We need auto lights pt 2, spotter

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by oqvist, Jun 17, 2014.

1. oqvist

oqvist Registered

Well since it was a decent request maybe not diplomatically formulated enough I add it here. A five second time period before you get dq for not putting on the lights is perhaps an unnecessary limitation. An option to disable this on the server sides for leagues that have their own marshals to cover this may work a bit better. I use headlights all the time since the message bar is hard to find while racing for me. Same with going the wrong way on track would be nice to be able to disable this DQ function in leagues where you know who you are racing with. Sometimes it´s safer to go the wrong way rather then back onto the tarmac.

Less work for the marshals with unnecessary UNDQ commands.

Maybe you could add a race engineer yelling in your ear to put the head lights on. Overall a spotter would be nice since for example lmps are very stealthy in the mirrors don´t make any noise and come up very fast. And to warn about yellow flags on the circuits or remind you if you are getting a blue flag.

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Thanks for the suggestion, oqvist.

3. boxer

boxer Registered

Agee.. i have been dq for both scenarios
    One while I could see the track clearly i didn't notice the lights message untill it was too late.... I also have seen the ai going around with no lights when its already too dark... so the answer is lights at all times... i think this may be track dependent... may be just changing the way these are displayed is enough... I think the whole message system could be inproved... i.e. penelty messages...they sould pop up without the neex to cycle throu the dsiplay options

4. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Yes I like the idea of the spotter giving an audible cue, I have been DQ'd once during a race missing that message, the track was still well lit and to be honest lights were not needed. Maybe an HDR thing, I have seen a dramatic difference in light levels at night between in on an off at night in the past. But aside from that it would be nice to hear more from the spotter. For me it adds a lot to the sense of having a team behind you. I do recall someone saying there are a lot of audio files associated with the spotter that we don't hear used yet. So maybe this kind of stuff is on the cards.

5. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

+1 for a spotter message. I only play offline so consequence are not that dramatic for me, just frustrating when missed the text and you make a pretty good start between other cars without touched them, overtaking like a God, and suddenly, Boom! ;)

6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

For those that don't know ISI asked in the main forum ages ago for "spotter chat" ideas, as in various things the spotter would say.
    I and others gave loads of examples so I can smell a big Spotter Update coming one day, hopefully not too soon seeing as ISI have been shifting more weight to the Oval scene recently.

Anyway, pretty sure "lights required" was in that thread so fear not, it should happen :)

7. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

The title says 'We need auto lights'. It's in already, I used it in a 1 hour fun race we had with the G5's at Lemans.
    All you do is Un-assign the Headlight button from your controller settings. Make sure it says -Empty-.
    Trust me it does work. The lights come on automatically when it got dark, and turned off when it got light again.

But if they could change the length of time before we get DQ'ed if you do set a light button would be good.

8. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

What we do in our league and also did in rF1 was edit the GDB file for the track and change "Headlights Required" to false. Once you do that you can run around in the dark if you want without getting a DQ. Obviously a human knows when the headlights are needed. Anyways, this is a workaround until ISI comes up with something better. But the post above outlines another workaround that sounds even better. Although that work around wouldn't work if the track doesn't enforce the use of headlights. Hahaha

9. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Could the GDB edit me made as installable (and uninstallable) patch to an existing track?

10. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Yes.

11. Woodee

Woodee Registered

When you get a chance could you possibly write a page with a step by step guide on the the wiki link below?

12. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Sure

13. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Thanks Noel. Also feel free to post any of your tutorial videos on there.

14. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

The lights and DQ connection is being looked at, at the very least. Thanks for proper representation of feedback. Might actually be in next build, if not possible after.

15. oqvist

oqvist Registered

Cool.

16. Zizza

Zizza Registered

It is good for the lights to enter the High Beam for flashing during night races. at this time you can only turn off and on the lights continuously and it's dangerous because the car you have to overtake can only see you when the lights are on and there might be some misunderstanding

17. Miro

Miro Registered

Not sure if that would be a good solution Noel. We had an endurance race with multiclas GT's. I was in a GT4 car and a dude who was about to overtake me in GT2 car. Just in the braking zone he was next to me and I turned into him because he had no headlights and I was not aware he is there. He actually had no headlight on because he had HDR turned off and he could see enough just like in daylight and I couldn't see anything really with HDR on nor did I hear him.

The problem I had with the DQ without headlights was once as I was just in a twisty section of the track battling with two other cars and my headlight button is on the keyboard. No chance I had enough time to turn them on without crashing there. Just got DQ'd because I had not enough time to turn them on. I like the way it is now but we just would need a few more warnings or more time before we get DQ'd IMO.

18. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Well all though the release notes don't say it. There has been an improvement to the headlight warning. So this shouldn't be an issue anymore.