F1ASR92 by F1 ASR Modding Team (car by car)

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Sderenno, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

It's hilarious when the authors of the mod have explained that there is way too much grip and that they did this on purpose for league racing. They said all along that there may be a more accurate "historic edition" at some point. The 643 may not be perfectly accurate, but it is going down the path of more accuracy than the '92 mod. I happen to enjoy it more and find it both more fun and more satisfying to drive, even though it's a bit more difficult to keep on the track.

Enjoy your chuckling. But if either of you is clueless enough to think that the '92 mod is representative of a real 1992 F1 car, then I will have to cry for you rather than laugh at you.

Most people prefer dumbed-down physics. That's why console titles outsell sim titles 100 to 1 (or more). Don't confuse fun with realistic. The 92 mod is better than a console experience because it has rF2 underpinning it, but the design philosophy is closer to console than sim. And it's a ton of fun. I just happen to like the '91 approach even more.

2. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Marc, would that explain why the AI in the '92 mod is about ten seconds faster than the AI in the '91 cars... I guess yes if they are running on grippier physics.

3. argo0

argo0 Registered

This is my understanding of the situation too

4. Surrexen

Surrexen Registered

Well this is going to be awkward, I sent talent files to ASR weeks ago which they agreed to include in the next update of the mod ...

5. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Interesting, because the ASR guy I emailed with definitly said he'd appreciate them...

How did you set up yours? I don't mind better stuff :)

6. Surrexen

Surrexen Registered

Here is what I sent to them:

View attachment 15255

Driver speed is based on the drivers overall 1992 season result. Driver qualifying speed is based on a ranking of the drivers average qualifying position over the 1992 season (with a couple of minor adjustments).

For best results, set the practice and qualifying sessions to be private so the AI cars don’t get in each other’s way.

7. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Sounds mostly like what I did, but I couldn't find qualifying results so easily - or did you add them up from Wikipedia entries?

I can't unpack the file right now - did you use a wide spread of AI speed (all 100 points of it)? What did you do with Startskill, Agression (personality traits...)?

I really don't care what ASR uses, yours sounds more detailed.

8. Surrexen

Surrexen Registered

The spread was from 100 down to about 3 from memory. IE 32 drivers seperated by roughly 3 points each (with some tweaks for good measure). I put a spreadsheet together and looked up each rounds qualifying results and averaged them. I didn't do loads with startskill but I did make some usual strong starters have higher values. I'll probably end up reviewing this further for next version if I do one. Baked in a bit of video game logic for aggression, where the higher up you get the more aggressive the drivers are, similar for composure, the obvious drivers won't easily crack under pressure etc (Senna/Mansell/Schumacher).

I've tested it all pretty heavily, and I'm quite happy with the way it plays out so far.

9. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I noticed a few tracks the cars don't like hopping kerbs... and their avoidance of accidents and overly aggressive defense of a place to near ramming the player off the road, is that a track tweak or AI tweak?

10. Surrexen

Surrexen Registered

That's a track issue, AIW fastest path defines where they run. Sometimes the path isn't 'smooth' and causes eratic behaviour. Also If the cars run too much kerb they get upset (sometimes). Even with perfect fastest path I think their is a baked in variance ... might be track noise variable? I'm not 100% sure on that one.

11. Surrexen

Surrexen Registered

Also overly aggressive defence could be to do with an overly aggressive block path in AIW ... but I haven't done much with block paths yet *shrug*

12. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Yes.

13. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Sounds like you invested more effort than me in the qualifying and startskill, our pure speed ratings should then be about the same (100/32). For agression and composure I did the same - the "known good drivers" have similar high values, whereas the less known the guy is, the more likely he is to be tame and inconsistent (min skill also).

I hope ASR includes yours, then I don't have to pack it manually :)

14. Woodee

Woodee Registered

The overly aggressive defence isn't purely an ASR 92 problem... most cars in rF2 are a bit aggressive even at the default 25% setting :)

While these cars don't like hopping curves it is quite magic to see them squirm while braking or getting on the power :D

I just wish that tin tops where you can rub bumpers was a bit different in behaviour from open wheel cars which don't seem to mind pushing from the rear. Unless they are different and I am just imagining! ;)

15. Surrexen

Surrexen Registered

That's exactly what I'm saying, its not an ASR problem at all ... it's related to default AI behaviours and/or track AIW file settings. The vehicle mod has no control over this.

Absolutely right about watching them squirm! The best by far!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2014
  16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

So all these cars have 100% identical physics in terms of everything - engine, weight, COG, ride heights, setup options, aero, etc. etc. etc.???...

17. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

They are very even in performance, but retain some individual stuff (number of gears for example).

18. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

According to my mod manager I have the v1.70 of this wonderful mod. I have joined servers before just fine. However I am currently trying to join a few servers running these cars and they're all saying I don't have the mod.

Server 1: "JUST-RACING-.RU F1 1992"
    &
    Server 2: "<4ET F1-92-RRF>"

The version numbers according to the get-mod pop-up match mine (v170), however, instead of saying 1 mod (F1 ASR 1992) it literally has every single car listed separately (all are v170) 1 by 1 and wants me to download them...

Server 3: Can't remember the name

This one only came up with the name of the entire mod instead of each car 1 by 1, but just had a "1" at the end instead of "170". I'm guessing this was simply a case of the server using an older/different version of the mod?

Also, I see nothing in the OP of this thread or the Third Party Section; is V1.70 still the most recent version of this mod?

Thanks.

19. Fahol

Fahol Registered

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

So I need to download all the cars again and have a double install in order to join the servers that list the cars 1 by 1?