Modder work on ISI download page

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, May 30, 2014.

1. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Already taken care of. Durge will see to that :p

Only half kidding because I do believe community will report things that are inappropriate.

2. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Would like to see some active modder to pitch in, how do they think this kind of thing would benefit them/rF2, and what would be the best way to handle license donations?

Creations like Poznan, Croft, Dunsfold, Longford and Symmons Plains Raceway are great examples of what these mod tracks should look/be like for them to compete for the license.

3. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I can't speak for others but if I had created some tracks and they were being updated to become official content

I think I'd feel great about it, to contribute to a good title etc
    ( +my name in the credits or on the loading page etc )

assuming I'd shared it anyway .....this way more people are going to enjoy it

rfactor 2 is lacking quality tracks right now
    ( with each ISI release things are getting better )

it's wide open for a good mod team to work on a quality track pack of say 4 tracks for a series and release as payware
    I'm quite surprised it's not already happened, be brill if a form of laser scanning was involved too as rfactor2 is fully capable, my money is waiting !

4. Minibull

Minibull Member

Yeah, I suppose it would then mean a group can focus on the mod and get something back for their efforts. Still, I would have thought more people would be happy paying ISI for ISI developed content. E.g. actually enabling them to try and licence a full series of vehicles, rather than just the one. Still, they don't roll that way, and I look forward to seeing them announce their plans if this does get the "go ahead".

5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I think after the updates/corrections on the DW12 +the core updates including contact patch / skid sounds etc
    that cars going to be a serious hit, imagine another +4 high quality Indy tracks those together with Indianapolis and the different configs we have is enough to create a decent series / league etc

anyone got a laser scanner

6. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

yes your right, I don't really mind where my monies go providing the content is quality
    I've often thought why don't ISI sub contract to a really good mod group for a series of tracks and those tracks are special payware ( to fund the whole thing ) even on a pre-order / deposit basis
    shoot for using a point cloud too even if those mobile rotary types at least some sort of laser scanned tracks come to rfactor 2 then ( that will seriously wake up the Iracing crowd and there's quite a lot of them )

even if the mod group are the ones that's are charging if ISI don't want the back lash of " now their charging for some content" etc
    not that I see anything wrong with this, there's decent free stuff from ISI
    (but ISI take a % of the monies for their connection in the project etc )

no idea of quantities -amount of people initially putting down deposits though

edit : or pay for a point cloud ( economy type ) and commission a mod group or the decent & willing modders here to add the textures etc

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2014
  7. freew67

freew67 Registered

No, not everyone is happy paying for content. I will take a slightly less than great free track over a pay track any day. Now your dealing with, how much of the money goes to ISI? What is the modders cut if any? Yes they made it, but its ISI's license. That is a slippery slope I feel. Im a huge oval fan, but I wont pay a single dime for IRacing again.

Plus, my guess ISI would only be able to spit out a track every 2-3 months (research, making it, testing). Probably even longer for cars. Not many groups out there tbh that can produce top notch quality cars/tracks as well.

8. freew67

freew67 Registered

That's to easy to manipulate as well.

9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I've kind of got fedup giving Iracing monies too
    on top of subscription a member has to pay for extra content, but looses it if one stops paying a subscription,
    each season (4 times per year) the tracks get jumbled up to almost guarantee that the you no longer own all the tracks on the list for the season you run for the new season ( as new ones are added )
    then a new car comes out which is hyped ( usually thanks to ISR ) so the masses buy that car & move to that series
    which leaves you on mostly empty servers lol .....after a while you get fedup with it

anyway putting the above to the side ( that turned into a rant ), if there was a series of tracks in the works as a special project say 4 quality tracks ( to the latest standards as released by ISI ) and maybe even point cloud based
    you wouldn't contribute say 10 or 20 U.S dollars for all 4 ? ( say deposit 4 dollars and 4 dollars for each track on release)

this is as well as any free track that comes from ISI ( is it about 2 per year? )
    I'm guessing that will continue

re. how much monies to modders & ISI ....don't know that's up to them to sort out

10. Minibull

Minibull Member

Yeah, that's why I didn't say everyone would be happy to pay for content. :)
    Probably why it would make sense to be a funded thing, rather than a paid "DLC" type thing. Those that would want to contribute could, those that don't, don't. I know there is a ton of hassles with these types of things, but like all posts on these forums, just getting my opinion on the matter out there. At the minute, I suppose the only way someone could give extra if they really wanted to is to currently buy another copy of the game XD.

What I meant before is that if people were going to be paying a small amount of money for something ingame, I feel that more people would be happier if that money was going straight to ISI and it was just ISI who were building the content, rather than paying for an unsure split of money to a group of modders + ISI.

11. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

which ever way as long as it works then that would be good

I only have about 8 tracks installed , rfactor 2 is very weak on tracks IMO

if ISI associate themselves with a lot of the mod tracks out there (in their present state)
    it would be bad for reputation of them and the title

12. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I think its a great idea Tim. More exposure for modders/groups, better for users and maybe even better for leagues. (I recently had to test about 20 tracks to find 8 that where up to (several) standards for league racing and the first track we started using got removed right away due to previously undiscovered issues)

But more importantly it might be a boost in quality in general, if I was a track maker I would want to get 'up there' so perhaps work a bit longer and harder on it to make it a contender. Nothing motivates people more then being listed on a high profile content section.

I'm not sure if ISI would assist modders much, doubt that tbh, but they could help out with info-pages for content. Once submitted and approved, set it up like the current car/tracks pages, that would make it really shine and set it apart from anything else.
    And create more incentive for others to get up there as well.
    A simple list of avail content might not do the job as the current modding database shows. it has to have a hype-feel to it.

Ratings, not so sure. its always gonna create controversy and flaming. no matter how its setup.
    Personally I would like it though, because it would give me options to search for rated content and that would help allot. just like rfc, it helps, no matter as to 'why' individuals rated it, its still a good tool.

13. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Ratings aren't necessary but screenshots are a must. As far as tracks go, notes are a must as well. Information such as number of pit stalls, DRS zones and I'm sure other stuff I can't think of right now.

14. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I may have misunderstood slightly

if I understand correctly now -a new section linked to the ISI rfactor 2 site which is a section to organise existing mods with a rating system similar to rfactor central with useful info and user ratings
    (as opposed to forum posts )

yes a good idea ( we'll know what to avoid faster then lol ),
    if this is also being suggested : although anything that's being added to the official ISI track list regardless of who originated it must be of high quality one way or another

just my thoughts

15. ethone

ethone Registered

+1. Give the information for visitors to make their own decisions on whether or not to to give it a try. Don't fool visitors (or let others fool them into) picking a track because it has many manipulable downloads/votes.

A couple of years ago (damn rF2 is old ;)) I started doing some track reviews that went in that direction. The necessary info, screenshots, somewhat clinical description, download links, a video. Here's what it looked like for Croft.

16. MapleHamwich

MapleHamwich Registered

Hmm, I really don't like this idea. In my opinion, ISI needs to hold a standard for their product, and the only real way to do that is to limit officially supported content to ISI created content. Allowing modding is great and everything, but officially hosting and promoting mod content seems to only serve to water down the product, to me.

If ISI was to officially partner with a handful of carefully selected modders to release content, that would be different. Content could be created with some minor assistance from ISI and be tested in house by ISI. Then the standard could be kept relatively under control. But user rated content... I dunno. I don't think users have enough reliability to accurately rate content. Especially given the varying personal standards for rating style and enjoyment.

17. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

It is quite funny to listen to some people asking for quality tracks, argumenting that there are too many low quality ones but would not want to spend a single euro for them.

The worst part is that they do not accept that some people might not think like them. I cannot write what I think about them because I would be directly banned from the forum.

enviado mediante tapatalk

18. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Revive CTDP, Virtua-LM, and a couple of other folks who've gone the privateer way.

19. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

like the idea, a simple rating system would be enough i think, maybe thumbs up and down only by people registered here and with rF2 verified would be quite reliable. Also some sort of "ISI HOT TIP" highest rating would be cool, where the Track team would examine the track and say wether its really good or not so much... :) ISI michelin starts or something :)

Defintetly only the stuff with atleast decent quality shoud be listed on ISI page, as some tracks are simply disaster and only make rF2 look horrible.

Same for UI, currently i know about only one UI, but it has a certain number of issues that limit its functionality, so would not call it top notch work for it, yet the user rating would be very high i pressume

20. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Why so abrasive man? Anyway, one mans trash is another mans treasure and that's why I think some screen shots would do instead of a ranking system. Just my two cents though.