Build 770 update problems

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by drdrum, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

How are they trying to force you? You just aren't getting something for nothing. I manually updated last build, wasn't hard. shrug.

2. Axeslayer

Axeslayer Registered

Download , install , job done . Don't really see an advantage in having the auto update .

3. RustyM

RustyM Registered

If your update tab is greyed out do this: download b770 lite, then in start menu, rFactor2/uninstall, then run the 770 lite installer. That's it. Your packages and player folder stays the same in your documents/rFactor2 folder. It didn't get uninstalled with the uninstall exe. Though I was prepared to have to install each car and track again.

The only issue I have is I cannot find anywhere it says I now have 770 ( I know I do, as like I said before, it runs a lot better) as the update tab is greyed out I can no longer see current build. Maybe a little more looking around will reveal current build.

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

It takes me less then 30 minutes to:

1. Rename my existing folder
    2. Install Lite build fresh
    3. Configure ....redo "EVERYTHING"
    4. Add content
    5. Add back setups and RR
    6. Host

Personally I have have never liked incremental updates it is a easy way out of a tiny bit of work and why. well people are too impatient I guess. ?

Then when a new build fails ( seen it happen 1,000 times ) who are the first to complain.

I never had a single build fail .......I do fresh lite install.

No one is forcing you to do anything, same ad nauseam rhetoric for 3 years with rfmod. :rolleyes:

Here is a help readme for Lemans 24Hour rF2

But I guess others know better then guys have run endurance races for years.

5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

It is very obvious that the average person does not want to go through a manual process to update their rF2 when there is already an automated installer available. Back in the official beta days, it was bad enough and the auto-installer itself has been far from perfect.

Of course the ultra-keeners will spend any amount of time fiddling and tweaking and manually installing. There are lots of them/us on here. It's too bad for ISI that there aren't enough to make a successful commercial venture, but regardless they stubbornly refuse to acknowledge that withdrawing auto-updating from any licensed user is a mistake and contributes to retaining the fringe/niche position of rF2.

I want rF2 to be dead simple to buy, install and update (continuously) because I would like it to be successful enough to get properly supported and finished. ISI needs at least double the number of people working on rF2 than they have now...but can't afford to hire them undoubtedly because the revenue flow from rF2 isn't sufficient to do so. Classic chicken and egg, but all the eggs are in ISI's basket (to mix metaphors). They can start cooking and selling those eggs in the most appealing manner possible (see competition on Steam or with sophisticated auto-updating functionality) and survive, or, continue to tell us to come and find the right eggs, pull them out of the basket ourselves and cook them our own damned selves hoping that we pay attention to an ever-changing recipe to end up with the delectable end product we crave.

If rF2 was a finished, award-winning, universally acclaimed product, then a company might get away with that stubborn, anti-customer approach. Since it's unfinished and far from successful (commercially), I will state again what I said years and months ago--don't make it difficult for people to give you money. Make it easy and make several ways and means to encourage people to want to support your product.

The almost universally negative feedback about this issue has been a time wasting distraction that further reinforces rF2's fringe status. Allowing license holders to auto-update would cost ISI next to nothing and on balance, would be a net gain since these conversations (including about the general user-unfriendliness of rF2) and help sessions wouldn't be occurring here and elsewhere where potential customers are influenced. Instead, people would be talking about how great it is to finally have a RR adjustment and other long overdue improvements.

6. RustyM

RustyM Registered

32 Bit AMD Athlon Dual Core 4450e 2.3 GHz, 4 GB ram, HD7700 40 inch single display
    obviously a new machine would do me wonders, but thanks to this build, I can go a while longer. :)

7. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

In your opinion.

Fact is nobody here knows ISIs bottom line and there is no sense in speculating what it is.

I've played a few games in my lifetime and I can't name one game that isnt' on steam that has an auto-updater. I swear, people will complain about the silliest of things.

All this stuff in written on their site. Heck they even have a demo and a one week refund period to allow you to see if you like the game but yet people still dump all over them. How many software companies offer those? I'm beginning to think ISI is the scrawny kid bullies like to pick on.

8. Spadge

Spadge Registered

Am I the only person getting a qt5core.dll error on starting the rf2 launcher?

Code:
    Faulting application launch rfactor.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module qt5core.dll, version 5.2.1.0, fault address 0x0001f00f.

I'm going to try reinstalling the thing from the lite installer.

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The fact auto-update requires a current subscription has been clearly communicated (on the website you download rF2 from, as well as this forum) since it was implemented.

If that's something you don't like, you either put up with it or don't get rF2. I don't understand all the "wow, really?" posts - if you missed such a simple and (obviously) important point before paying the $40+ for the game, how are you managing to configure it or tweak your car setup? And if spending that $40 was such a casual act then, why is $12 now such a burden?

10. Spadge

Spadge Registered

Reinstalling the thing from the lite installer didn't fix the problem. I'm running the game in Windows XP (so 32bit yeah) in a vmware virtual machine.

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

12. Spadge

Spadge Registered

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I agree it's not much fun, but a proper clean install generally fixes a lot of problems. And if nothing else will work at least it'll (hopefully) get you driving again ;)

14. Spadge

Spadge Registered

I tried reinstalling, backing up stuff, copying the registration stuff over so I wouldn't have to activate it ... didn't work, same error.

So then I just tried deleting the registration stuff ... and then it worked. I haven't tried reactivating it yet as it's just my dedi server and it doesn't really matter.

I wonder if that was all it needed to start with.

Thanks for the help though. I remember having runtime problems an update or two ago. Probably when that thread was current. Then I just fixed it by downloading and installing the appropriate vcredist_x86 to fix it.

15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

is 770 still the latest hip & happening build ??

I'm sure I saw a 772 (or a higher number build) knocking around

+ 770 safe to get serious about ? ( use rf2 fairly trouble free )

16. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

There is another build to try to ASAP fix a few problems but the same problems were still there. So they will start again next week. I think within a couple of weeks you will probably see another build.

17. ambig88

ambig88 Registered

Lets see, I bought RF2 when it was first available publicly as a beta. I don't recall seeing anything saying that Auto-Update would be a paid feature. In fact, I recall much of what we have now as being up in the air with no clear path forward. I shouldn't have to scour through a forum to find a post by someone 2 years ago saying that x feature would be a paid feature. I'm sorry, but that's bullsh*t.

It's 2014. I have AC in steam that updates automatically. I got it when it was first available as a beta on Steam (which it still is a beta). It updates automatically. I have Project CARS on Steam, and it updates automatically. I have F1 2013 that updates automatically. Pretty much every game I own updates automatically. It's not 1999. Such a simple feature is EXPECTED to be free if it exists. Some developers may not offer auto-update, but in that case, they usually offer an update installer on their website that only offers the files needed to update the game. Why? Because it's a waste of bandwidth on my side and their site to download a bunch of files I already have that are in a nice and tidy executable, when all I really need are half of what's in the full (or "Core") install. And the installer is already designed to simply update the files. The current method is complete crap!

And you want to talk about ISI's bottom line? I don't have all the financial stuff that they do. But I do know that hosting a 300 meg file that I have to download off of their server shouldn't be much different than having an FTP server with a client side FTP client that is dumbed down and setup to ONLY access a server that is owned and operated by ISI. Maybe they're using some other protocol? I don't know. I don't care. But if the server exists and is operating, then the cost of me accessing shouldn't be any different than me downloading the entire installer off of their website! Oh, and just out of spite, when I do download an update, I will make damn sure I do it from ISI's website and not a mirror or Bittorrent, or whatever other method is available of getting the file.

This will likely be my last purchase of anything ISI unless they step out of 1999. I can understand and accept that multiplayer is a paid feature (which I never used). But auto-update is just uncalled for. I dumped iRacing when they were Project Wildfire and started shutting down everyone and everything that they construed as competition (modified exes/injectors/scripts) and have sworn them off. Instead I had steered a few people towards ISI. Not anymore. It may not mean much, and that's fine. It's just a drop in the bucket really. But it takes many drops to fill a bucket, and I can only imagine the thoughts of some people who don't frequent here who have gone to try to update their game to only find that they can't (at least not easily).

18. melg

melg Registered

There's the door. Please remember to shut it when you leave.

19. TiTaN

TiTaN Registered

20. Armando

Armando Registered

This is public information since the first beta version of rFactor2 was available:
    http://rfactor.net/web/docs/what-are-the-online-services-i-renew-with-standard-version/

I understand you don't like it being this way, but don't blame ISI for not telling you it would be this way. I'm really surprised so many people didn't know about this.
    The lifetime version was introduced shortly after the standard version was available, yet there were people buying standard version who didn't care to know which features they would be missing if they didn't renew their license...