 3 publishers running Nascar puplications, really gets confusing sometimes.
    Sierra, Electronic Arts, and I think one other. Of course all of them had Nascar in the Title but the whole title had little differences.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2014
  16. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

17. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

View attachment 13733

18. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

lol, you got me on that one! (I should have looked at the disk cover a little closer) Finally did more research on Papy, looks like they did work on 10-12 titles for Sierra. The 2003 title was the last. The difference between 2003 and Nascar4 is pretty big. I suppose I could just be biased for some reason or other.

Still, nothing compares to what we have now. I always like a walk down memory lane on occasion.

19. ACSmall

ACSmall Registered

Get the Arca game and sign up for the beta, if you want to be part of the next generation of Oval-racing.

It`s a ton of fun, with real people making people mistakes. As an example the other night we ran at Indy 160 Laps. With less than 10 laps to go

caution came out and I had enough fuel to make it, I stayed out and was in 4th place and I knew the leaders had new tires and would fly by me,and I thought I could

pull off a top 10 maybe.

The car right behind me was pushing me witch was OK with me but the car behind Him slammed him so hard it drove the front of my car into the wall and yes

we had the big one. and it was a newbie in the car that slammed us the guy say`s green flag and we all wait for the car in front to go but this guy just matted it

to the floor rookie, and it was what it was.

But the thing is I`am racing on ovals and enjoying it.

And you can too!

20. rogue22

rogue22 Registered

Iracing is owed by former Papyrus nascar series creator Dave krammer, he bought the rights to his own sim to stop the modding community from using it so he could create iracing with it. He created First.

Iracing is nascar racing 2003 under the hood still.

Arca sim racing maybe based off RF1 but the realism in it is amazing, just take note its based off Arca cars not nascar, its worth the price to be honest, and there are some good series and leagues that have some excellent racing if your interested.