rFactor2 64 bit exe announcemet ???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by evphelps, Jun 13, 2014.

1. evphelps

evphelps Registered

2. spider19462000

spider19462000 Registered

3. freew67

freew67 Registered

Page 94 on in the Jeremy Miller Tweets post

4. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

This is awesome news!

5. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

6. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Hopefully the main news page (linked above) is where one should expect to find this!!

7. freew67

freew67 Registered

8. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

We could have a "Whats going on" thread. Closed thread. I would like to have a thread that could tell me what isi are working or what are the next updates, news, etc.

That twiiter threads are just impossible to follow with so much OT.

9. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

Image Space incorporated has announced to be offering 64-bit executables for their rFactor 2 simulation soon.

The 64 bit executables will come with various advantages in terms of memory usage as explained by ISI below:

We’ve been hard at work recently on the overall experience rFactor 2 provides. Key to this; decreasing the chances of users running out of system memory, and increasing code efficiency with more range for CPU instructions, improving overall performance.

What uses system memory, and why? Well, system memory (RAM) has much faster access times than a hard drive or swap file. Games use RAM to read, write and temporarily store items for quicker access than other storage methods.

For something like rFactor 2, this means every car, race track, car livery, track building, texture of grass, asphalt, concrete – everything you see in the simulation – takes up RAM. The more cars you add (be they A.I. or in multiplayer), the larger the track, or the more detail you have to load, the more RAM is filled.

With a 32-bit environment, it is only possible to allocate to 4GB of RAM. These days, with increased texture sizes, more accurate 3D models – like we have been producing since our first release of Silverstone Circuit – 4GB is becoming a lower ceiling.

A 64-bit environment is a fantastic thing, it can theoretically handle 17.2 billion GB of RAM. By going 64-bit, you effectively take the ceiling off. Systems with 8GB, 16GB or more can take advantage by running on larger tracks, with higher texture levels and more cars.

We highly recommend that upon release, those with suitable systems try our new 64bit executables. However, what about those of you who can’t? Good news! We have also made memory usage gains in 32-bit during this process. Not only will those using our new 64-bit executables gain from this work, 32-bit users will as well, although it is important to remember that in 32-bit, a 4GB limit will always hang over you if you run high texture levels, or many opponent cars. However, going forward, effective use of the swap file beyond the RAM limit may allow you to bypass halted execution at the expense of performance.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2014
  10. freew67

freew67 Registered

11. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

:) sweet -DOH!

12. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

13. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I have proposed to Tim to make an " official rfactor2 news and general discussions" where we can post discuss every rf2 news, twitter, new mods, rumors......but he didn't even respond to me!

14. osella

osella Registered

+1
    it would be better to make some official thread with nothing but important news like this.
    I don't like social networks, I try to avoid fb twitter all of that at all costs, so I won't support them. People don't own anything on fb or twitter, you're just making it easier for these couple giga corporations to target ads at you, they own all of your content, why not rely on own forum/site. Why should I sort through personal tweets of Tim if I want to read about rf2? This is one of those things at ISI I just don't get, such a great company, genius maybe even, that gave us the best sims ever, and they make so many weird mistakes since rf2 was released. Twitter.. omg. I don't want to read that it's "Friday already" as Tim tweeted today. I would want to read that rf2 is 64bit though. Nothing personal against Tim, but please don't rely so much on those antisocial crapsites.. sure FB is free.. except it's not.

15. freew67

freew67 Registered

http://isiforums.net/f/forumdisplay.php/10-News-Notifications

That is the official section of the forum for news. Right there... That is an official rF2 news section. When you click on the rF2 section of the forum, that is basically a General Discussion section. Tim probably gets loads of pm/dm/am/fm from folks with comments/suggestions/favors/moans/etc everyday. You cant expect him to reply to them all. If you look at that news section, the 64 bit info is on there. Not sure why people feel we need even more places to check to find info. You are on the net, you are being monitored. You don't want to be monitored, don't go on the internet. I don't understand the owning thing about FB or Twitter. Ive never spent a dime on FB or Twitter. Plus no one is forcing you to post or even use these services. I use an ad blocker so track me all you want, I don't see them. At that, I worked for an USA based airline during 9/11. I'm used to being tracked. lol

16. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Ehm......I don't see what this has to do with it? ;)
    You were the one in some other topic to start screaming we should not go off topic...........but...........

First part; you are right. It's there. People should look around and then start complaining ;)

17. osella

osella Registered

To defend freew, it was me who started OT about disliking social networks not him..

The thing about owning is simple, you don't own any text or image or video or whatever you ever post on fb or twitter, they can delete anything at will and use it for any purpose almost.. I wouldn't use social networks for anything else than talking about todays pizza maybe, but certainly not for updates on a commercial title that thousands will want to read, only the least important things (if I used it at all). Internet gives us the possibility to decentralize everything, why deliberately centralize all informations on servers belonging to one trillion dollar company.
    /OT

But still, OK there is the the official thread, but not sure if every piece of info gets there, lots of it is still only on twitter.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2014
  18. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I wonder why!?!?! There are too many threads for him to monitor on these matters already.

19. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Creating an unique thread would be useful to prevent those mini thread! You will have one thread where you can discuss news, rumors, twitter....
    For example, if I find a news that ISI has a new license with the Honda, normally I would create a new thread about this news, but having an official rf2 news and gene......I will post this news in this thread without overloading the forum with multiple mini threads! It would make the life easer to Tim and to us!

20. freew67

freew67 Registered

-Marc exactly.

-osella While Jeremys tweets post can get OT, once you can thru the mess most of the time people just comment on what he tweets. Not all of Tims tweets get posted but people try to assume he always talking about rF. lol I would say 98% of what gets posted on FB/Twitter and any other NSA collection site does make it to the forum here. If its anything important, like the 64 stuff, it will get its own post in the news section. There are billions of people on FB and Twitter. Care for it or not, it makes sense to use them.

-Navigator See, Im not the one who went off topic :p