A Comparison of the Features of Different Sims

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guy Moulton, May 26, 2014.

1. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Tire deformation could do with clarity. Are we talking visual or simulated? Both iR and AC simulate it but have no visual representation AFAIK....

2. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Simulated. I changed the spreadsheet to reflect this as well as a couple others to clarify that it means simulated not necessarily visual

What's funny though is that one of the sims that nobody thinks as a sim- the F1 series- ticks more boxes than most other "hardcore" sims.

I also added safety car AND cautions as a feature

3. msportdan

msportdan Banned

The features need to be disected into realism. OF course the f1 games has a lot of features, but are these features realistic. nope..

dont see the point of this table to be honest .. sorry guy.

4. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Debate the realism of the features here if you want, but the spreadsheet is only a comparison of whether the features actually exist.

5. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Especially when one can be extremely subjective about it

6. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

I removed F1 2010 just this weekend, it was my openwheel fix until the FR3.5 came along.

Most criticism goes against the physics, which are a bit binary (as I realized when I seriously got into RF2). Also the fact that AI cars are not actually driving their shown lap times on track during Q and P (i.e. their times are randomized, and some random AI is running around just to give you impression of traffic but the two don't match). What eventually bothered me too much was the lack of Telemetry, because I have no good way of improving my times if I can't see my detailed sheets and power/brake curves.

But as a "Simcade" title it's actually pretty good with lots of little details, 2011 was maybe the best of it (2012 removed full lenght race weekends). It has consistent graphical detail across 19 tracks, proper career and season modes... which is often where "simulators" fall flat, i.e. giving me a reason WHY I want to win against the AI.

7. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

IMHO the F1 games are a complete sim but in a different way. They don't drive like a sim completely, but they simulate more of the racing experience than other sims do. I think being able to destroy your car and engine and eat dozens of sets of tires in a 15 min quali session is every but as arcadish as a lack of telemetry or the car handling in an unrealistic way.

But that's all debate and opinion. No one can define what a racing sim really is.

8. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Who added Live For Speed then left the entire column blank? I'm going to get rid of it if it is completely blank.

9. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Laser scanned tracks isn't a game feature, it's a track feature. rF1 had laser scanned tracks. rF2 is perfectly capable of it too.

10. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Guy, what exactly do you mean by engine management and tire management?

11. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Also, marble pickup is already modeled in rF2. Not visible on the tires but driving offline will "clean" the line and driving repeatedly through wet spots will dry them.

12. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I added *9. :)

13. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

R3E really shines, eh ? ;)

14. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

If engine management means different mappings or also overheating/negative effects of running too high, then F1 needs a correction.

Tire Management should be about degrading grip as tire ages - I think.

15. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Tire and engine management: you have a limited supply of tires or engines over a race weekend or a season. Race 07 gave you 3 engines to trash in a weekend then you started the race with a worn engine. the F1 games have an engine allotment over the season. Also the F1 games limit the number of tires you can use over a weekend.

Yes of course any moddable sim can support laser scanned tracks. Does the sim specifically include laser scanned tracks from the game developer as stock content.

rF2 has marbles, but the tires do not pick up rubber.

16. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

They don't "pick up" as in show up on the tire but running offline will in fact clean the line.

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Yes, going offline will have less grip, but does rF2 simulate a temporary loss of grip, even when on the proper line, from something like getting your tyres dirty from picking up marbles (from going offline) or something like going off-track and picking up dirt/dust/mud/grass/water on your tyres?

18. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

How about adding lines for ..

*Dynamic Time of 24 hour day? (i know you got day and night but can you do a 24 hour race?)

*Working Pit lane ?

*Animated pit crew?

*Damage model?

*Spotter?

*Formation lap?

I can not think of a good header name, but I hate games where you cross the finish line and the game just ends, you don't get to do a victory lap or donuts etc. Makes them feel so arcade. "Warm down lap?", "Victory lap?"

Move lines "Flatspotting of tires" and "Visual Tire Deformation" one above each other and add also "Visual Tire Wear" too.

19. Carlos Cavalcanti

Carlos Cavalcanti Registered

I do not understand Cause speak ill of the Rfactor 2 graphic looks that video I guess not need more than that I may worship the work of ISI
    http://youtu.be/oB7UaoZONY8

20. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Is that a fact ? There has always been a "LifetimeVar" in gMotor2-engined sims, which would result in the 'health' and potential lifetime of an engine to vary a certain percentage, could be say +/- 20% - never heard of a certain amount of 100% engines over a weekend, source ?