[REL] Hakosuka & 240z

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Benjamin Exell, Jul 1, 2014.

1. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

My sounds are fine, but they are quite low at idle. When I first fired one up, I was a little worried, but hit the gas and sound came up quite nicely.

2. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Fantastic, challenging mod! Thanks, Benjamin! Only comment I have is that if you are able to find time to finish it wrt LODs and whatever other functional things I expect this mod to be right up there with the best of them. Anyway, thanks again. Really like this one!

3. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Powerdrift Powerdrift Powerdrift :D
    The Hakosuka with the big engine is real good car for drifting.
    It seems to me that the 240z use the ISI Chevy sound.

Thanks again much fun to drive this baby's around the track!

4. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

Thanks a lot!

5. DaniloJF

DaniloJF Registered

Oh my god, thank you very much for this mod, i'll try it ASAP.

Here a video, that shows why i love this car

6. tjc

tjc Registered

Good stuff, sounds like the sort of course I`d love to do...

Thanks for the cars. Will test later. :)

7. Benjamin Exell

Benjamin Exell Registered

Yeah I just used the sounds from the SLS safety car for both of them. Would of loved to make my own if I knew how. Maybe someone on here would like to have a go :p

8. Benjamin Exell

Benjamin Exell Registered

Making no promises but I've been wanting to do that :)

9. Brack Jabham

Brack Jabham Registered

Great cars - thanks for your work Ben

10. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I've just driven the s*** out of the Hakosuka for two hours straight... AMAZING!!!
    If someone makes that diabolical engine sound, this is the only car I'll ever drive in rF2 forever..! ;):cool:

11. Truerider

Truerider Registered

Thank you Benjamin :cool:

12. RNeves

RNeves Registered

Next step is to remove the C6R sounds and give it more realistic ones.... But great mod...
    ;)

13. mtbboy

mtbboy Registered

Updated: Hakosuka: mirror works at medium player setting,not on low
    the Hakosuka is easy to drive it has a very stable and predictable handling

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2014
  14. Ricklandia

Ricklandia Registered

Ben,
    Thank you ever so much for the 240Z!
    I owned a '74 260 Z back in the 1980's and fell in love with them. Sadly that one was stolen, but I currently own a '73 240 which is sitting in my garage waiting for a little TLC to get it back on the road.

I'm wondering if you plan to refine this mod further? I'd like to offer some feedback... offered with respect and not to be a complete troll/tool! :p [all comments are specific to the 240Z BTW]

*Engine sounds - would love to help you round up some proper engine sounds! For me it's one of the things that make this car special. Nothing else sounds quite like it, and a nicely tuned Z straight 6 is absolutely music to the ears! A decent example I found on YouTube would be THIS but event this one sounds a bit muffled. Another good one is THIS but again a bit muffled and too much road/wind noise. Found THIS which is just STUNNING!! Makes me want to run out to the garage and get to work immediately! :D Another example here but perhaps the cleanest I've found so far might be THIS one

* The dash - bit out of proportion I'm afraid. The center gauges need to be larger, closer to the Tach/Speedo and placed higher. When in the driver seat, the three center gauges [as well as Speedo and Tach] actually sit high enough to make "bumps" in the dash . Not sure how the Euro or JDM market cars were, but on American models the Speedo and Tach are in reverse order [Speedo on the Left, Tach on the Right]

* Tranny - if the intent was to model a road version, they only came with a 4 Speed. I know a 5 speed is a popular transmission swap, especially if racing is the goal, but I'd love to have the option to go with the factory 4 speed. [EDIT - Correction, the 240 did indeed come with a 5 speed optional]

Again, all said with the greatest of respect and thanks!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2014
  15. VMaxMuffin

VMaxMuffin Registered

Hey, you guys get many more options in your 'native' LHD than us RHD people! Quit complaining! :p

Looking forward to trying out the mod :)

16. Minibull

Minibull Member

It shouldn't matter on a track, surely. It's not like you are driving through intersections and trying to see around parked cars...

It's a one way direction on a track, just learn where the wheels are and you should be ok.

17. Ricklandia

Ricklandia Registered

I am mistaken, apparently only the USA was limited to the 4 Speed.
    I'm trying to simulate the correct gear ratios but it's tough without being able to adjust the rear gear ratio. Found some original specs:

1970 through 1971 Factory Four/Five Speed Transmission Ratios 70/71 three piece case

U.S. Non-U.S.
    F4W71A FS5C71A
    1. 3.549 2.957
    2. 2.197 1.858
    3. 1.420 1.311
    4. 1.000 1.000
    5. n/a 0.852

RearGear 3.364 3.900

1972 through 1976 Factory Four/Five Speed Transmission Ratios 72/76 two piece case

U.S. Non-US
    F4W71B FS5C71B
    1. 3.592 2.906
    2. 2.246 1.902
    3. 1.415 1.308
    4. 1.000 1.000
    5 n/a 0.864

RearGear 3.36 3.900 (72 thru 76)

18. Ricklandia

Ricklandia Registered

Ben,
    I've been doing some tinkering about and had a few breakthroughs [at least for me as I'm NOT a modder!]
    Figured out how to adjust the gearbox/rear end and have it set with the default being very close to the factory 4SPD/5SPD [which are very close with the 5SPD basically being just an overdrive]. I must say it makes a big difference, it now 'feels' very much like a 240 - nice big and broad torque band between 4000 and 5700 RPM, 3rd gear now becomes your friend. I also started to track down the snap oversteer the base setup was suffering from and found a couple of things. The default weight distribution I believe is a bit off. From the factory, with no driver in the car they are actually just slightly front heavy [51/49], with driver slightly tail heavy [49/51]. With very little effort it's not difficult at all to get a perfect 50/50 balance [depending on fuel load which is rear of the rear axles unfortunately]. I reset the balance to be 49/51 and it made another big difference, although I'm going to try the 51/49 setup, which I think is actually more accurate.
    In terms of the configurable setup, the default setup has a sway bar on the rear and none on the front. 240's shipped from the factory with only a front bar and none on the rear. Yes, racers may wish to add a rear bar but I think you may find disconnecting the rear bar and adding in front bar will get the car nicely neutral and feeling much more like the real thing. I have mine setup with no rear bar and a "2" on the front for now. Beware overdriving it into the corner as too much speed will cause the rear to come around on you, better to temper your speed in and let that engine torque slingshot you out. :cool:
    Lastly, sound... I'm still just in the infant stages, but I'm learning how to create a sound pack. For now I've switched over the sound from the SLS to a "more appropriate" sound set. I'd prefer not to mention which one, but lets just say it sounds "bravissimo!" I'm wrapping up a week of well needed vacation and my goal is to figure out if I can make a true 240Z engine sound pack before it's over. :eek: If you're interested, I'd be honored to share the files I've been tinkering with. Just let me know!

19. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

^^THIS!

Absolutely fantastic mod! Fun2Race hosting this, ALL WELCOME!!

20. Ricklandia

Ricklandia Registered

Borrowed sounds from an RF1 mod which had an OHC inline six engine car. Sounds even better now. :)
    I'm going to have to put aside creating a true soundpack of my own until I get my Z back on the road. Finding good sound samples is tough, finding samples suitable to make loops is even harder. :(
    But it's been fun learning how it works.