Indy car and IMS Now Available

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, May 24, 2014.

1. datanode

datanode Registered

How are you comparing this? Are you measuring wheel angle on the wheels of the car model e.g. not comparing the visible wheel representation vs your actual rotation.

Unfortunately I also haven't heard about this. Where did this information come from?

The driver requests rack speed (ratio) and maximum throw, don't they? Which are the options we have.

This does describe a variable steering ratio but do you mean variable power assisted steering? I have heard race cars have that. Possibly dw12.

Two very different things though.

2. datanode

datanode Registered

I said possible, I don't think race cars necessarily have them. Neither am I saying that no race car has ever had them.

I was trying to understand where the OP got the information and saw some mentions of variable power assisted which HE might of confused with the information relating to what seemed like variable steering ratios.

In any case, yes it is generally more road tech, but there are all sorts of things to do with steering on a dw12 for safety. I don't know that the latest version has ;) dampening / variable power assisted are viable.

That might of been confusing sorry will be more clear next time?

Maybe ISI can help us understand whether it is dampened or has this feature or even what the OP said?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2014
  3. Natureboy

Natureboy Registered

It does not have a nonlinear rack as the OP believes. Steered angle is not quite linear but that has to do with steering geometry and is already part of the car.

Why do so many people question ISI, they are experts in vehicle simulation who consult with experts on the vehicles they model.

There are aspects of this sim that are not finished yet that will change over time (contact patch, air density, wind, real road) and the sim will improve - even from its already impressive state. But, this is a consumer based sim, its not intended to be used by engineers to develop setups. There are aspects to the DW12 like dampers that are open to the teams - different damper internals can make this an almost entirely different car. Sorry, but I don't believe we will be getting an in-game damper editor or simulation tool - too bad because that is actually critical to the simulation of the car and not going to happen.

So, why state that an incorrect feature is critical to simulate the car properly? OT - Why complain that lap times are not the same as what we saw at the Indy race? Put the same driver in that same car at the same track on different days and you get different lap times - different time of day = different laptime.

This is a sim, not reality - however it simulates the driving experience very very well. If you want to reproduce real laptimes in a game on a given day its a very simple task, not a sim - you can program that in excel with enough data. A sim will only ever give you something like the real thing, no matter how much detail is included or how intricate the physics are.

Lots of posts seem to say - I have no idea but I think it's like... - let ISI do their work.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2014
  4. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Because people believe what they read and see by self proclaimed experts on forums and youtube. Like the English say "lemmings".

5. datanode

datanode Registered

Ah ok, sorry was a bit defensive :/ but I kinda wanted to understand the OP topic.

Which I still don't know whether it just manifests from confusion of terminology or misinformation.

There isn't that much detail surrounding what is and isn't implemented on the real car as you have alluded to. In fact I think you hit the nail square on ;)

6. Natureboy

Natureboy Registered

The power steering talk in indycar has to do with helping some drivers turn the wheel easier as the steering effort can be large on high downforce settings. If it comes it could possibly be configurable for output strength but it would still only be a conventional power assisted steering. The variable steering ratios mentioned in street cars come from steer by wire systems which indycar does not have.

The steering damper is meant to work under high impact loads such as contact with another car, wall or possibly curbing and large bumbs. It would not generally be something noticed under normal conditions. There was talk of aluminum steering components, these would be designed to reduce steering impact in a crash also, not to make any difference in normal conditions.

I'm pretty sure the OP was confused between items such as ackerman, toe and general steering geometry.

Sorry I'm a bit frustrated - all the talk from reviews and such just adds up.

7. Blood-1

Blood-1 Registered

The variable ratio steering rack was introduced as an option on the previous IndyCar in 2008 to try to reduce the steering effort for smaller drivers. My understanding is it wasn't very popular and wasn't used on the new car.

8. speed1

speed1 Banned

With respect to the used steering ratio, linear I can hardly imagine, this cars are too fast, very likely they will be slower around the center, apart from any geometry influential.

The steering in rf2's Indy is slow in standard but rather linearly and I honestly did not pay attention but important for the particular characteristics of the car it still is. I suppose it is integrated with the car model, if it is not I hope it is someday.

9. Thor

Thor Registered

How to put AI with Road Course Configuration?

10. Coanda

Coanda Registered

I can confirm, AI wrongfully using low DF config on Mid-Ohio v2.00.

11. Jamie Shorting

My setups aren't saving for IMS 2014GP, no matter what car. Very strange.

12. boxer

boxer Registered

Anyone know how to get the driver custom suit to load?

Here is file name I using "DW28_DRIVER.dds"

13. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

DW28_altDRIVER
    DW28_alt is the car

14. boxer

boxer Registered

Thanks that worked ;)

15. Fabio Pittol

Fabio Pittol Registered

Hi guys,

Since we don't have a bottoming out sound (at least not a noticeable one), anyone knows what are the exact Front Ride Height equivalent to 0? I'm getting a whole lot of negative values for FR and FL Ride Height on Motec. They are being measured at the bottom of the Front Wing?

And about the Rear Ride Heights? Their 0 is really touching the ground? Can I relly on that?

Thanks in advance!

16. Jamie Shorting

The only thing I can say is try to figure it out. Run minimum ride heights and softest springs and do some laps at Portugal, avoiding the curbs and see if you can find bottom.

17. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

I'm wondering about the "bottoming out" sound. Last night I was racing (offline) at Indy, no one was home so I cranked the sound up. I became aware of a scrape-like sound at at turn (don't remember which one). I thought I had a sound glitch, but it repeatedly happened at the same spot. Didn't remember it till just now.
    Just sayin'

18. Jamie Shorting

I know for sure that there is a bottoming out sound for the FISI. Other cars I can't say for sure.

19. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

no doubt ISI devs are busy but does anyone know if the update for the DW12 is weeks away or maybe next year etc

I feel just a few tweeks could really make this simcar mainstream ( as well as the tire contact patch update )

it looks and sounds brill

( feels a small amount of traction control is present etc )

20. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Can't you do it yourself a bit?
    Even I managed ;)