Just ran rFactor2 in 64 bit

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FFOman, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Well, I see it as a form of trolling really. There are always the same guys who have massive performance boosts up to 90% with every build, going from 100 fps to 190 fps for instance; they should now be around 100.000 fps........
    So....this is just another topic where guys can brag how much better the game is now, how much smoother and how much more fps their game is running even though ISI themselves said there wasn't going to be any gain in that department.

Same as colleague's when everyone got a christmas card; there's always one to two shouting around how nice it was there was 500 dollar in it.........

2. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Sure, yeah, trolling... :rolleyes:

3. Navigator

Navigator Registered

No, you're not; you had some awesome prove.

4. dsuspense

dsuspense Registered

I too did a clean install after doing updates for a while.
    No change in FPS between 32 and 64 bit.
    I was hoping tracks like Portugal would improve in framerate, but I still get stuttering in 64bit.
    Have not tried bigger grids.
    But overall I am glad 64bit will improve the game going forward...

5. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Well Portugal is very old. It really needs an update. It should improve how it performs and of course how it looks.

6. FFOman

FFOman Registered

How indeed? But unless you have the technical knowledge to understand how memory management is handled...and the way it affects the handoff from your graphics board to your processor, better balancing the load, and the additional processing speed provided by additional memory space, it is a difficult set of concepts to wrap your head around. A simple analogy for just one of these things is this: If you have a truck able to haul 50 tons of coal, and you must deliver 500 tons to a client, you would have to make 10 trips back and forth to complete the entire delivery, but if you had a truck able to haul 100 tons you would only need to make 5 trips!

7. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

That is about the size of it. 32 versus 64. Do you want to push data around in a 32bit wide path, or would you rather push stuff thru a 64bit wide path.
    That's why you see specs on motherboards and cpu's posting as to whether or not they support 64 bit.

8. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Don't forget its not just an update to 64, its also a sim-update and we have seen increased performances for individuals or certain specs on new builds before.
    could be placebo, could also be rf2 settling in better with a specific pc/config/whatever. pc's and their software are plain wizardry.

9. msportdan

msportdan Banned

im not sure i noticed an upgrade anywhere?!

10. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

I noticed no mentionable difference between the 32bit and 64bit builds (as expected), and that's a very good thing actually. Because, after all, 64bit needs to be stable for all of us to use in the future. It's the only way to be able to host a server with a very large grid on a very large track. So far there were no issues on my side which is very good considering how new the 64bit client is. Keep on ironing out the bugs some people are experiencing ISI and you got a very good, large memory footprint proof client for all our endurance racing needs. :)

11. Pepstain

Pepstain Registered

A step backwards in term of frame rate

Hi all,
    I tested the new biuld in comparison with the build 660. No sensible differences between 32 and 64 bit, ad a loss frame rate of about 12% respect to the build 660.:(
    You can read more about my test here

12. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Great article and nice site man, just started I see so good luck.

13. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

I run a similar system.

64 bit made a huge difference for me. From running between 25-30fps average, I can consistently get from 40-60fps depending on circuit and conditions. Massive leap forward.

14. Pepstain

Pepstain Registered

Thx,
    I hope you will follow my magazine.

Bye

15. MHansen

MHansen Registered

This is actually quite interesting, because I ran rfactor on a Core 2 Quad 2.83 GHz, w. 4 GB ram, ATI Radeon HD on Win 8 64bit Enterprise and it actually gave me worse performance, than 32bit. I drove a Corvette GT2 with Vette's and Camaros as opponent (15 ops) on Indianapolis Oval and whenever I saw the entire field in camera mode, the fps went down. I compared the same replay in 32bit and the performance was clearly better. (I appologize for my somewhat bad english, I an from Denmark so English is not my primary language).

16. MerlinC

MerlinC Registered

if you would have an Nvidea Gfx Card I would suspect that you are not running with the optimized settings because you missed to add the 64-bit exe to the profile of the Nvidea inspector. No clue whether AMD offers similar tools ?!

Sent with Tapatalk

17. BobDobbs

BobDobbs Registered

I took my fresh install of rF2, ran a few laps in 32-bit mode, then switched the EXE files to 64-bit and ran the same test over. The application loaded dramatically faster (about 2 sec. vs. 10) and frame rates were about 2X faster. Switched back to 32-bit and it went back to the old values. YMMV, but nothing else changed between launches.