A Comparison of the Features of Different Sims

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guy Moulton, May 26, 2014.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

You sure?
    If it doesn't impact the tires, it's not pick up.
    We model a dynamic racing line that can build up and reduce in marbles on the race track according to where people have driven. We don't model the pick up of that onto the tires, which is what pick up is. So your post I quoted first, saying we have pick up, would be what I am replying to attempting to correct. Is this OK with you?

2. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

If you go back even farther in the thread I said it isn't visible on the tires and doesn't impact the tires grip level. I'm not sure where anything I have said need correcting. If you don't want to market the fact the RealRoad can be dirtied up AND cleaned then so be it. I do see what you are trying to say, but it is exactly what I have said from the very beginning. No point in arguing this anymore.

I will never call it "Pick Up" again. I promise. But for marketing I think it would be good to at least acknowledge that the line can be cleaned. Just like it can be dried by driving on the wet line.

3. 88mphTim

I don't want to say we have pick up, because we don't. That's all. I really didn't expect to be argued with about it. I think it might not be too great actually to lie to people.

Ask them to add another column about cleaning it up if you want to, but as that isn't what pick up is, I suggest calling it something else. Jesus. All I said was that we don't have what everyone else refers to as pick up. I never debated with you that the racing line can change, my original comment was about pick up, the actual pick up, something you said was wrong.

But yes, maybe there should be two columns. Dynamic racing line (meaning grip can build AND adjust) and Rubber build up (which might be dynamically built, or not - maybe 3 columns?). We have both, some sims might only have the latter, or none. But there won't be a tick for us in the pick up column, because pick up relates to tire grip (from running off track, in marbles, gravel, etc, after you did it), however wrong you think I am.

I feel like I have just been to the dentist.

4. Golanv

Golanv Registered

5. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Allready a lot in there. Great idea. I don't have my pc right now and its a pain to do it with my smartphone but what about:

Chassiflex in rf2
    Diff-flex in iracing
    Driverswaps
    push to pass
    Turbo engine calculation
    DRS

Only from the top of my head....

l8ter!

6. Rik

Rik Registered

it is missing one of the most important things: the sound. implemented Surround yes / no

7. msportdan

msportdan Banned

People arguing with the team about the game THEY made.
    Really?

cmon guys let it be

8. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Pick up impacts tire grip AND track grip. I was simply saying that RealRoad supports p&$-up but the tires don't. Tim is simply trying to pick apart the fact that I referred to it as Pick Up which is fine. I understand why you wouldn't want to confuse people and refer to is as pickup. Rather than trying to argue, a simple post like, "yes driving through the marbles will clean them up but we don't really want to call it pick up because it isn't impacting the tires yet" would have been sufficient.

I wouldn't add a line about cleaning the line up when going into the marbles though. The devs say it's possible but Tim very carefully refuses to confirm it. If it was added to this chart someone would just remove it and quote one of Tim's posts.

I don't feel like I went to the dentist though. To me it feels like I just got a visit from my ex wife who loved to focus on one part of a discussion that had very little significance just to distract from the original discussion.

I apologize though for saying "Tim is wrong". That wasn't the best choice of words and it always pisses me off when people start a post off with saying someone is wrong.

9. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Actually the impact of a single car going off line, on the state of the road (real or virtual) is very neglible. I doupt as implemented this has a large meaning for the actual gameplay. It just allows the game to "move" the realroad if multiple drivers start changing the line.

10. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

I added DirectX11 graphics - while we all agree that looks aren't the most important thing, it's just fair to include. I know that just using a certain API version doesn't automatically make things look better, but by and large that box basically means "super modern GFX or not".

11. 88mphTim

I never refused to confirm that the line can change back again. I confirmed that at least twice. A marbled area can become a rubbered area, yes, this wasn't what I said rf2 didn't have and you said was wrong to be said though, and the basis for the required disagreement to correct that. My focus was on pickup because that was the topic being discussed.

Sent using Tapatalk

12. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I think Tim is right in this case.
    When you drive on grass for example it will affect tire temps and therefore grip but not as a direct effect on grip due to dirtiness, but for the temperature change which usually makes tires very hot due to sliding.

BTW, IMO the heating due to sliding is a bit excessive (best seen in terms of tire wear). I think that friction coefficient is not being correctly considered in this. It is the sliding force vs distance (amount of heat energy generated due to sliding) what should be taken into account.

enviado mediante tapatalk

13. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

We can't include everything. Things like DX11 are not very important, not is surround sound. The spreadsheet is getting too cluttered. I am talking about racing features, not fluff.

14. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Season mode is coming to rF2?

Edit - Am I the only one who sees this in the doc?

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2014
  15. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Some kind of accounting for GFX is needed I think. Visual cues are the strongest we get on PC.

16. Emery

Emery Registered

Rather than a checkbox for DX11, you should note what version of DX is supported. Otherwise, what will you do when sims start supporting DX12?

17. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

Noel, I think you both agree somewhat, but you have to look at it another way. I was thinking of a nice comparison, and I think I thought of one :)

Picture this: You have an ice-cream in your hand. After some time it's gone. That doesn't mean you have eaten it, it also could just have melted.
    Just like with the marbles in rF2. They dissappear, but that doesn't mean that they have been picked up ('been eaten'). In the case of rF2 the marbles just have dissappeared ('melted') ;)

If Tim says it isn't being picked up, then it isn't, I'm pretty sure. Even though it does indeed dissappear

18. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Not bad but it's the driving over the marbles the makes them "melt". ;)

19. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

well, driving over it is the factor to make it 'melt', just as the temperature is the factor for the ice-cream melting or not ;)

20. Minibull

Minibull Member

I know rF2 does not model tyre pickup, so I picture it as the marbles and junk gets "blown" away from the track as the cars pass over it, in the turbulent wind. XD