Please ISI include some plugins in the core

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by SPASKIS, Jul 10, 2014.

1. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

It is nice to see the great contribution many people are doing by creating plugins to enhance the game or unable several options.

However, it is known that plugins might give problems and is not the right way to do some things. I wish some of the most useful features requiring plugins today would be included in game.

Which ones should be included or not is not the main point. ISI itself could decide it upon their criteria. My personal options would be:

- telemetry (not necessarily motec which is licensed and should require their permission to do it)

- delta best

- track map. (Easily configurable HUD)

- pedal overlay (something like ctrl+c or ctrl +f)

- TV overlay for streaming and replays.

- weather plugin

2. Frankysco

Frankysco Registered

Totally agree

3. misterchal

misterchal Registered

4. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

And how would plugin developers keep updating them then ? Also it would require ISI to ask for permission to actually include (and sell) these features. Plugins works as is :)

5. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Plugin developers would not maintain them any more. Being part of the core implies that it would be ISIs responsibility to update them when that is required.

I do not understand what you mean about permission. They would develop ingame features to do what plugins do. They would not reuse existing plugins.

6. Gerald Jacobson

Gerald Jacobson Registered

The plugin API is here to let the community to create add-ons. Integrate some of the community plugins feature into rF2 standard will increase the workload of ISI and will lower the reactivity of any plugin evolution/player request.

So ISI and the community will loose advantage with this kind of decision.

7. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

For sure any decision has advantages and disadvantages. However plugins are much more uncontrolled IMO. As you know with your tv plugin I simply cannot get back from desktop to the game which is really annoying for admin purposes where I need to switch to TS and remote desktop usually. Windowed mode does not work as effective so I finally had to uninstall your TV plugin. NO PROBLEMS SINCE THEN.

I really dont think that the workload reason makes any sense. They could also save a lot of work by abandoning the project itself! I wished they spent their time fulfilling community wishes and preferences rather than the community itself fulfilling them for free. When things get unstable, it is really easy for ISI to point at plugins or other external stuff as the reason for problems. In ISI they are experts in delegating their reponsibilities to third parties and blaming them later for problems. Typical bug solving recommendations and tips: did you have plugins installed? Was it third party content?

Instead of writing userguides they have a forum where the same basic questions are asked and replied many times. The amount of time it is lost this way is for sure much higher than the required to write the user guide.

The same thing can be applied to modding.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2014
  8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

How does it not make sense that developing and maintaining various plugins will take more time than not?

As for plugins and third-party content causing problems, of course that's possible. What you should really be asking is why do so many people report bugs and it turns out they were testing with a number of plugins or the root cause turns out to be a track or car? The first step in trying to work out whether a bug/crash is ISI's fault is to try and replicate it on a competely clean install, no plugins, no third party content. If it still happens then great, let ISI try and fix it.

Let them work on the actual core game features that we all know aren't fully implemented or bug free yet. If and when they decide that's finished then sure, let's ask them to implement features we're currently relying on plugin developers to give us, but in the meantime cut them some slack. At least dodgy plugins we (as a community) can fix; we can't do anything about the actual rF2 stuff.

9. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

The argument doea not make sense lazza. We are in the wish list subforum. It is simply stupid to argument that fulfilling a petition or wish takes time. PLEASE ISI Remove wish list subforum so that it does not take time from bug solving and development.

Clear now that it takes time cannot ba an argument?

10. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2014
  11. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Sad to read. In any case they aren't doing much to prevent anybody from using it without their support...

12. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I guess you will not comment on my reply to your post. I understand that you accept your reply was quite dumb becsuse nobody discussed that things took time. You seem to be contradicting every post I write. First here and later in the unstable forum. If you don't like what I write don't read it. Nobody forces you to do it. But please let me have my own wishes and ask my own questions. Thanks.

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Gee, sorry for not getting up in the middle of the night to reply...

Your point is valid, and I've been among those defending wishes that are exactly that. It's your anti-ISI tone I don't agree with, in this thread and others. If you just want to put forward or even discuss wishes, maybe keep it to wishes...

PS please note which of your posts I quoted, and what you said in it. For the record I have no problem with the first post, and maybe I should have said that to avoid confusion. Dumb of me I guess.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2014
  14. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

+ simvibe / simcommander motion