Shelby Cobra

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Racefreak1976, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

When, ISI?

2. yusupov

yusupov Registered

+1

hopefully the overwhelmingly positive reaction to the AC (er, assetto corsa) mod of this car will push their development for this.

3. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

oh dear god, if ISI starts planning their development on the reaction of the casual sim racing crowd, rF2 will be in serious trouble.

4. yusupov

yusupov Registered

nice.

5. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

This.

6. yusupov

yusupov Registered

...is called irony?

7. coops

coops Banned

well do we know who started who's 1st and what the difference in the amount of workers there are for each sim. Also Tim said the devs are getting fussy these days which is a good thing for us. hopefully no complaints or problems when it comes. LOL

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

It blows my mind how people think that car is good. Fun - yes, sim = absolutely not.

9. Jos

Jos Registered

well if they think the car is fun then they'll think its good. nobody's driven the real car so they cant talk about sim... unlikey spinelli offcourse

and the sc version seems to needs fixing on the rear end grip. (confirmed by devs)

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

If you're trying to analyze what techniques the car needs and how it reacts to those precise techniques, then yes, you need to have driven the real car. For example, there is no way I'd be able to change all the little differences in vehicle behavior between a Mclaren F1 and a Force India F1, no way at all because I haven't driven them at all, let alone driven them to anywhere near their potential laptime limit. Having said that, there are general things about vehicle behavior that you can distinguish without having driven a car (experience driving other cars close to their actual laptime limit really helps; before racing in real-life I thought sims were overly sensitive because I just looked at real-life onboards and other car videos, and I got a real reality check once I started doing the real thing and then realized that onboard videos are extremely vague and only show the big stuff, which is a fraction of all the tiny and vital stuff going on), and that Assetto Corsa AC Cobra is pure semi-sim/casual racing "sim" physics.

The slip angles when your car is in a very-close-to-the-limit sensitive state, where very, very small throttle and steering-wheel inputs should make a big difference to the "attitude" and all the tiny slips that are constantly going on and changing thousands of times a second, seems very simplified and un-dynamic. Very stale.

Braking can get a little tricky and is pretty good, but from initial turn-in and throughout the rest of the corner, it feels very "1 dimensional". Where you should instead be able to play with the different slip angles in a very minute and sensitive fashion from initial turn-in to corner exit, this version just becomes very stale and seemingly simplified.

Not to mention the rear seems to always want to re-grip way too suddenly and at way too small of a slip angle when provoked hard. The momentum and slide of the rear just isn't there, it just wants to overly re-grip as soon as it comes out. This is a general major flaw of just about every Assetto Corsa car, and has been there since the first release almost 1 year ago. But most people only complain when things are too difficult not too easy, and therefore it's not noticed by many ppl.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2014
  11. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Spinelli... lol
    Seriously, did you read the thread about the mod... yes mod, its a version 0.1 beta player made car.
    Gotta love a know it all...

12. Minibull

Minibull Member

Yeah, I would pick that his view is aimed at all the people saying that is the best sim car around, as they are doing on that certain news site...

The same argument can be used on them too, in a nice way. "Best car I've driven in a long time." "Physics are pretty close to the real thing..."
    It's a 0.1 release, and the dampers don't work right, and it has monstrous high speed stability issues XD

I've been swapping from the AC Cobra to the Power and Glory 427. It's interesting hahaha

13. Jamie Shorting

According to reddit it's the greatest sim racing car ever. When someone says "meh", it's cause it isnt' finished. too funny. :D

14. yusupov

yusupov Registered

by "braking is a little tricky" do you mean that its completely broken? because it is. if the cobra drove the way the AC one currently does, everyone who drove it would be dead because they wouldnt have got a second chance to learn how to brake at 120+mph. this car would be infamous.

but nah, to you thats just a sign that its complex bc its difficult and difficult = real.

fwiw theyre going to fix that & give the rear more 'slip angle under power' or whatever dork term you use. (have less grip)

15. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

I had this short conversation about AC earlier with some guy on YouTube. I seriously hope this is not one of you guys. ROFL
    AC must be good...according to him at least. It appears he is a real life racer by the looks of his channel though.
    I would like to hear your opinions. :cool: Is he right or am I? I never tried AC, so I really don't know what he is talking about.
    EDIT: However, I have watched a fair amount of AC videos on YT because I was kinda interested in the BMWs in there. Just by watching it felt kinda not so realistic to me and I did not by it because of it.

richiespeedisback
    vor 3 Tagen (bearbeitet)

Not nearly enough movement in the car in GT6. By movement I mean the car itself, not the camera. It's a great game, but Assetto Corsa on PC is currently the most accurate simulation available to the general public, in terms of physics alone.

AC have also announced they are building a laser scanned Nordschleife, so I am happy as can be!

Racefreak1976 .

Assetto Corsa the best sim available!? Really? You're clueless my friend.

richiespeedisback

+Racefreak1976 . My opinion, but I actively drive on all the current simulations, iRacing, rFactor 2, Assetto Corsa, GTR 2, GTR Evo etc. There are two simulations I have driven that really "click" with real life, and that is Netkar Pro and Assetto Corsa.

Feel free to let me know what sim is best in your opinion, and then feel free to clarify what real driving experience leads you to think that...

Racefreak1976 .

+richiespeedisback I hope you don't feel too offended by my comment. In my opinion rFactor2 pretty much nails it with their tyre simulation and the realRoad tech.
    I have no real racing experience but 20 years of public road driving and 10 years of sim racing. (and I'm not exactly a good racer to be honest) Still rFactor has the best feel to it. FFB is far superior to any of the sims you mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2014
  16. yusupov

yusupov Registered

i know that dude, he's not talking BS or anything...it's his opinion & unless he's exaggerating his experience with other sims its an informed one. he's talking about physics alone but you go on to talk about features that rf2 offer & AC doesnt. it seems to no ones right or wrong here...what id like to know, as he races bmws, is what AC captures that other games arent...enough that he seems to re prefer it as a driving experience atm even without weather, night, etc.

itd be cool if we cd have a chill discussion w someone like that about where strengths & faults lie in all the mainstream sims. but those "pure 'arcade' physics" AC uses def get the seal of approval from that dude...just one random guy on the internet with realwor.d experience & one stands out for him as 'simulating' it a notch above the others, no reason for him to say it if it wasnt what he truly thought.

17. Jamie Shorting

He's a club racer, doesn't mean he's any good. lol. Anyway, just one mans opinion. Clearly he likes Kunos stuff.

Kimi says all simulators are BS, that includes the ones the F1 teams use. Hamilton, for example, might say otherwise. Who is right?

18. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Yea, I'd also like to discuss this with him. Unfortunately, he didn't respond to my last reply. Guess I was too harsh for him or whatever.

Who's Kimi Raikonnen anyway? LOL ;)

19. Jamie Shorting

lol.

Yeah this dude is just another typical fanboy, arguing his opinion without any hard data. "It's the best" Why? "Because I said so". :p

20. yusupov

yusupov Registered

....no, sorry, he's not a typical fanboy. he very clearly lays it out that he's a race sim fan who does race as a hobby. of the sims he's tried, he thinkgs AC gets the basic car+track+physics aspect better than the others, hands down. his opinion. no one gave him a $2500 sim rig to post some youtube videos every once in awhile touting their product. he just stumbled across it and liked it.

so many rf2 fans live in this tiny elitist bubble & its not even worth it to them to try to understand contrary opinions. god i hope none of the ISI devs have that kind of mentality.