A Comparison of the Features of Different Sims

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guy Moulton, May 26, 2014.

1. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I'm tempted to add a row with a value of Bankrupt? So at least SRW has something......

2. Minibull

Minibull Member

[​IMG]

:eek:

3. pas74

pas74 Registered

i added Tire deformation ...for me it's a feature...:cool:

4. Ashes

Ashes Registered

Added conditional formatting :)
    Love the idea of this btw

5. Led566

Led566 Registered

6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I always thought this was lack of grip due to being on the marbles, not necessarily pickup in the visual sense but a slippier off rubber area. So that's wrong and essentially marbles are purely a visible treat with a green track underneath? That right?

7. msportdan

msportdan Banned

I added authentic Ai with human behaviour.

8. Minibull

Minibull Member

The marbles are visible and do affect the grip when running over them. Pickup though, is not simulated, in that the tyres do not pick up and calculate debris and other junk that may stick to the tyre. So the marbles will affect your grip levels at the moment you are running over them, but they won't stick to your tyres and change grip levels/characteristics back on the clear track. Same goes for running on the dirt.

Divebombing into T1 at the start of a race...ramming...driving the wrong way....asking for setups as soon as they join server....XD

9. msportdan

msportdan Banned

ive raced many ai, its my most critical observation. I find its the best of the sims out there.

10. Minibull

Minibull Member

Just having a laugh mate, all good

11. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Sorry, I deleted that row. That is an opinion since there's no way to measure AI with human behavior vs. AI (which is already a feature). I'm trying to keep this from being a subjective review open for debate- I want to keep it an objective comparison of features.

12. Minibull

Minibull Member

My issues with it is how are some of these columns defined? Is it just visual tyre pickup? Is it affecting the physics or just cosmetic? Is it not visible but affecting the physics behind the scenes?
    What happens when someone makes a laser scanned track for a game like rf2 where the devs aren't doing them? The LIDAR laguna wip comes to mind...
    Is LIDAR then in its own category then? More accurate track surface than standard laser scan (from my meagre understanding).
    It's finicky of me, but some of the categories can be interpreted in certain ways.

13. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

I'd suggest to add the Telemetry function, the external plugin support and maybe a detailed list of data available (eg for displays, dashboards etc..). I think this is an important aspect for a sim...:)

14. Tuttle

Lidar it is laser scanned but there is a BIG difference(mostly in accuracy, resolution, PC density and surround buildings/structures scanning capabilities) between ground laser scanned tracks and aerial LIDARS.

15. Minibull

Minibull Member

Ah right cheers man, got them mixed up XD

16. boblevieux

boblevieux Registered

Online spectator mode, how many spectators can handle a server ?

17. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Great idea!

18. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Telemetry is a big one, good suggestion - added.

19. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Laser scanned is laser scanned, not Lidar. Laser scanning in particular is a big deal to some people, but I am not considering modded tracks, only the official content. Tire pickup is physical, marble build up is physical and graphical. Telemetry is a good one to add

20. Tuttle

LIDAR it is laser scan. Tracks are scanned using Lidar, which is just an acronym...:) LIDAR stay for Light Detection And Ranging and this is a LIDAR head: http://www.simnewsdaily.com/wp-cont...Racing-Scanning-of-Donington-Park-Started.jpg

iRacing use LIDAR as for Google Steetview or Assetto Corsa etc..

A good easy info paper

And the rFactor Pro track description:

• Circuit modelling
      A large library of High-Def circuit models built from accurate LiDAR surveys is available. LiDAR based track databases include most of the F1 circuits, North American Indy & NASCAR circuits as well as La Sarthe, Nordschleife and a Vehicle Dynamics proving ground with lane-changes, split Mu and low-Mu surfaces, a handling circuit with inclines and programmable surfaces.
      For new tracks we can conduct accurate LiDAR and photographic surveys.
      Track detail is achieved by mapping survey photographs onto a LiDAR point-cloud generated road surface. We offer three quality levels, Engineering Quality - equivalent to a traditional low-quality engineering simulator, Low-Definition - equivalent to contemporary game standards of graphics and High-Definition - near photo-realistic circuit models running ambient occlusion.