[WIP] Spec Miata

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by PlickBadger, Jun 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Dice

Black Dice Registered

This should be fun. Thank you for your work. Looking forward to it.

2. Twista

Twista Registered

Glad to have helped! Even with the sound bug, it's a real blast to drive. It feels quite pure to drive, like the Skippy I guess.

3. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

I can't make the clutch thing work yet, so here's beta v.92

I didn't get all of Twista's skins incorporated yet either. Sorry bud. I will get them all in on the next release :)

Driving Tip
    Be patient with your entry speed! This is the critical mistake that SM drivers make. You can carry tons of speed through turns, but you have to get the entry speed right. If you come in too hot, lift a little and preemptively counter steer.. you can save it to a point :)

I recommend the following FFB settings:
    G25/27:
    Car Specific FFB MULT = 1.24
    FFB Smoothing = 4
    Steering torque minimum="0.08000"

T500
    Car Specific FFB MULT = 1.00
    FFB Smoothing = 0
    Steering torque minimum="0.03000"

I recommend setting your engine volume to 35%. Spec Miatas are LOUD. Setting the this to 35% is effectively the same as wearing ear plugs, plus you'll be able to use TS or Vent and hear the spotter.

Here are the painting files

Here's the deal with coloring the other parts of the car
    Materials are mapped as such
    WCExtra0="Interior"
    WCExtra1="Floor"
    WCExtra2="Rims"
    WCExtra3="Cage"

use SM_INT.psd to create the following files
    SM##Interior.dds
    SM##Rims.dds
    SM##Cage.dds

use SM_Floor.psd to create
    SM##Floor.dds

You can also use the WCWINDSHIELDIN.psd and WCWINDSHIELDOUT.psd to make custom windshields
    SM##WCWINDSHIELDIN.dds
    SM##WCWINDSHIELDOUT.dds

Sheesh, what a long winded post - sorry.

Please report bugs to this thread. I will entertain other suggestions, but I'm really only looking for bugs :)

Oh.. these are tons of fun @ Loch Drummond

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2014
  4. myself9

myself9 Registered

Thank you!

5. NWDogg

NWDogg Registered

Super fun car! Thanks a ton for this, I wasn't actually expecting it to be this good honestly. I wish I could compare it to the iRacing version, but I can't really remember it too well since rF2 dragged me away from there last year. Don't need that one now anyway.

Just a little thing I noticed, and it may be just my imagination...but the steering wheel looks slightly off-set to the right of the screen, instead of being perfectly centered. In fact, it would be the entire viewpoint from the driver's eyes that is off-set, making the cockpit shifted to the right of the screen. Very slightly though, and again maybe it is just me and my imagination.

Otherwise great job. I am assuming the default set-up is the way one would find this car on the street, or from the dealership? If so, I like that...it makes tinkering with the set-up easier, IMO. Thanks again PB, always a joy to try your mods!

6. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

7. msportdan

msportdan Banned

Im liking the look of this car, we need more "track day" cars imo, like radicals, caterhams etc... Mini coopers would be nice too..

But this will nicely fill that gap .. :) well done, will try tonight...

8. Hermmie

Hermmie Registered

Great work, this car handles really well :) Love it.

Are you really able to adjust this much on the real life version of the car suspension wise ( 4-way dampers ) ? And is it really run with neutral toe on the rear end? If i can suggest any improvement, i think it would be to dial in some toe in for the rear ( maybe 0.2 or 0.3 ) and reduce the rear anti roll bar, just to make the car more stable with the default setup. Faster and more experienced drivers will be able to adjust it to their liking, adding a bit more rear stability will maybe help novice or less experienced drivers to get a hang of the car more quickly. Oh and the steering lock can go up to 55°, i like big steering lock ranges to use my 900° wheel, but 55° seems somewhat high. Tested the car with 40°, felt great.

Sounds are great too, its so much fun to drive this car properly with a gated shifter, heel & toe on downshifts.. pure fun :) thanks again for this great little mod

9. Minibull

Minibull Member

This thing is a blast man, great stuff :)

I've been chugging around Silverstone, both proper racing and messing around drifting. I chucked the rear pressures way up, rear roll bar way up, dropped it low, dropped the cambers down, maxxed the steering angle and did my best to try and lock the diff and it is a real hoot going sideways. You can get some very well controlled drifts going.
    Oh how I'd love to get a more powerful engine in it, and make a drift car for rF2 XD

Serious note, this has got to be one of those cars that will be popular with many people. Not too hard to get into, like the Clios and the F3's are in multiplayer.

10. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

Thanks for all the feedback - much appreciated!

Not quite as much adjust-ability is available in the real world, but people do crazy things to their setups. That said, I wanted to provide as much flexibility as possible. Most SpecMiatas are setup with very neutral toe and very stiff front and rear sway bars. The default setup is almost identical to my real car.

The Steering Lock range is probably too radical, but I wanted to give folks the opportunity to really tweak their feel

Here's how the steering is setup in real life
    Turns to Lock 2.8
    2.8 x 360 = 1008
    1008/18/2 = 28 steering lock

Most people don't have a wheel that can do 1008 degrees of rotation

So I translated to
    Turns to Lock 2.1
    2.1 x 360 = 756
    756/18/2 = 21 steering lock

It should honestly be quite easy to jump in and drive for most new folks. Driving very fast laps requires perfect entry speed and no loss of momentum... just the way it should be :)

For example:
    Mid Ohio - 1:46-7s
    Lime Rock - 1:02s

These are some real world fast laps. I can't quite match them, but I can get close and it takes an almost perfect lap :)

11. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

The cockpit.ini is setup as follows
    Eyepoint=(0.38, 0.86, 0.51) // Driver eyepoint (cockpit view only) ( LEFT/RIGHT, UP/DOWN, FORWARD/BACK)

It's definitely tweak-able if others concur. I don't necessarily see it, but then again I'm pretty old and my eyes are bad :)

12. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

Thanks!

There's a huge drifting community out there, which is another reason for the wide range of setup values. There will eventually be a supercharged version of this mod

13. Minibull

Minibull Member

Awesome to hear :)

I went ahead and dropped the 370z engine into the Miata, for a laugh...yeeeeaa...wheelspin any time you want, now drifting is really fun XD

14. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

ROFL!!! monster miata!

15. hariseldon

hariseldon Registered

Thank you for putting this out, I'll be trying it out tonight. Much appreciated sir.

16. Black Dice

Black Dice Registered

The cockpit is a bit to the right. I concur with the pp. These are great fun. Model is better than expected from the "eye candy" post. LOL. One other thing I noticed and it is very minor. In the rotating garage (by Ales) the rear of the car protrudes far into the camera as you rotate so the inside of the model can be seen through. Just making you aware of it. If you use older hdr profiles like Tosch's instead of automation, it looks best on track for replays FYI. Back to Fuji! Thanks again!

17. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

The LS2 is a more common swap (IRL) though. Hahahaha!

18. jrcn50

jrcn50 Registered

Thanks for this car : much fun with but I'd be happy with some setups (Minibull and Hermmie, if you can share yours?) and with a more powerfull engine.

Thank you again, great car!!

19. Black Dice

Black Dice Registered

Automation looks quite good on Mid Ohio. Was able to do a 49 with a few laps. (Stock set) Man 46-47 will be a challenge. I am diggin this a lot.

20. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

Thanks to Noel, I believe this is setup on GetMod now. I will definitely address the cocked up cockpit in the next release. Sorry about that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.