A Comparison of the Features of Different Sims

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guy Moulton, May 26, 2014.

1. Jdz

Jdz Registered

I agree with these three.

Night racing should really be 'Dynamic Time of Day', iRacing has night racing but I believe they have stoped developing night version of tracks as they will eventually have dynamic time of day.

Working pit lane is sort of covered under 'manual pit lane' imo, though I wonder what defines it as being manual. I might be wrong but pCARS doesn't plan to allow full control in pit lane (AI control has to be toggled off at the moment).

Formation lap is something good to include, I have tried to find out what sims have this before, would it be possible to go further and list whether it has Formation/Standing and Formation/Rolling starts?

Thanks for starting it Guy!

;)

2. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Yes, I would include type of starts available.

3. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I got your message, Noel- good to know that rF2 does this. Changed the spreadsheet to reflect the pick up of marbles. I thought I was imagining things.

Yeah, I was in a couple R07 leagues and I used a live telemetry tool that showed live engine wear. That was a feature of that league- if you abuse your engine, you are down on power and at 75% engine wear for the race. The source is me. After 3 engines in practice/quali/warm up is when you got the used engine for the race. If you wrecked more engines after 3, you still started with the same engine, so there was no penalty beyond 3. Plus R07 had components wear in a multi-race weekend. If you banged up your car in race 1, you started race 2 with some damaged parts.

And in rF2, rF1 and R07 you can destroy your engine. You can bring it right down to 0%. The random % wear on an engine is the LifeTimeVar (which I hate- you should never start randomly down on engine wear or power). Blowing 3 engines and calculated engine wear are different things.

4. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Looking at the spreadsheet- I didn't start this to bash any one sim, just to highlight the features of various sims. I didn't even include RRRE at first (I had kind of forgotten about it) but geez- it doesn't tick a lot of boxes does it? WTH does it have to offer for its high price tag? There 3 blank boxes but I have a feeling they are all No's as well.

5. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

I added "WRS" World Racing Series. None of the fields coloured, though. Did I do something wrong?

6. yusupov

yusupov Registered

AC has valued setups & uses sliders to adjust the values...i dont think its confusing that that = value based setup is it??

7. David Wright

David Wright Registered

R3E is free :)

8. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

the rF2 demo also comes with one car and one track, but it's not free. Free to Play is not free.

You have to buy what you want to drive. Look at the DTM content- it's as expensive as GTRE was but comes with only 3 cars and a fraction of the tracks. In RRRE, if you were to buy the number of cars that shipped with R07, GTRE etc you'd be in the poor house!

9. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I fixed it for you. In the future, add columns to the middle of the other columns not outside the boundaries then drag the column over to where it needs to be otherwise it won't adopt the conditional formatting rules.

10. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Understood, my bad :)

11. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

I changed the Marbles/Dirt/Gravel Pickup in RF2 to NO. Tim himself said you don't "mess up the tires" by picking up stuff, which is the intention behind that feature. The fact you might "clean up" the offline areas doesn't seem to impact your grip as I understand it here.

12. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Dude, Tim is wrong on this one. Tim isn't a dev, you can't expect him to know every little detail. Pick up does happen. It doesn't impact the tires (as I have said several times), but it does impact RealRoad or clean up marbles which does impact grip.

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2014
  13. Emery

Emery Registered

Well, it's got tracks by feels3. Tempting, but not quite enough on that single point. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2014
  14. Emery

Emery Registered

Doesn't rF1's dynamic night racing rate the *9 footnote? I know the latitude is in the GDB and that affects "sun" position so that the shadows are correct.

15. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

rFactor 2 does not have pickup. If it doesn't impact the tires, it's not pick up. Pick up is named for items being picked up, affecting the tire grip afterwards. You're not describing that. Again, rFactor 2 does not have pick up.

What you're describing as pick up, is realroad. An area not racing line (with marbles formed, perhaps) that gets used, becomes racing line, not by the tire picking anything up, but by a car running on that area of the track in the same way the racing line develops anywhere. Please learn what pick up is. Because although marbles are called pick up, it's the act of them being picked up by the tire and losing grip afterwards that is the defining portion of the name. Running over marbles in rF2 has no lasting effect once off them, because nothing is picked up, which is what pick up is describing...

16. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Tim, I am well aware of what pickup is. It has been confirmed elsewhere that driving on the dirty line will "clean it up". As I have said 3 times already, it picks it up off the track but doesn't visibly show on the tire or impact the tires. Although cleaning the dirty line will impact grip.

17. 88mphTim

Again, pick up isn't related to cleaning up the racing line, it's about the tire picking up that debris and the tire being affected. It's about the tire. The tire. The tire. This does not happen in rFactor 2. If you run on the grass, you have pickup from the grass. We don't do that either. Do you understand? The instant you are off the marbles, you are no longer affect by them, because you picked nothing up. We don't do pick up.

18. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Okay okay Tim. You win. Not sure how you clean the dirty line if the junk isn't being picked up. I suppose it could just being blown off the track too. But call it what you want. Terrance has pointed out that driving offline will "clean it up a little" which I very clearly described. So you just don't want to call it "pick up"... Okay.

Anyways I tried to PM you a link to the post Terence made but you have PMs disabled.

19. 88mphTim

Again, you're talking about the racing line being cleaned up, not about anything being picked up and affecting the tire after that. Pick up is the loss of grip due to things being stuck to the tire. We don't model pick up. We model the lack of grip ontop of it.

20. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Yes, that is EXACTLY what I said... Several times.